Anyone accepted and ready to quit their Job already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like my job a lot (great people, relatively interesting research and flexibility) but my motivation has been in the toilet since I found out I'm in. Here's hoping it returns before my next meeting with my PI!

Members don't see this ad.

Hells Yeah! Same thing goes for me. It's like "senioritis" all over again.....

kirexhana said:
see, i'd be more discriminating on who to be nice to. there are nurses that are absolute angels, and there are ones that are stupid and inefficient as hell. Ex: this one nurse at a hospital i was working for told me that my job as a volunteer was to call patients into the triage area. no more, no less. the triage room is literally 5 feet away from the waiting room, separated by a door. *sigh*

Yeah, that's a good point. It's true for everybody, though. No group of people are across-the-board great. There really are some pain in the a$$ nurses. But luckily the nurse and PT I work with are amazing awesome. I guess the point is just more respect for the job, not just the people.

Members don't see this ad :)
TimmyTheWonderD said:
count me in! i am ready to be done with this night shift crap! :sleep: i am sick of sleeping the days away! i miss the sun, gosh darn it!

What sun??? In Chicagoland in winter? You ain't missin' much! :p

(I keeed, I keeed--hope you get to quit soon! :) )

woohoo! Today, I talked with my boss and decided my last day. It will be may 26. Still far off, but something to look forward to!!

I have been waiting to quit since my first acceptance as well. I have even scribbled in a countdown in my calendar as to how many weeks I have left. I would love to stop over the summer and have a break before med school, but it looks doubtful. What are you all doing about health insurance during the summer break???
-B

From any job you quit, you can use COBRA to get insurance for up to 18 months after the quit date. You have the same insurance as when you worked, but it is just a little more expensive. So when I quit my job after getting in a few places, I just used Cobra to keep my insurance.

otemd said:
From any job you quit, you can use COBRA to get insurance for up to 18 months after the quit date. You have the same insurance as when you worked, but it is just a little more expensive. So when I quit my job after getting in a few places, I just used Cobra to keep my insurance.

Or a lot more expensive. My company pays most of my insurance premiums, so my cost of insurance would more than double on cobra.

ClearDay said:
Wow... I didn't realize nannying pays. Do you mind leaking the ballpark figures?

I'm stuck at my job until June/July. I've only been working here for 5 months and am pretty sure all of my bosses (yes, I have several) will hate me if I quit now. Can't burn any bridges - I *might* have to rotate here during MS4. Plus, not working is out of the question right now.

Most nannies get somewhere between $10-$20/hour.

I was making something like $12/hour at my research position and at my mental health counseling position, and I am making a little more now.

Oh man....I absolutely can not wait. At work, all I can think of is starting medical school and has no interest in work.

I plan to quit my job in end of June. This will give me only 3 weeks before the start of school. I am hoping it would be enough.

Although I enjoy my job (microbiology research at Cargill), I constantly find myself day dreaming about medical school while at work and I often get on the internet to check out SDN and MUO's homepage. While I would like to quit, I realize that quitting at this point is stupid because I would miss the cash flow.

urgh. doesn't help that I messed up at work today. nothing apocalyptic, but i'm annoyed with myself, and would rather be off somewhere quaffing mango margaritas (are margaritas quaffable?). I desperately need March to roll around a little quicker so I can hear from those damn non-rolling schools and actually make real decisions about where I'm going, when I'm quitting, and where I'll be for the summer.

Oh. also, apart from wanting to quit my job, I would also like to be done with Orgo Lab. I have never hated a class more. Especially when it runs from 5-10pm on Thursday nights after a full day at work. Right now my nightmare is that I will fail the class, have my one acceptance vaporize and be forced to take the class AGAIN, as well as work an extra year and go through the entire application nightmare one more time. *shudders*

ahumdinger said:
woohoo! Today, I talked with my boss and decided my last day. It will be may 26. Still far off, but something to look forward to!!

That's my last day too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Stherling...I hear ya on the Orgo lab...Org 1 lab was my favorite...when I got to Org2 Lab...I thought shooting myself in the leg each week would be less painful!! I thought I was failing and ended up crying at work over it...but I ended up with the highest grade in the class so I guess everyone else was failing more.

I flippin hate my job and right now we are preparing for a PD conference that is next week...we are scrounging around trying to get all of our data since someone killed all the cells over christmas and postponed all of our experiments...everything is pretty much relying on me right now to produce the results. My boss is a jerk because he's so stressed out and the other person that works with me quit, so I had to take all of her responsibilities on top of running 8 gels a day!! Wheeewww....I've been holding that in for weeks!! If it weren't for my wedding in May I'd quit...but I have to throw in a few grand on the wedding unfortunately :oops:( But at least I'm getting a few publications out of it. :oops:)

I'm sooo ready to quit too! I actually really like my job, except I have to commute 2 hours each way to get there :mad:. And yesterday it took me 4 hours to get home :wow: Too bad I can't just drop everything and quit since I have to train the next techie.

good for you guys who got in! im not accepted yet, but im sooo ready to quit my job! Im training a visiting physician who has very little lab experience and little english...one deficiency is tolerable, but both??? ive always loved my job, but since this person came along, all i do is ruminate all day about how difficult things have been...to make it worse, she doesnt even plan of doing any research when she gets back to her country...she just wants to learn english! it REALLY sucks and a complete waste of time to teach someone who has no interest in research anyway! well, sorry, im going on and on. im just sooo sick and tired of all the added work i have to do bec of her...please save me and give an acceptance...any school, i'll take it... :(

Ahh, Ialso want to quit right now (I am currently at work waiting on a gel to transfer) but alas, that darn work ethic will not allow it, or the bank account. I had to redo luciferase assays, Q-PCR, and Western Blots and analyze all the data for this paper that needed fixing...all in one month. Venting done, I can't wait for school to start again. Sigh (I think this feeling will last about two weeks into med school, btw)

kdnysux....I so feel ya on the training someone who doesn't speak english!! I have to train someone (today and tomorrow) that came from China...he doesn't understand half of what I'm saying and I don't understand half of what he's saying!! My 6 hour gel took 9 hours AND my lunch!!!!! UGH!!! And I have to do it all again tomorrow! At least he told me I was a "good teacher"...that kinda made my day (no-one speaks positively to one another at my lab...kinda sad).

I absolutely HATE my job :( I started 1.5 weeks ago and I've been wanting to quit for a week. Jeezzzzz, never thought it would be so awful....

As much as I love the patients where I work, my last full-time week at PP is this week, then I start working two days/week so I can SKI! (Keeps my emergency skills sharp).

I CANT wait to leave- not because of my job itself- I really like what I do, but the people I work with are so incredibly immature. There are four FNPs and one PA - and all of them are awesome except ONE FNP, who has just been a total b*tch from day one. She found out I was becoming a physician and we're the same age, and she'll do things like make me wait for signatures an incredibly long time, where she'll sign someone else's orders immediately. She stopped even saying "good morning," and told me right before my UCSF interview that "those people are elitist," and then went off on how much it sucked. It seems small, but when she railed me in the hallway, publicly, in front of patients, for running a pregnancy test (that was totally reasonable) that she thought was superfluous, I had to fight to keep my cool. The manager was ticked at her for that, and ever since the mgr gave her some "constructive feedback" on her treatment of me (I said nothing, the mgr just heard), she's been queen biatch to me. Oh well, it's good training for residency I guess.
There's another medical assistant who's super lame and is her little puppy. I hate it. She's the only other MA who won't work as a team- we all do everything and she'll just say something flippant like, "Oh, *you're* patient needs a blood draw," while she's reading a magazine, and she's always on her cell phone trying to work some scam. I work at a Jerry-Springer central, I swear. There are two other MAs I love, and one FNP who is my absolute favorite, and the PA's been showing me IUD insertions every day she's there, but man, I am ready to get out of a poisonous environment.

And I get to go set up a river camp the 1st week of April and start being the med supervisor with that job again soon! Canyon work in June! It's still work, but it's different work- it's with friends I've had for 8 years, so I dig it.

I finally submitted my resignation letter. I'm officially out of my job of 4.5 years on May 18th! I know that I need to have some time off before med school because I've been working full time and going to school/volunteering the rest of my waking hours. But not having a job is freaking me out!! I keep thinking about possible bills that might come up, moving costs, etc. Plus, what do I do with almost 3 months off! Anyway, as it gets closure, I'm also feeling excitement that this resignation marks the beginning of the next step in my life. I just wish someone was paying me a salary while I take that step!!

Hey I am thinking about working... but is seems so limiting, I have a Masters so I scare people when it comes to intereviews.

I'm so ready to quit my job as well! My work is also like "Office Space". My co-workers are great but my boss is jus horrible and so we constantly refer to the movie around here. Unfortunately, I need the money so I'm going to stick around until the summer. It was jus funny to read that other people work in the "Office Space" environment too :)

I like my job but I want to hang out with the wife, spend time snowboarding, exercising and getting a puppy (and reading more). Oh well, I overloaded before my ifrst acceptance (signed up to do some extra work in the lab, taking a biochem class, and enough family commitments to give Mike Brady an aneurism (sp?)) now that I am in though mogtivation is hard to come by to go the extra mile
bad beefball very bad beefball!!!

Anybody out there ever been a "physician's office assistant"? If so,then I'm sure you can relate to my misery!!! Seriously, how on earth can people go through their entire lives doing office work? I'm glad I got to experience medicine from the evil, administrative side, but I don't think that I'll be able to last until June.

To all my colleagues caged in an office somewhere: I feel your pain! Have faith; med school is just around the corner :thumbup:

SOOO sick of my job. I've actually taken to standing in the doorway of the lab holding a coffee mug and saying "Heeeey (insert name), what's happening. That's great. Listen, could you (insert menial task I don't want to do). That'd be great." and then walk away.

Basically, I feel like I've accomplished everything I can in my lab, and I'm biding my time until I get accepted and can run away into the waiting arms of a med school. I just feel like I'm the only one that really cares when I get in 3 hours before most, have my hands in 3 projects in addition to my own, and have to train another tech to do my job before I leave. Plus my coworkers are some of the least mature people I know. It provides humor and fun, but 8 hours of play time with 1 hour of actual work doesnt make for a happy PI. PLUS, they give me crap for not wanting to go out and get black-out-drunk with them every Friday, when I could be chilling with my girlfriend or people I dont spend 45+ hours a week with. It's just turning into a weird dynamic that mingles personal life with work life and is absolutely consuming me...PLEASE PULL ME OFF OF A WAITLIST FOR MY SANITY.

Alright guys, I just set my last day of work -- JUNE 2! I am SO EXCITED :)

Don't get me wrong, I love my lab and I'll miss working there, but I feel like I'm done and it's time to move on. and now I can finally buy plane tickets to get out of here!