Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anyone applying/applied please help

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by longhorn, Aug 6, 2002.

1. longhorn

longhorn Banned
    Banned

YO guys/gals,

I seem to be on pace with all you early birds in terms of applications. I have received all the standard secondaries from schools giving them out, (Duke, UMuch, UChicago, Northwestern). Problem is AMCAS hauled a$$ on my app and I want to interview in the middle of everyone, not at the beginning. I was planning on interviewing around late OCT.(Stupid reason: I am doing some kool stuff next year which I would like to have done by interviews). From the looks of it I will be earlier than that if I keep this pace up. Anyone know when I should submit my secondaries to get an interview in late OCT/Early NOV. I know its not an exact science, but I am looking for an educated guess. Thanks!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lola

lola Bovine Member

i think it would be kind of silly to wait to turn in your secondaries. the earlier you interview, the more likely you are to be accepted. i know that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but it would be a shame to turn your app in when 1/2 the class is already filled and have it looked over b/c they already have people like you in their class and don't need anymore.

i'm applying this year, so i don't know much about interview dates. however, even if you turn them in now i doubt you will be getting too many interviews before october/november.

4. DukeBluDevl02

DukeBluDevl02 Senior Member

You might want to check if those schools have rolling admissions. I know for a fact Duke does NOT.

That's just my advice.

Good luck!

GO DUKE!

5. omores

omores sleep deprived

Resident [Any Field]
    The turnaround time between submitting a secondary and getting an interview invitation is thoroughly unpredictable. Could be a matter of weeks, could be a matter of months -- it depends on each school's reviewing system.

Equally unpredicable is the length of time between when you get the invitation in the mail and when your interview takes place: some schools give you lots of lead time, others almost none. For me the interval ranged from eleven days to seven weeks.

Your best bet is to submit all your secondaries as soon as you can. Then IF you get an early invitation, and IF it schedules you for an interview with very little lead time, you can try asking for a later date. But you might just find that the process takes longer than you think. Don't try to second-guess it by delaying your secondaries.

6. Bikini Princess

an admissions officer might suggest that it is somewhat presumptuous to assume that you will be receiving interviews from any given school, regardless of the date it is offered.

moreover, you may find that many schools may not perform interview sessions as early as september.

maybe your concerns are comparable to a man worrying about lottery money, when he hasn't even bought a lottery ticket yet. :)

7. jot

jot

whaddya saying? he's got 1 in bazillion odds? kidding bikini - longhorn has got his stuff together though. but i would echo what other posters have said - a friend of mine did exactly what you are suggesting last year (and was also a strong candidate) and waited till early-october to send them in - and got caught inthe wave of august mcat'ers. didn't kill him in the least, but things didn't work out as planned. was i making a point (doh - left mid reply)? i don't even remember what this thread was about ... better quit now.

8. longhorn

longhorn Banned
    Banned

Good point. Just add some IFs in the proper places to my original post and then answer the question. However, I think its important to remain optimistic in this process. I think anyone who has an MCAT/GPA combo above average for a particular school and some interesting life experiences shouldn't have to worry so much about gettin the interview. Just my opinion though.

9. dude turn everything ASAP, and then when you DO GET AN INTERVIEW...

you can change the date to whatever you want!!!

that is extremely silly of you to keep your secondaries, so that you get interviews in the "proper time"...

as time passes on, they get overwhelmed with more secondaries so turn it asap....