Anyone apply after only TWO years of college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurrySpice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds a bit crazy, right?

Well, I've been considering recently applying to the UK (AVMA accredited) vet schools this summer, after I've finished my first year of college. I want to study abroad junior year regardless, and this just helps to jumpstart my career. I love their EVMS program, and UK students will be this young, so I won't feel out of place age-wise.

I have tons of equine experience, a decent amount of small animal, and probably ~250 hours of vet experience by this fall (I have around 60 now, but I'm in the midst of shadowing and I'll do more this summer). I had a 4.0 GPA first semester, and I expect to do equally as well this semester. I'm also planning on taking Organic Chemistry this summer (if that goes poorly, I'll probably scrap the plan and wait another year).

Any experience or thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have all of the course requirements finished already???

I don't know a lot about the UK application process, so I could be way off base here. I'm pretty sure, though, that if you're applying in the UK, you're not competing with HS students from within the country - you're competing against other international students for an international spot. Just something to think about if you haven't got many upper level courses since many of the other international people applying will have taken them.

Also, remember that vet school is hard. REALLY hard and really time consuming. When I studied abroad, I was able to take non-major classes that were fairly easy (they were all anthro stuff, which was my minor.) That left me plenty of time for making friends, traveling, and generally just relaxing and having fun for awhile. I'm not sure how much time you'll have for that in vet school. I'm not saying you'll have no time, just that studying abroad isn't going to be the same as going abroad for vet school necessarily.

If it were me, I'd do some more upper level coursework first just to make sure I can cut it, if anything. I had a pretty stellar GPA my first semester, too, and did great through high school. (I had one B first sem, and that only just barely.) I graduated with a 3.22. It gets a lot harder the farther you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I've been considering recently applying to the UK (AVMA accredited) vet schools this summer, after I've finished my first year of college.

Preface: You know your needs/wants/plans the best, but this is just my opinion.

There is no need to rush... you are still young. Think of all the college/life experience you would miss out on by going straight to vet school.

Enjoy these last few years of college (and/or by studying abroad for a bit) by being a late teen/early 20 something before becoming a professional for the rest of your life!

after I've finished my first year of college

I don't think it is possible to finish all the required prereqs in one year....is it? Several of the required courses are upper level and have their own "pre reqs" at the college.

If you have all the prereqs done, then why not. Just make sure you're ready for it, but you sound pretty dedicated!

I've heard of people applying that early before. They were glad they did it just for the experience of applying (they ended up getting in the following year). Its possible but don't do it lightly.

I know two people who applied and got into Kansas State after completing only two years of undergrad...requires taking a pretty full courseload those two years (and getting amazing grades) and getting some really good experience the summer between, but it is possible.

I know two people who applied and got into Kansas State after completing only two years of undergrad...requires taking a pretty full courseload those two years (and getting amazing grades) and getting some really good experience the summer between, but it is possible.

I recalled speaking with a vet student during an interview trip that had done it...might have been KState. This individual was still 19. Had take college level course while a Sr. in high school, done two sessions of summer school and a pretty heavy course load in 4 semesters.

Seems it would be much more likely as an IS vs an OOS.

PP

One is OOS and one is IS/contract. Yeah, I think both came in with a few credits from high school (humanities, composition) and took at least some of the courses during the summer between (example-Ochem 1&2). Both are also guys. Both are also insanely smart.

i don't think it's weird at all. i was going to apply to some of the US schools after my second year, but decided to just do it this year (3rd) instead. if you've got the pre-reqs, why not? besides, if you don't get in you can just do another year or finish up and you won't have spent any extra time

I am technically doing the same thing- I did full time joint enrollment as a senior in high school and got my freshmen credits done, Have now been in college for 2 years now (not including that first year), and have applied for this fall. I dont see anything wrong with it if thats what you got your mind set on. And as someone else said, theres no harm in it if you dont get in- you get the practice, and you dont waste time, you know what to improve for the next year, and you can finish out college on time and apply a second time as a senior (credit wise) and have a better chance, then be applying as a senior for your first time...

While I do encourage you to apply abroad, applying after your second year might be a bit too early. You'll be putting a lot of pressure on youreslf to complete all of the prer-reqs and miss out on a lot of fun times. Here is a link to the Dick Vet pre-reqs; they can be completed in two years, but those would be the worse two years ever...
Not to mention, you wouldn't have time to take a lot of the classes that I think are essential for excelling at the vet schools here such as public speaking, technical/medical/scientific writing, seminars, animal husbandry and nutrition, physiology, etc.
Most of the "high schoolers" here are from the UK, so they have a college level knowledge in subjects like bio and chem. And I haven't yet met a North American student that did not get a degree before coming over (there might be one out there that is too shy to come and play with us big kids though ;))

And as someone else said, theres no harm in it if you dont get in

Except the cost! I spent something around $800 to apply this year to a handful of schools. (This is including VMCAS fees, supplemental fees, GRE score charges, and transcript fees.) I know that's money I would've had trouble getting together by myself my freshmen year, what with paying for my own books and etc, too.

If you apply to fewer schools, it'll cost less, of course. If you can afford it or your parents are paying, that's great. Just look up the cost and be prepared so you don't get an unpleasant surprise when you go to submit everything. ;)

Except the cost! I spent something around $800 to apply this year to a handful of schools. (This is including VMCAS fees, supplemental fees, GRE score charges, and transcript fees.) I know that's money I would've had trouble getting together by myself my freshmen year, what with paying for my own books and etc, too.

If you apply to fewer schools, it'll cost less, of course. If you can afford it or your parents are paying, that's great. Just look up the cost and be prepared so you don't get an unpleasant surprise when you go to submit everything. ;)

I very much have to agree on this point. I didn't find this website until just before I submitted my already finished VMCAS application to 5 schools, and I had no idea what sort of financial trouble I was going to land myself in by doing so, as a result. It cost me over $2,000 to apply, prepare (from taking the GRE to buying a suit), and interview (at only ONE school). Had I been invited to interview anywhere else, I would have had to turn down the offer due to not being able to afford travel! This is a big investment in your life, both in terms of career and finances, and you will lose out on money in a big way if you don't get accepted. Be prepared for that.

That being said, I would not personally apply if I was in your shoes. I think everyone needs to take the time to just be young and wild and carefree for a while. Once you're committed to vet school, you're probably not going to have the chance to enjoy life like you could right now and for the next three years, and I would be afraid of getting burnt out. There's no need to rush into a lifelong commitment of any sort.

That being said, I would not personally apply if I was in your shoes. I think everyone needs to take the time to just be young and wild and carefree for a while. Once you're committed to vet school, you're probably not going to have the chance to enjoy life like you could right now and for the next three years, and I would be afraid of getting burnt out. There's no need to rush into a lifelong commitment of any sort.

Agreed...plus you miss out on a lot really cool classes that will help when you're in vet school, like histology, endocrinology, reproduction/therio, anatomy, business classes, language classes (Greek, Latin, or romance languages are particularly helpful for anatomy/terminology and Spanish is very marketable), and so on. You're only young once, take your time to find yourself. :luck: