Program-Specific Info / Q's Anyone apply to MUSC early decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ems07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to MUSC early decision? When do you expect we will hear back?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello'
Has anyone applied to MUSC early decision? When do you expect we will hear back?
I did!! I believe we hear back anytime after November 19th!

I am so nervous! I had AWFUL gre scores but a high GPA. What were your stats like?!

Hello'

I did!! I believe we hear back anytime after November 19th!

I am so nervous! I had AWFUL gre scores but a high GPA. What were your stats like?!

My scores are pretty bad too and Im very nervous because my Anatomy and physiology are still in progress :(!

Pennsylvania State University- Main Campus
Major- Rehabilitation and Human Services
Minor- Psychology and Deafness & Hearing in Society
GPA- 3.63
Last 60 Credit GPA- 3.92
Prereq GPA- still completing 2 prereqs (anatomy and physiology :/)
GRE- verbal- 153 quantitative- 148 writing-4.0
Application verified- October 3, 2014
OT shadowing- Nursing home- 50, Acute Rehab- 12
Work experience- 520 hours Community Help Center Intern, 300 hours Penn State Group Fitness Instructor
Volunteer experience- 310 hours Crisis Hotline Counselor, 30 hours mentor to students with special needs, 220 hours PSU IFC/Panhellenic Dance Marathon
Extras- Delta Gamma VP of Panhellenic 2012-2013, Research Assistant 2 years
References- OT I shadowed, professor, and Advisor
Applied to- Boston, Midwestern, Pitt, University of Illinois-Chicago, Winston-Salem, Salus, Musc
Accepted-
Interviews-
Salus (Hear back this week!)
Rejected-

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I applied to MUSC early decision last year and got accepted on nov 20th. I'm now a student there. Let me know if you have any questions!

rcludo,

awesome! thanks for giving us a little bit of a timeline. Would you mind posting your stats? Now that you are in school, what is your opinion on MOT vs OTD? Do you have to pay out of state tuition there the whole time or just the first year? Its a pricey school for just a masters

How do you like it?! I want to get in for early decision so badly my fingers are crossed!! It is so stressful trying to compare yourself to others. Can I ask you your stats please?!

Last edited:
Ok, here were my stats at application time:

Major:
Psychology and French Studies
Overall GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-3.9ish
GRE: 168 V, 158 Q, 4.5 AW
Observation: 122 hours; the majority were at a children's development clinic and a sports care center (with a CHT); others are schools, sensory clinic, inpatient rehab, neurodevelopment center, hippotherapy
Other experience: 3 years in a psych research lab in college, 2 years afterwards working as a research assistant in a lab that studies autism, 1 semester tutoring English to kids during a semester abroad in France... a few various volunteer things but nothing big
Applied: U Pitt, Thomas Jefferson, Medical University of South Carolina, Virginia Commonwealth University
Acceptances: MUSC (11/20), Pitt (12/11), VCU (2/4)
Rejections: N/A
Interviews: N/A
Waitlist: Thomas Jefferson (2/14), declined spot on list
Attending: MUSC!

Lotte17 - I am still glad I'm doing a masters instead of OTD. I know AOTA is planning to start moving all programs to OTD in/by 2025, but we will be grandfathered in and IMO won't be any worse off for not having one. Too much time and money, right now. I am paying out of state tuition for both years. It is expensive but I think it was actually the cheapest of my options.

FutureOT2015 - I would say you definitely have a chance. From talking to my classmates it's pretty hard to tell what they look for or if some of it is just arbitrary. I'm confused, is 180 your total of verbal and quantitative? If so, you have good grades and experience to make up for it.

Hopefully you will both find out in a couple weeks or so!

Thank you!! Sorry! Yes, that was my combined score because I couldn't remember the exact numbers without looking them up! You made me feel a little bit better but I am still so nervous that they may not accept me because of it. If I get in I will definitely be asking you more questions but as of right now I don't want to get my hopes up! I have one last question though. I am taking my last pre-req still because I needed a sequence course for Anatomy. My other class was A&P 1&2 combined but it won't count.... Do I need a B or better or can it be a C? I was just wondering worst case scenario. I think I saw a C online for PT but I wasn't sure about OT. I had an A in both of my other Anatomy classes but I wasn't sure if they would still accept a C.

Thank you!! Sorry! Yes, that was my combined score because I couldn't remember the exact numbers without looking them up! You made me feel a little bit better but I am still so nervous that they may not accept me because of it. If I get in I will definitely be asking you more questions but as of right now I don't want to get my hopes up! I have one last question though. I am taking my last pre-req still because I needed a sequence course for Anatomy. My other class was A&P 1&2 combined but it won't count.... Do I need a B or better or can it be a C? I was just wondering worst case scenario. I think I saw a C online for PT but I wasn't sure about OT. I had an A in both of my other Anatomy classes but I wasn't sure if they would still accept a C.
Hmm... now that I'm in the program, most of the specific info I obsessed over while applying is out of my head. I can't remember if they take C prereqs. But I remember emailing Stacey Stallon with prereq questions during the process ([email protected]) and she was really helpful!

Hmm... now that I'm in the program, most of the specific info I obsessed over while applying is out of my head. I can't remember if they take C prereqs. But I remember emailing Stacey Stallon with prereq questions during the process ([email protected]) and she was really helpful!
Hahaha totally understandable!! It isn't a big deal. Thank you :) but you like your classes and where you live and everything?

Hahaha totally understandable!! It isn't a big deal. Thank you :) but you like your classes and where you live and everything?
Yes! The main class summer semester is Anatomy, and it's really intense. Fall we have more classes but they are much more OT-specific so it really makes us feel like OTs in training. It's a lot of work but enjoyable and my class definitely goes out and has fun together pretty often. I got lucky and found a good deal apartment in town which is great but I know people who live in Mount Pleasant, West Ashley and James Island (all surrounding towns) too and those are still pretty convenient (and maybe cheaper).

Hey guys! I applied to MUSC early decision last year and got accepted on nov 20th. I'm now a student there. Let me know if you have any questions!
Thanks for your help! What does your typical schedule look like? Are you in class 9-5 everyday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help! What does your typical schedule look like? Are you in class 9-5 everyday?
Nope! I start class between 8 and 10 most days and am usually out by 3. Some people in other lab groups stay til 5 but start later. 3 of our classes this fall ended mid-semester, so there were more hours earlier in the semester. The most hours I've had in one day of class that I can think of is 6.5 but it's almost always less.
To be super specific, now that I'm thinking about it - I currently have 3.5 on mondays, 6 on tuesdays, 3.5 on wednesdays, 4.5 on thursdays, and 2 on fridays (again, now that some classes have ended).

I have also applied for early admission to the OT program at MUSC. I read on the online website where we check our application progress that we should hear something back around late November. It could either be acceptance, denial, or moved onto regular admission.

Hi! Do you think I have a chance? I am so nervous :( because of my awful GRE scores

Kean University
Major- Psychology
GPA-
3.96, 3.7 something cum. GPA from all undergraduate schools
Last 60 Credit GPA- 3.96
Prereq GPA- All A's, 1 B+, Taking my last A&P 2 course
GRE- verbal & quantitative- 180 something, writing 3.0 ( I was really sick when I took my GRE's but they don't know that)
OT shadowing- 23 hours at an Elem school, 108 hours at a clinic with CHT, geriatrics 27 hours
Work experience-
Michaels arts and crafts- 5 years, Goddard School lead teacher- 1 year, Special Education Paraprofessional, Disney College Program- worked at WDW
Extras- Phi Kappa Phi Honor society, Lambda Alpha Sigma Honor Society, Graduated with Summa Cum Laude
Hey FutureOT2015....

I have a question for you. You said that your COMBINED GRE score is 180. What exactly do you mean by "combined"? I have heard people say this before but have no idea what it actually means. I also can't seem to find any information on it either. I received separate numbers for each section of the GRE. Did you just add all of your scores together into 1?

Hey FutureOT2015....

I have a question for you. You said that your COMBINED GRE score is 180. What exactly do you mean by "combined"? I have heard people say this before but have no idea what it actually means. I also can't seem to find any information on it either. I received separate numbers for each section of the GRE. Did you just add all of your scores together into 1?
Yea that is correct! I didn't feel like looking up the exact numbers for each section.

I also applied for early admission... can't wait to find out!

Keeping myself busy with other applications while I wait... :)

rcludo,
do you live alone? I am trying to decide if I want to live alone or with a roommate. I've heard that it is nice to have the privacy/space after such long days however, I've also heard it is nice to have a roommate in the program so it is a support system since ya'll are going through the same thing. what do you think? Do you all hang out or go out a lot together in your cohort?

rcludo,
do you live alone? I am trying to decide if I want to live alone or with a roommate. I've heard that it is nice to have the privacy/space after such long days however, I've also heard it is nice to have a roommate in the program so it is a support system since ya'll are going through the same thing. what do you think? Do you all hang out or go out a lot together in your cohort?
I wondered the same but idk how it would afford living alone.

I hope we find out tomorrow. I will definitely be looking for a room mate if I am accepted.

If anyone has any questions about Charleston specifically, I would be happy to answer. I've lived here the past 3 years while doing undergrad.

rcludo,

I live with my fiancé who is in the program with me. Tons, maybe most of the people in the program have roommates in the program, or at other programs at MUSC. I would definitely recommend that! It really helps to have people to study with the clarify things with and motivate each other. The cohort definitely hangs out a lot, there are always groups that go out or to the beach on weekends or to happy hours during the week and it's pretty inclusive.

I live with my fiancé who is in the program with me. Tons, maybe most of the people in the program have roommates in the program, or at other programs at MUSC. I would definitely recommend that! It really helps to have people to study with the clarify things with and motivate each other. The cohort definitely hangs out a lot, there are always groups that go out or to the beach on weekends or to happy hours during the week and it's pretty inclusive.

How are the facilities there? I've seen murphy deming OTD and Belmont OTD and they are immaculate. Are there pictures online or someone I can see them? Do you have cadavers and actually do dissections or just observe prosected ones done by medical students? Is the OT program all in one building? Lastly, how is the library and study areas, is there seperate undergrad and grad libraries or group study rooms in the OT building?

yes sorry I know that's a lot of rambling questions! thank you for being so informative!

Me either. Hopefully tomorrow is the day.

If anyone calls and asks when they are being mailed let us know!!

Maybe so. I read on the website that acceptances are offered in early December. However, I also read that it was late November online. So that could really be anywhere from 11/20/14- 12/10/14, in my opinion. Hopefully we will know sooner rather than later.

Hey guys! I made an account specifically to comment on how much the suspense is KILLING me. Has anyone else been freaking out whenever they see they have an email?!

bhansen2, have you enjoyed living in Charleston? Do you live downtown or in one of the surrounding areas?

Hey guys! I made an account specifically to comment on how much the suspense is KILLING me. Has anyone else been freaking out whenever they see they have an email?!

bhansen2, have you enjoyed living in Charleston? Do you live downtown or in one of the surrounding areas?

Hey kwsmiley,
I know what you mean... I've been checking my email about 10 times an hour, haha. I can say that I have enjoyed my time in Charleston. However, my experience here has been much different than many. I'm a student at The Citadel and it's a requirement to live on campus. I'm about a mile from College of Charleston and about a mile from MUSC. Lots of cool places to visit and see.

Hey kwsmiley,
I know what you mean... I've been checking my email about 10 times an hour, haha. I can say that I have enjoyed my time in Charleston. However, my experience here has been much different than many. I'm a student at The Citadel and it's a requirement to live on campus. I'm about a mile from College of Charleston and about a mile from MUSC. Lots of cool places to visit and see.
Would you say MUSC is in a safe area?

Would you say MUSC is in a safe area?

I would definetly say that MUSC campus/hospital is a safe area. The area has a pretty high flow of pedestrian traffic throughout the day and seems well lit during the evening. I pass through all the time and have never felt unsafe. However, some of the surrounding areas are a little rough. And when I say some, I mean a very small portion. (Government/low income housing). Not too bad during the day but wouldn't advise walking through there at night.

Last edited:
I would definetly say that MUSC campus/hospital is a safe area. The area has a pretty high flow of pedestrian traffic throughout the day and seems well lit during the evening. I pass through all the time and have never felt unsafe. However, some of the surrounding areas are a little rough. And when I say some, I mean a very small portion. (Government/low income housing). Not too bad during the day but wouldn't advise walking through there at night.
Okay thank you! I was curious about the surrounding areas. I def would want to live in downtown charleston by MUSC if I could and get accepted. Would I have to walk through any of those surrounding areas?

Okay thank you! I was curious about the surrounding areas. I def would want to live in downtown charleston by MUSC if I could and get accepted. Would I have to walk through any of those surrounding areas?
I don't think so but it really depends where you live. There are a few neighborhoods that are really nice and then you walk a few blocks down the road and it gets rough. If that makes sense. Haha

Hey kwsmiley,

I've been checking my email about every 10 minutes too! It's really been detracting from my productivity haha. The Citadel looks like a cool place to have done your undergrad. It seems like there are a lot of interesting things to see thanks to Charleston's rich history. Here's hoping that we hear back today and get a definitive answer!

Wow I really thought we would have heard by now!

Same!! I wonder if they started looking and comparing us to other students from reg admission? I want to call so bad and ask when we would find out.

Waiting games are the worst. But look at it this way... Each day that passes, we become one day closer to finding out! haha

Reactions: 1 users
Hey yall. I also made an account specifically to post on this thread! I, too, was frustrated with waiting so I emailed MUSC and the person I contacted said the decisions have not been sent out yet, but they would be sometime this week. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Same!! I wonder if they started looking and comparing us to other students from reg admission? I want to call so bad and ask when we would find out.

Surely they wouldn't do that, right? I mean, early admission is supposed to be a distinctly separate category than regular admission unless your application gets rolled over. Maybe they're just struggling with the early decisions. Dr. Bowman (the director of admissions) told me that the applicants for early admission are generally more highly qualified to get into the program because they're the ones who are pretty on top of things, so applying early is actually way more competitive than applying at the regular time. I feel like everyone on this forum is pretty highly qualified too, just the fact that we're on here shows how much we all want to get in!

Very true!! Say 40 students from ED are the right fit for the program... Do you think for reg decision they would only choose about 10-12 students?

Very true!! Say 40 students from ED are the right fit for the program... Do you think for reg decision they would only choose about 10-12 students?

That's a great question! I have no idea how they choose how many people get in from early and how many from regular. I definitely should've asked that when I met with him haha. I would think they wouldn't turn away really great applicants from early just to roll them over to regular... But I guess they also wouldn't fill almost all of their spots with ED people too as that wouldn't really be fair to the RD people. I wish they would just send out the decisions so we can all stop stressing over it! It's consuming just about all of my thoughts right now haha