anyone accepted to drew not attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novangel81

cali for life....I HOPE??
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has been accepted to Drew/UCLA that plans on not attending? And if you plan on not attending, how come?

You know who!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

exmike might not...

i think he is still in debate mode...

jlee9531 said:
exmike might not...

i think he is still in debate mode...

I am, but I promise to decide before the deadline. sorry, its just a really hard decision for me. I hope you guys that are waiting understand!

Members don't see this ad :)
exmike said:
I am, but I promise to decide before the deadline. sorry, its just a really hard decision for me. I hope you guys that are waiting understand!

Do you want to talk about pros and cons?

Please discuss some pros and cons. That would be good.

exmike said:

Do not worry about it exmike! I was just wondering to see if spots have opened up form those that have been already given out...but take your time. it is best you choose the right school for you. where are you debating between?

you know who!!!

Deuce 007 MD said:
Do you want to talk about pros and cons?

Deuce007: How's your first year going? Also, I sent you a PM! :idea:

blackula28 said:
Please discuss some pros and cons. That would be good.

I'm bias I go to Drew, but let me give you my reasons when I was trying to decide.

1. Helping the underserved
2. Students learn and do more at county hospitals (e.g. cook county, central, charity etc.) compared to those nicer hospitals where some patients won't even let a short coat go near them.
3. Degree is from UCLA
4. Tuition lower then any private school
5. Location I love L.A., after studying all day fri or sat I like to go out to the club, the card club, the paint ball club, the home club, the dance club and my favorate the strip club.
6. Weather, some places i interviewed at were just to cold or to humid to want to do anything but stay indoors. After studying all day that is the last thing I want to do. Only in So. CAl can you go surfing during the day and then drive 1-2 hours to do some nightime snowboarding.
7. I'm asian and I like the diversity of Los Angeles, some out of state places don't even have good dim sum for miles.
8. Most people say that one of the most important things for getting a good residency is your step 1 score, you'll be getting the same basic science education as the UCLA main program people so that shouldn't be a problem
9. When I made my decision Drew didn't have all this bad press, but if I had to do it all again I would still choose Drew/UCLA. By the time I start my rotations alot of these problems should be gone (I hope), but like alot of people have said before "step 1 pretty much determines your career" and how well you do is all about how much you put into your preclinical years and board prep time.

I have more reasons but gotta go back to studying neuro, when I take a brake again I'll post more.

Hey Deuce 007,

Do you know max? we went to school together back at ucsd. tell him ori says wassup if you do know him.

peace

"its not your institution that matches you for residency, its you (=grades, board scores, lor's, etc..)" -some residency director

i dont know how much youll buy into that. but i belive it...

Hey Duece, have you ever been to Forplay on Conter next to the 405??? That place is strait out of a rap video with how hot the women are.

A few more pro's since I havn't really been saying much about that for Drew:

Duece mentioned the basic science stuff at UCLA. It is actually pretty horrible for the second years and above, but Duece is the first year of a new curriculum. This curriculum is set up very close to my curriculum and has produced good results, but we won't know how good it will be for UCLA for another 2 years until Duece's class takes that boards. But compared to what it used to be, anything would be a ivast improvement. And duece's class will be the one who get's all of the kinks and the majority of them will be worked out for your class.

Another plus, the training at Drew would be better in a lot of ways than UCLA if you are looking to be a clinician. At UCLA the third years are more of observers, while at Drew you actually get to do the stuff.

Jalby said:
Hey Duece, have you ever been to Forplay on Conter next to the 405??? That place is strait out of a rap video with how hot the women are.

A few more pro's since I havn't really been saying much about that for Drew:

Duece mentioned the basic science stuff at UCLA. It is actually pretty horrible for the second years and above, but Duece is the first year of a new curriculum. This curriculum is set up very close to my curriculum and has produced good results, but we won't know how good it will be for UCLA for another 2 years until Duece's class takes that boards. But compared to what it used to be, anything would be a ivast improvement. And duece's class will be the one who get's all of the kinks and the majority of them will be worked out for your class.

Another plus, the training at Drew would be better in a lot of ways than UCLA if you are looking to be a clinician. At UCLA the third years are more of observers, while at Drew you actually get to do the stuff.

yay. finally jalbs youre giving drew props. that means a lot to me since i really respect you and your wisdom. thanks. :)

i imagine if you want to go into ER and internal medicine, drew can help you since you would get such a great training there and residency diretors know that. what else is drew strong in?

bizumppp. bump.

What does bump mean anyway? Have not been on here long so I am unsure...thanks

peace

novangel81 said:
What does bump mean anyway? Have not been on here long so I am unsure...thanks

peace
Basically bumping is posting to get the thread back onto the top of the forum so others can see it.

ok well i hope everyone is posting cause i really want to know what's up with the people who are going to drew or not going to drew. I gues in reality I care about those deciding not to go cause that gives me a chance to possibly get in there. See ya guys and I hope people keep posting.

Bump!!!!

bump=bring up my post

docmemi said:
bump=bring up my post

Anyone make any decisions about Drew? I really want to get in, not to deter anyone else..but if you are deciding not to attend let me know...

hope to hear from someone!!!

peace :confused:

novangel81 said:
Anyone make any decisions about Drew? I really want to get in, not to deter anyone else..but if you are deciding not to attend let me know...

hope to hear from someone!!!

peace :confused:

chances arethe mvmt will come around may 15th.