Anyone accepted at Jefferson?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbs152

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not this year, of course. I just want to know how strict they are about the LOR requirements. Anyone get an interview or accepted without a physics, biology, chemistry, humanities, ancient greek, gangsta rap letter?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was just 3 sci, 1 non sci; although it did strike me as too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, if you go to their website, they have this crazy requirement under the FAQ for where the letters have to be from. Maybe someone should call. (Not me, I am not applying there, I already have 16 schools to worry about!)

thank god i'm tight with the NWA.

chaeymaey said:
I thought it was just 3 sci, 1 non sci; although it did strike me as too much.

I thought that was for those who didn't have a premed committee. Cause i already submitted my application and my premed committee just sends 3 sci prof letters. should i send more?

i emailed them about the 4 letters from different departments thing. in looking through their website it said that if you couldn't do this to please inform them why you couldn't in the "additional info" thing on the app. oops, i didn't do that, so i emailed them. i got a standard response of: these are the letters we need......... then it said, "if you can not fulfill these requirements, please submit a letter informing us from whom we will be receiving letters." so that is what i am going to do :oops:

urmytiya said:
I thought that was for those who didn't have a premed committee. Cause i already submitted my application and my premed committee just sends 3 sci prof letters. should i send more?
If you're getting a committee letter, that's enough. :)

I would call them because Temple has a similar requirement (not as many though) and I called them today and they said that they would consider my LOR from health sciences professors instaed of meeting those requirements. I know NYMC will not let you alter though from what they require which sucks but i guess you save yourself some money this way.

Yeah, people who have a COMMITTEE letter don't get screwed. It is the people who have to send in the individual letters. Check out the schools' website, people.

jackieMD2007 said:
Yeah, people who have a COMMITTEE letter don't get screwed. It is the people who have to send in the individual letters. Check out the schools' website, people.
If only I could kidnap my committee and make them write a letter for you...

jackieMD2007 said:

did you read what i wrote up a few? it sounds to me like the 4 letters from different departments isn't super strict rule. i'm going to send a letter with my reason and a list of who they should be expecting. we will see from there.

I think MSAR should ask every school if they have unexpected requirements and publish those too

spospo said:
did you read what i wrote up a few? it sounds to me like the 4 letters from different departments isn't super strict rule. i'm going to send a letter with my reason and a list of who they should be expecting. we will see from there.

Yeah, I did. But the question is, will they still admit you if you don't have their little rule worked out? I mean, maybe they'll approve your exception, but if that little requirement was what they wanted (I am assuming they wouldn't post it if it wasn't what they wanted, why would they waste the time?), that makes me nervous.

jackieMD2007 said:
Yeah, I did. But the question is, will they still admit you if you don't have their little rule worked out? I mean, maybe they'll approve your exception, but if that little requirement was what they wanted (I am assuming they wouldn't post it if it wasn't what they wanted, why would they waste the time?), that makes me nervous.

yeah, makes me nervous too. but i already sent in my secondary, so i have to roll with what i got. i am great at justifying my actions in my head, so here mine is for this: they wouldn't have said that you can make exceptions if they didn't want them. if they wouldn't even give people a look without those 4 weird letters, then i think they would not say that they make exceptions. they would say only committee or these 4 letters. yes, i know that maybe they just want my money, but let me keep my illusion that they will allow them :D

Hey I'm starting Jeff for the class of 2010... When I had my comittee letter, it was:
1. biology prof

2. physics prof

3. biology prof again

4. my pottery prof

And I got in right away (not waitlisted)
It sounds like this requirement is for people who aren't using a comittee letter, but in my application process last year I did learn one thing: Do not rely soley on sdnet for info. Why don't one of you try calling the admissions office? I did that at least once for each school just to make sure I was doing it right.

DNAroolez said:
Hey I'm starting Jeff for the class of 2010... When I had my comittee letter, it was:
1. biology prof

2. physics prof

3. biology prof again

4. my pottery prof

And I got in right away (not waitlisted)
It sounds like this requirement is for people who aren't using a comittee letter, but in my application process last year I did learn one thing: Do not rely soley on sdnet for info. Why don't one of you try calling the admissions office? I did that at least once for each school just to make sure I was doing it right.

I called the admissions office to ask them what to do because I didn't take the SAT. The woman on the phone said it wasn't a concern and just to leave it blank. It sounded like the SAT was really more of a preference than a requirement, which got me thinking that maybe they weren't so strict on the LOR reqs.

Also, when you say committee letter, do you mean an actual pre-med committee interviewed you and wrote a letter or are you talking about a packet of letters your undergrad school sent out for you?