Anyone Accepted and Used a Professional Editing Service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3Anchors

Asst Professor of Biology
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been accepted to DO/MD school and have used "professional" PS writer- companies.... how long do they recommend the PS be?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been admitted to med school yet but I am using Admissions Consultants. They are a bit pricey but so far I think that it has been worth every penny. I guess I'll find out next year how good they really were:)

Isn't that kind of like hiring a grad student to write your psychology term paper?

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't that kind of like hiring a grad student to write your psychology term paper?

That's exactly what it's seem like.

I can't believe people actually do this. I guess, they must have a lot of money to spare..

I thought about that when I was applying last year but decided to do it myself with help from the writing center at school. And, it turned out fine.
I think the most important thing, IMO, is to have a compelling personal story that led you to medicine. Also, your commitment to community (in forms of community services or just volunteerism), leadership experiences, and academic and other notable achievement should be included. Plus, short mention of any reasons that contributed to weak points of your application(low GPA during one semester or low MCAT score) AMCAS's limit on the PS was 5300 characters(I had 5257 which turned out to be 916 words) AACOMAS's limit was slightly smaller.
Oh, and also, my pre-health advisor was helpful in giving me direction on my PS. And lastly, spend as much time as possible on revising.
Good Luck!