hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2002
The eye of the storm
Visit site
Status
If things don't work out for me this year, (that would suck) was wondering what working in dental lab would be like. I hear its a great way to work on the handskills you need for dental school. How would one get into a dental lab? Are there schools for dental lab tech, or is it hands on training? Any input would be great.

HD

torque

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
yes, there are schools for dental lab technicians.
I think you will be able to find'em on yellowpages.
There are quite a lot of'em around here (CA), but I dont know about where you live.
All in all, good luck.

OP
hockeydentist

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2002
The eye of the storm
Visit site
Status
Rezdawg said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa...HD, come on bro, no negative thoughts! :thumbup:

I know but I would like to have some bases covered, so that I don't end up getting screwed! I just wish boston would contact me already, Its almost been a month. Or any of the schools that I have interviewed at for that matter.

HD

denty

dont eat yellow snow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
hockeydentist said:
If things don't work out for me this year, (that would suck) was wondering what working in dental lab would be like. I hear its a great way to work on the handskills you need for dental school. How would one get into a dental lab? Are there schools for dental lab tech, or is it hands on training? Any input would be great.

HD
I helped out a few times at my orthodontist's lab. i chisled the models of teeth and used this saw thing. I was 17 when i did it and was being taught for the first time. I think it would be easier now. but this might be completely different then what you are asking. :confused: maybe you can hook up with your dentist or orthodontist to just test try it.

mccarth2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Tampa, FL
Status
Go into Google and see if any of the dental labs in your area have websites or ask your dentist about the bigger labs in the area. I visited Fox Dental Labs here in Tampa on their website and they provide your training so you don't need experience and they take online applications. I would imagine because of the training involved they would want you to stay for at least a year, but I'm thinking of going to work there after I graduate (I'll have a year off).