Anyone applied to both md and do schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeSco

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an interview with NYCOM december 2, and I was wondering if I will be looked down upon since I applied to both md and do schools.

Members don't see this ad.

JoeSco said:
I got an interview with NYCOM december 2, and I was wondering if I will be looked down upon since I applied to both md and do schools.

They don't know that you have done so.

If it comes up just let them know that you're looking for the school that fits you best, and you don't care if it's MD or DO.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all for both to apply MD/DO. In fact I know more people who have applied to both than just MD or DO alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think if youre able to let them know your reasons for applying, they shouldnt care...i think once you get into the professional world people arent as childish about do/md as pre-meds are...

JoeSco said:

i applied to both md and do programs. the subject never came up in any of my interviews. had my heart set on do, ended up at a md school and like it just fine. good luck at your interview!

I applied to both. It did come up at a few interviews but I got in everywhere I applied, so I guess it wasn't a problem.

I applied to both as well. In one interview it came up, and I was honest with them. I still got accepted so I don't think they care too much.

I've applied to both. In my mind, it really doesn't matter. I've always followed the osteopathic philosophy of holistic care. Even if I choose an M.D. program, I will most likely pursue primary care and treat the whole person.

JoeSco said:

No.

1. Most D.O. applicants also apply to M.D. programs
2. Each school does not know what other school you apply to, especially if there are seperate application services, unless you tell them---no need to bring it up.

I applied both, but I researched osteopathic medicine a lot before going to interview. As long as you can clearly articulate what it is that attracts you to osteopathic medicine (for me it was the OMM and emphasis on structure/function as well as the holisitic philosophy), they will not question your decision to apply both MD and DO if you are genuinely interested in the uniqueness of the DO philosophy. I was asked in all three of my DO interviews if I had applied to MD schools, and I was honest with them. I applied to MD schools with good primary care programs, and I applied to DO schools with good primary care programs and well-developed OMM programs. I was accepted at all of the schools I interviewed at this year.

Funny thing was I was not asked if I had applied to any DO schools at my MD interview, and I was not asked what I would do if I were not accepted at their school. Too bad, because I had some good answers for both of those questions :D

and it came up in every single interview i have gone on so far (5) and i've gotten into all of them, so dont worry - just be honest and tell them you want to find the best school for your learning style and interests and it'll be fine

JoeSco said:

Good luck.

jakki said:
and it came up in every single interview i have gone on so far (5) and i've gotten into all of them, so dont worry - just be honest and tell them you want to find the best school for your learning style and interests and it'll be fine

Same here, no worries. Most people apply to both I think.

I applied to both because I desire to be a "physician first."