1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone accepted at Jefferson?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sbs152, Jul 19, 2006.

1. sbs152

sbs152 Member
    5+ Year Member

Not this year, of course. I just want to know how strict they are about the LOR requirements. Anyone get an interview or accepted without a physics, biology, chemistry, humanities, ancient greek, gangsta rap letter?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HelenaP

HelenaP Senior Member
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was wondering the same thing, so I posted a link to this thread in the Jefferson 2010 thread, with the hope that they would come over and enlighten us.

4. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I thought it was just 3 sci, 1 non sci; although it did strike me as too much.

5. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, if you go to their website, they have this crazy requirement under the FAQ for where the letters have to be from. Maybe someone should call. (Not me, I am not applying there, I already have 16 schools to worry about!)

6. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thank god i'm tight with the NWA.

7. khadija

khadija Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I thought that was for those who didn't have a premed committee. Cause i already submitted my application and my premed committee just sends 3 sci prof letters. should i send more?

8. spospo

spospo Going to extremes
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i emailed them about the 4 letters from different departments thing. in looking through their website it said that if you couldn't do this to please inform them why you couldn't in the "additional info" thing on the app. oops, i didn't do that, so i emailed them. i got a standard response of: these are the letters we need......... then it said, "if you can not fulfill these requirements, please submit a letter informing us from whom we will be receiving letters." so that is what i am going to do :oops:

9. Erina

Erina MS-IV
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you're getting a committee letter, that's enough. :)

10. cdngirl80

cdngirl80 Member
    2+ Year Member

I would call them because Temple has a similar requirement (not as many though) and I called them today and they said that they would consider my LOR from health sciences professors instaed of meeting those requirements. I know NYMC will not let you alter though from what they require which sucks but i guess you save yourself some money this way.

11. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, people who have a COMMITTEE letter don't get screwed. It is the people who have to send in the individual letters. Check out the schools' website, people.

12. Erina

Erina MS-IV
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If only I could kidnap my committee and make them write a letter for you...

13. spospo

spospo Going to extremes
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

did you read what i wrote up a few? it sounds to me like the 4 letters from different departments isn't super strict rule. i'm going to send a letter with my reason and a list of who they should be expecting. we will see from there.

14. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think MSAR should ask every school if they have unexpected requirements and publish those too

15. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I did. But the question is, will they still admit you if you don't have their little rule worked out? I mean, maybe they'll approve your exception, but if that little requirement was what they wanted (I am assuming they wouldn't post it if it wasn't what they wanted, why would they waste the time?), that makes me nervous.

16. spospo

spospo Going to extremes
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

yeah, makes me nervous too. but i already sent in my secondary, so i have to roll with what i got. i am great at justifying my actions in my head, so here mine is for this: they wouldn't have said that you can make exceptions if they didn't want them. if they wouldn't even give people a look without those 4 weird letters, then i think they would not say that they make exceptions. they would say only committee or these 4 letters. yes, i know that maybe they just want my money, but let me keep my illusion that they will allow them :D

17. DNAroolez

DNAroolez Alpha Helix
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey I'm starting Jeff for the class of 2010... When I had my comittee letter, it was:
    1. biology prof

2. physics prof

3. biology prof again

4. my pottery prof

And I got in right away (not waitlisted)
    It sounds like this requirement is for people who aren't using a comittee letter, but in my application process last year I did learn one thing: Do not rely soley on sdnet for info. Why don't one of you try calling the admissions office? I did that at least once for each school just to make sure I was doing it right.

18. sbs152

sbs152 Member
    5+ Year Member

I called the admissions office to ask them what to do because I didn't take the SAT. The woman on the phone said it wasn't a concern and just to leave it blank. It sounded like the SAT was really more of a preference than a requirement, which got me thinking that maybe they weren't so strict on the LOR reqs.

Also, when you say committee letter, do you mean an actual pre-med committee interviewed you and wrote a letter or are you talking about a packet of letters your undergrad school sent out for you?