Anyone applying Early Decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

violetrose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With that gpa and a strong mcat 33-34+ I think ED is a safe bet for you

I obviously gave the state away with the research and apparenly you can't delete threads or at least I don't know how since this is only my third post...haha oops. Thanks though!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am considering applying ED to my state school next year...does anybody have experience with this? I am trying weight out pros vs cons.

PROS:
-Save $ applying to one school vs 15 to 20
-Don't need to stress about 15 to 20 secondaries (If I were to be so lucky!)
-Will find out decision by Oct. 1 (this school is known for being notoriously late with acceptances regular decision)
-I know I would pick my state school over anything else for a variety of reasons. *Location is convenient for me; do not have to move or at least not far away. I would like to stay close to my family since I have seen how moving even just across the state from my grandparents has negatively affected my mother. Also, I am in a long term relationship with someone who just got a job at a city hall and is being paid by the attorney general.
*The other schools that I have a shot at getting in within commuting distance do not stand out to me more than my state school. Why pay the extra money and deal w/ public transit? (They are city campuses). Plus, my state school has a good rep and is up and coming in research.
*Tuition is way more affordable
*State residency for me is easy to prove with the high school and college I attend(ed), this med school is very very strict about the state residency requirement to the point where it is a little ridiculous.

But the CON is obvious...
-If I do not get in...I have to wait another year and need to find something productive to do. Perhaps take MCAT again.. I am already in a 5year program so I'd rather not wait another year if possible. More so because how do I tell a job I'm applying for my senior year...yeah I'm going to need all this time off for interviews and am quitting by next August...I certainly wouldn't hire me if that was the case.

It's only one con, but a huge one. Is anyone else considering this route though believing that many pros outweigh this one con?

A little about me...3.93 gpa overall, 3.98 bcpm, worked 1year and currently at school w disabled children, researching at MIT since May, hospital volunteering since Aug and will continue througout the year, volunteered for Jumpstart thru AmeriCorps all thru freshman year, supervisor at retail store for 2 years (promoted from associate which I started in 09). Joining premed club this year, I live an hour away from campus so ECs as far as clubs aren't too much, tried RSA for a year and it sucked lol. Don't have shadowing experience :/ Need to start studying for MCAT to sit next May or June. All prereqs done except Orgo II (aced 1 woop) and would like to also take biochem in spring. Bio major.

So yeah...sorry for the novel! I know its tough without MCAT score but lets assume I get at least a 30 ;) I hope...!
I applied EDP expecting to have to reapply this cycle since my ECs were deficient, but I got in luckily. Only apply EDP to a school if you have some reason they would really want you, or you are comfortable with reapplying. :luck:

Last edited:
Congrats! :) Reapplying is obviouisly not my goal, but at this point in time it might be worth it due to all the pros I see, plus the only place I'd actually be a reapplicant is my state school. Also, I worked the retail job while working full time at the children's school for six months...I worked up to 70 hours a week it was absolutely nuts and I couldn't have done clubs even if I wanted to! Still worked 20-30 hours during classes...again for something I would be using purely as a resume builder doesn't seem like its worth spending late nights on campus that I don't have available anyway. Hopefully adcoms agree though... I have so many good things to say about the things I do participate in so that's a plus (Retail is also more related than you'd think...identifying client needs, problem solving with client issues on your feet, meeting doctors with great advice cause the store is high end and they can afford it lol)

^Plus I need the $, private school tuition isn't paying itself and neither is mommy or daddy :eek:

most people just get loans, you really don't need all that much money saved up to go. Getting in is really the big point

So I am considering applying ED to my state school next year...does anybody have experience with this? I am trying weight out pros vs cons.

PROS:
-Save $ applying to one school vs 15 to 20
-Don't need to stress about 15 to 20 secondaries (If I were to be so lucky!)
-Will find out decision by Oct. 1 (this school is known for being notoriously late with acceptances regular decision)
-I know I would pick my state school over anything else for a variety of reasons. *Location is convenient for me; do not have to move or at least not far away. I would like to stay close to my family since I have seen how moving even just across the state from my grandparents has negatively affected my mother. Also, I am in a long term relationship with someone who just got a job at a city hall and is being paid by the attorney general.
*The other schools that I have a shot at getting in within commuting distance do not stand out to me more than my state school. Why pay the extra money and deal w/ public transit? (They are city campuses). Plus, my state school has a good rep and is up and coming in research.
*Tuition is way more affordable
*State residency for me is easy to prove with the high school and college I attend(ed), this med school is very very strict about the state residency requirement to the point where it is a little ridiculous.

But the CON is obvious...
-If I do not get in...I have to wait another year and need to find something productive to do. Perhaps take MCAT again.. I am already in a 5year program so I'd rather not wait another year if possible. More so because how do I tell a job I'm applying for my senior year...yeah I'm going to need all this time off for interviews and am quitting by next August...I certainly wouldn't hire me if that was the case.

It's only one con, but a huge one. Is anyone else considering this route though believing that many pros outweigh this one con?

A little about me...3.93 gpa overall, 3.98 bcpm, worked 1year and currently at school w disabled children, researching at MIT since May, hospital volunteering since Aug and will continue througout the year, volunteered for Jumpstart thru AmeriCorps all thru freshman year, supervisor at retail store for 2 years (promoted from associate which I started in 09). Joining premed club this year, I live an hour away from campus so ECs as far as clubs aren't too much, tried RSA for a year and it sucked lol. Don't have shadowing experience :/ Need to start studying for MCAT to sit next May or June. All prereqs done except Orgo II (aced 1 woop) and would like to also take biochem in spring. Bio major.

So yeah...sorry for the novel! I know its tough without MCAT score but lets assume I get at least a 30 ;) I hope...!

This is the only pro that can ever be strong enough to justify EDP. The thing is that IMO applying EDP is actually HARDER to succeed at than applying normally to that school simply due to the paltry number of students they accept via this action. It is only worthwhile if you have some SERIOUSLY strong need to stay in that area.

most people just get loans, you really don't need all that much money saved up to go. Getting in is really the big point

I meant I need to be making $ for undergrad...I took out private loans the first year to live on campus but now I live at home and pay off the balance myself aside from the federal loans. Med school I obviously need loans unless I win the lottery this year...! The low tuition is a plus but not the only factor, I could never be unhappy somewhere just because of finances. Although I don't want to be financially irresponsible especially w undergrad