Anyone applying for the 2nd time? discuss your experience and what you have done to improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B.No

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to make a thread for those who are applying for the second time to share with us what they have done to strengthen their application for candidacy into PT school.

I can start it off. I applied last year and was rejected from the schools I applied into. My stats during that time were a s-GPA: 3.48 and c-GPA 3.53, GRE: V: 150, Quan: 149, Essay or Qual: 5. My experience in the field was 2175 hours working as a licensed PTA.

Most of the schools rejected me for my low GPA, since their avg gpa of acceptance was 3.7 or better. I contacted all the schools and asked what needed to be done, and they gave me specific classes to retake. So, since then I have been receiving higher marks in the retaken classes for A's. I am finished with bumping up my s-GPA, I now am completing classes to bump up my overall GPA.

I also reached out to some people on SDN who stated that they applied a second time and got accepted. They gave me advice and words of encouragement.

Just remember, when you get rejected, it doesn't mean to stop trying. It just means that you have to ask yourself, how much harder are you willing to push yourself to achieve this goal. The roller coaster of emotions will test you during this time, but you have to remember "why" you are doing this!

Good Luck to the "2nd-time-a-rounders," and stay focused!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied last year with a cum GPA of 3.1 and a pre req GPA of 3.3, GRE 152V 153Q 4.5AW. I only applied to 3 in state schools because I was unable to move out of state for personal reasons. I did not spend nearly enough time working on my applications and polishing my essays. I met with a couple directors of the programs I applied to and they all said my essays were weak and my GPA isn't too competitive. Dr. Hastings at UPS straight up said my essay was boring! Definitely an eye opener :) At the end of our meeting she assured me, "You are not a lost cause."

This time around I've bumped my pre-req GPA up to a 3.55-3.64 and my cum GPA to a 3.29 by retaking classes. I haven't gotten below an A- since Winter 2013. I got a job in corporate fitness working with factory workers as an Exercise Physiologist. Also added about 180 hours working/volunteering at PT clinics. I am being much more selective on where I am applying so I have a better chance of getting in. I can now leave the state so that helps! Still worried about getting in but I have worked extremely hard on my essays to make up for my less than competitive GPA. I've sent my application to two schools and I am about to click the submit button for about 5 schools in the next day or two, so I am getting anxious!! Good luck to all you second timers!

Last edited:
B. No, How many schools did you apply to? Your stats look pretty good to me. I am surprised you did not get in anywhere? or were you shooting for some of the most difficult schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I applied last year with decent stats but many of my pre-req courses were not completed (around 4 or 5). Also I applied to pretty competitive schools most of which required 3.6 to 3.7 cGPA. I had a cumulative GPA of 3.48 last year. I talked to the director of admissions, and he said I needed to take my physics course over again and that's what I did, and I earned an A. I was really close last year, I was number 3 on the waitlist. :(

This year I casted a wider net with more schools that are around my overall and pre-req GPA, I applied much earlier, and I worked much harder on my essays. Also by taking the physics course over, my GPA increased but only to schools that take the higher grade which the school I talked to does. Hopefully this year will be my year.

Last edited:
I am a re applicant this year. I had one school tell me my references were good, overall application was strong, overall GPA good just my pre req GPA wasn't. So this year I retook a science class I had a C in, went to a hospital and got in patient hours and applied super early! I actually have an interview for University of Maryland eastern shore next week. Better than three rejection letters

Though I will say be careful about re taking too many classes. I had a school this year send me an email saying after looking at my application they were concerned about my multiple withdrawals and repeated classes. I have to write an essay about by I had to W/repeat classes and after I send in that and my grades from this semester they will review my application again.

Though I will say be careful about re taking too many classes. I had a school this year send me an email saying after looking at my application they were concerned about my multiple withdrawals and repeated classes. I have to write an essay about by I had to W/repeat classes and after I send in that and my grades from this semester they will review my application again.
Did you repeat these courses because you failed them or because you earned C's?

This is also my 2nd year for applications. According to one school admission adviser, he/she said that everything on my applications look good except for my overall cumulative GPA. Since it was slightly below the 3.0 requirement (even though my pre-req GPA/last 60 units was 3.7), it made me less competitive. With that in mind, I am currently retaking 2 humanities classes to make up for the C's I received in my undergrad. Also, I've done more volunteer hours at the same hospital just in a different setting (did spinal cord injury before, and did some hours with stroke and TBI patients). Finally, I'm applying earlier than I did last year and casting a wider net. So hopefully, at least one school will take me. One of my targets schools told me to contact them as soon as I submit my application, because they believe that they can get me an interview this year since I am a re-applicant and wasn't able to grab an interview last year. Gawd, the stress is starting come about again. Anyways, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
B. No, How many schools did you apply to? Your stats look pretty good to me. I am surprised you did not get in anywhere? or were you shooting for some of the most difficult schools?

Last year, I burned a whole in my wallet! I tried to cast a wide net. I applied to top tier PT schools to non-or-low rated school. I am assuming that the reason why I was not considered was because I was not one of the first that applied in July when the cycle opened. But there were some schools that told me that they wanted to see me improve my science/pre-req courses from B's to A's.

I applied last year with a cum GPA of 3.1 and a pre req GPA of 3.3, GRE 152V 153Q 4.5AW. I only applied to 3 in state schools because I was unable to move out of state for personal reasons. I did not spend nearly enough time working on my applications and polishing my essays. I met with a couple directors of the programs I applied to and they all said my essays were weak and my GPA isn't too competitive. Dr. Hastings at UPS straight up said my essay was boring! Definitely an eye opener :) At the end of our meeting she assured me, "You are not a lost cause."

This time around I've bumped my pre-req GPA up to a 3.55-3.64 and my cum GPA to a 3.29 by retaking classes. I haven't gotten below an A- since Winter 2013. I got a job in corporate fitness working with factory workers as an Exercise Physiologist. Also added about 180 hours working/volunteering at PT clinics. I am being much more selective on where I am applying so I have a better chance of getting in. I can now leave the state so that helps! Still worried about getting in but I have worked extremely hard on my essays to make up for my less than competitive GPA. I've sent my application to two schools and I am about to click the submit button for about 5 schools in the next day or two, so I am getting anxious!! Good luck to all you second timers!

I wouldn't be surprised that Dr. Hastings would say something like that, since that institution forces their students to create literary works. I know, since I am an alum from there. I was expecting to be accepted into UPS last year, but unfortunately I did not meet the criteria of their accepted pool of applicants. So much for their website stating they give consideration to alumni. Also, what discouraged me with them was when I called and emailed to ask what I can do to strengthen my app, they blatantly said "for any questions please refer to our website to see if you meet the criteria."

Good luck! we'll get our verdicts soon!!!!

Hi!

SO it's been an extremely long road of me applying. I'll say this is my 3rd time. First time I applied only to two schools, one rejected me and then I withdrew my application from the other to better my grades etc for last years cycle. Last year I applied to 5 schools got rejected from 4 (one had me on an interview wait list) . I applied to schools that did not require the GRE last year. I was interviewed at a school then was wait-listed due to applying so late in the cycle.

Now this year I am reapplying this time to 10 schools, all with no GRE, or no GRE minimum requirement, AND who take the highest of two repeated grades. I will be retaking my GRE this month so hopefully it helps, but standardize testing is not easy at all for me.

My stats:
GPA: 3.5
Pre-req: 3.3 (PTCAS) and for schools who take the highest of two repeated grades I am at about a 3.7 GPA ( I repeated two courses)
Observation Hours: 400+ some from my rehab aide position, pediatrics, inpatient
Future Hours: Will be at an acute care childrens hospital
Research: I've done research at the University of Chicago ( with a pediatric professor that teachers there ) for a summer. I have also done research with a PT professor at my institution on the availability of physical therapy in low-income minority neighborhoods in Chicago. In addition I have composed two literature reviews for various classes in regards to PT (independent study course, and honors course)

GRE: I will be retaking!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

SO it's been an extremely long road of me applying. I'll say this is my 3rd time. First time I applied only to two schools, one rejected me and then I withdrew my application from the other to better my grades etc for last years cycle. Last year I applied to 5 schools got rejected from 4 (one had me on an interview wait list) . I applied to schools that did not require the GRE last year. I was interviewed at a school then was wait-listed due to applying so late in the cycle.

Now this year I am reapplying this time to 10 schools, all with no GRE, or no GRE minimum requirement, AND who take the highest of two repeated grades. I will be retaking my GRE this month so hopefully it helps, but standardize testing is not easy at all for me.

My stats:
GPA: 3.5
Pre-req: 3.3 (PTCAS) and for schools who take the highest of two repeated grades I am at about a 3.7 GPA ( I repeated two courses)
Observation Hours: 400+ some from my rehab aide position, pediatrics, inpatient
Future Hours: Will be at an acute care childrens hospital
Research: I've done research at the University of Chicago ( with a pediatric professor that teachers there ) for a summer. I have also done research with a PT professor at my institution on the availability of physical therapy in low-income minority neighborhoods in Chicago. In addition I have composed two literature reviews for various classes in regards to PT (independent study course, and honors course)

GRE: I will be retaking!

Your perseverance is admirable. I wish you luck in getting accepted!

Last edited:
Thank you SO much I hope this is my year if not....I will continue to try.

Good luck! Third time's the charm :) Which schools are you applying to this round?

Good luck! Third time's the charm :) Which schools are you applying to this round?
Thank you! I hope so! And good luck to you!

Schools: NIU, LLU, UTEP, USA, Nova, UIW, governors state univ, western university h.s., andrews university, usf, rosalind Franklin, Midwestern DG and Glendale. Maybe Samuel Merritt

Hbu??

What are ways/classes you took to help raise your cumulative GPA and how many?

What are ways/classes you took to help raise your cumulative GPA and how many?

I retook 2 physics courses, developmental psych, and statistics all at a community college.

I retook 2 physics courses, developmental psych, and statistics all at a community college.

okay, I'm somewhat in the same boat, and I'm applying ED at UNTHSC. I retook Chem 2 and lifespan and got an A. I'm retaking Physics 1 and taking a kinesiology course which I anticipate on getting A's also. I hope it'll raise my GPA quite significanty...

Hey everyone, I just wanted to make a thread for those who are applying for the second time to share with us what they have done to strengthen their application for candidacy into PT school.

I can start it off. I applied last year and was rejected from the schools I applied into. My stats during that time were a s-GPA: 3.48 and c-GPA 3.53, GRE: V: 150, Quan: 149, Essay or Qual: 5. My experience in the field was 2175 hours working as a licensed PTA.

Most of the schools rejected me for my low GPA, since their avg gpa of acceptance was 3.7 or better. I contacted all the schools and asked what needed to be done, and they gave me specific classes to retake. So, since then I have been receiving higher marks in the retaken classes for A's. I am finished with bumping up my s-GPA, I now am completing classes to bump up my overall GPA.

I also reached out to some people on SDN who stated that they applied a second time and got accepted. They gave me advice and words of encouragement.

Just remember, when you get rejected, it doesn't mean to stop trying. It just means that you have to ask yourself, how much harder are you willing to push yourself to achieve this goal. The roller coaster of emotions will test you during this time, but you have to remember "why" you are doing this!

Good Luck to the "2nd-time-a-rounders," and stay focused!
What time in the process did you apply last year? and What schools did you apply to...just out of curiosity

Hey everyone, goodluck on reapplying! I am also a re-applicant and was wondering how everyone formatted their essays on "what have you done to strengthen your application?" I myself have retaken physiology and have completed more acute inpatient volunteer hours but am contemplating how I can format this into an essay and how long I should make it.

Hey everyone, goodluck on reapplying! I am also a re-applicant and was wondering how everyone formatted their essays on "what have you done to strengthen your application?" I myself have retaken physiology and have completed more acute inpatient volunteer hours but am contemplating how I can format this into an essay and how long I should make it.
I'm also interested in what to write about in the strengthen application portion. I retook a class and took a medical terminology class and am continuing to take classes as well as got more hours just because I wanted to see the setting. I think I'm going to break it into 2 paragraphs- grades and volunteer- and then a conclusion just saying that I want this program and believe I'll be a good fit. Anyone successful with this portion of the application? Does it really even make a difference on what you say?

What time in the process did you apply last year? and What schools did you apply to...just out of curiosity

cdozaPT: I applied at the end of September last year. That was also one of the reason my application was hurt. A PT liason from one of the schools told me that you can be a 4.0 student, but if your application is at the bottom of the pile, it will not be seen; or if it is seen and you meet their criteria for acceptance you would be put on the wait list. So, for this cycle I applied once the cycle opened in July.