Anyone applying to both MD and DDS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idandps

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone planning to apply to both MD and DDS?
And for some schools that have both MD and dentistry schools, is it possible
to apply to both of the schools in the same year?
Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

idandps said:

I would think at most schools it would be a red flag that you're using the DDS just as a back up to MD. I know that's how they perceive it at VCU.

Just wondering, why would you want to do that? :confused:

I know some of my friends that are going to dental school and will also eventually have to get an MD due to some specialties they want to go into, but the dental school has special programs for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
BlackBantie said:
I know some of my friends that are going to dental school and will also eventually have to get an MD due to some specialties they want to go into, but the dental school has special programs for that.

Read kevin_md2010's post, and don't give me a smart-ass comment, please.

I actually heard that the schools will never find out what other programs you are applying to unless you tell them. They don'y even know which med schools you are applying to and they definately do not have the time/effort to research each applicant in that detail.

I'd say, go for it if you have the $$ and time to do it.

I figure as long as no one knows, it's not going to hurt you. Just be sure you are willing to do either in case you get into one or the other program.

NonTradMed said:
I figure as long as no one knows, it's not going to hurt you. Just be sure you are willing to do either in case you get into one or the other program.
I say don't do it. You are more than likely able to find a job with your degree. Wait one more year and try again. Dental school is long and if you are doing it as a backup plan you will never be happy.

BlackBantie said:

OMFS has a 4 year program and then a 6 year which results in an MD..I think that is the time span. The MD is considered more as an advertisement that one is super ultra mega cool than anything....There is always debate in the dentistry areas which one is truly better. I don't want to get into that. But OMFS does really cool stuff and seems to have a bit to a lot, depending on the practice, of the same procedures as ENT or Plastics....again if any ENT, OMFS, or Plastics guy comes in here and gets mad at that statement ..feel free to correct me.lol Not trying to start anything here. But basically there are interesting areas medically to denistry...just have to be damn good to get into them.

idandps said:
Read kevin_md2010's post, and don't give me a smart-ass comment, please.
If the schools find out you're applying to both you will very likely be rejected by both. People dedicated to a lifetime of service as an MD don't also apply to be a dentist as a backup. They'll write you off as some guy who just hopes to make big money.

You should first decide what you really want to do with your life and go for it.

good luck
Johnny

JohnnyOU said:
If the schools find out you're applying to both you will very likely be rejected by both. People dedicated to a lifetime of service as an MD don't also apply to be a dentist as a backup. They'll write you off as some guy who just hopes to make big money.

You should first decide what you really want to do with your life and go for it.

good luck
Johnny

Agree with this. It's hard to show a complete dedication to medicine if you are hedging your bets. If you are really intent on being a doctor, you have to wait on your plan B until all initial avenues are exhausted. No med school wants someone who, if they don't get in, would be happy to just shrug it off and go to dental school, rather than look into how to improve their application for the next cycle. And schools don't want people who just want to be a professional (and don't care what), or perhaps just want doctor in their name. It's all or nothing. Also I'm sure dental schools don't like to be the backups -- they want folks who truly want to be dentists, not MD washouts.
The fields are pretty different in a lot of ways. It's best to decide what you want to do by talking to and watching professionals in the respective fields. Then go whole hog into whichever field is most enticing.

JohnnyOU said:
If the schools find out you're applying to both you will very likely be rejected by both. People dedicated to a lifetime of service as an MD don't also apply to be a dentist as a backup. They'll write you off as some guy who just hopes to make big money. You should first decide what you really want to do with your life and go for it.

Save your lecture for somebody else, go to "Anyone being a doctor just for money" thread and lecture for lost souls their. Being a male in his 30's with a family to feed, I cannot afford to wait one more year to get in to 6-7 year MD program. If I don't get into any MD school, then I intend to go to dental school, without having to wait one more year. If you have problem with people seeking MD just for money, so be it. But don't speak like you are a morally superior being, that fuccking disgusts me. I bet you could think off the top of your head 10 nauseating things you have done which you are too ashamed to talk about. That said, you are not the most ethical person there is, so shut up and save your breath and keep your holy moral standard to yourself.

JohnnyOU said:
good luck
No thanks I don"t need your luck

idandps said:
Save your lecture for somebody else, go to "Anyone being a doctor just for money" thread and lecture for lost souls their. Being a male in his 30's with a family to feed, I cannot afford to wait one more year to get in to 6-7 year MD program. If I don't get into any MD school, then I intend to go to dental school, without having to wait one more year. If you have problem with people seeking MD just for money, so be it. But don't speak like you are a morally superior being, that fuccking disgusts me. I bet you could think of 10 nauseating amoral things you have done which you are too ashamed to talk about. That said, you are not the most ethical person there is, so shut up and save your breath and keep your holy moral standard to yourself.

No thanks I don"t need your luck

I really don't get why you are being so rude to people on here that are just trying to give you honest advice on a question you asked? Everyone else is being nice and helpful so I don't get this.

shantster said:
I really don't get why you are being so rude to people on here that are just trying to give you honest advice on a question you asked? Everyone else is being nice and helpful so I don't get this.

First of all, as far as how I feel, that person I replied to didn't help me.
I was just sick and tired of people hear who judge others based on their moral standards.

idandps said:
Save your lecture for somebody else, go to "Anyone being a doctor just for money" thread and lecture for lost souls their. Being a male in his 30's with a family to feed, I cannot afford to wait one more year to get in to 6-7 year MD program. If I don't get into any MD school, then I intend to go to dental school, without having to wait one more year. If you have problem with people seeking MD just for money, so be it. But don't speak like you are a morally superior being, that fuccking disgusts me. I bet you could think off the top of your head 10 nauseating things you have done which you are too ashamed to talk about. That said, you are not the most ethical person there is, so shut up and save your breath and keep your holy moral standard to yourself.
Be as rude as you like, but admissions committees are not going to see it your way. You are in it for the money, and while I am most certainly not on any pedestal above you (hell, money is a big factor for me as well), schools discourage this train of thought by uniformly rejecting applicants who express it.

That said, I don't know how these programs would figure out that you're doing this unless you tell them. If you are capable of putting on a facade of dedication to MD-only and DDS-only to the respective programs, then I can't see how it could hurt you.

idandps said:
If you have problem with people seeking MD just for money, so be it. But don't speak like you are a morally superior being, that fuccking disgusts me.

It's really not an issue of who that poster has a problem with, it's an issue of who adcoms have a problem with. If you think you will get far in the admissions process telling people (or telegraphing by your actions, backups etc) that you are in it for the cash, you may be in for a rude awakening. But to each his own. :)

One of my classmates was rejected from all schools he applied to since he didnt show complete dedication to the field since he also had interest in veterinary medicine (applied concurrently). Vet med and allopathic (he applied only to MD schools) is way more similar than dental, so thats something to think about.

Ultimately, there are plenty of people that want to get into med school, plenty of people who have shown full and complete dedication to the profession, and plenty of people who had social/financial/personal hardships. On top of that, many of these people have pretty good if not spectacular applications.

Applicants are more or less a dime a dozen, and adcoms are always looking for any reason to knock you out of the application process to narrow down the application pool. The OP can do what he/she wants, but the applicant is also assuming they would get into one program or the other. At least in CA, that may not be a realistic assumption. Perhaps it is different outside of CA, but then again, if I wanted to make money to support myself, I could've found a job that didn't require 4 years of school, and years of residency to finally reach the "average" salary of the profession.

Your attitude leads me to believe you will not perform well in interviews.

If you want a back up apply to DO schools as well as MD schools. Applying to dental and medical school just doesn't fit.

Although before you consider professional school you may want to work on an attitude change first.

DoctorPardi said:
Your attitude leads me to believe you will not perform well in interviews.
If you want a back up apply to DO schools as well as MD schools. Applying to dental and medical school just doesn't fit.
Although before you consider professional school you may want to work on an attitude change first.

Well, I think you should change your mindset first. For your avatar shows why you want to become a doctor, to get laid.

idandps said:

I didn't really bother to read through all of the posts because I noticed a lot of angry responses, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I dont know if I'd actually apply to both MD and DDS programs at the same time just because that could get a little bit nuts, but I might. See, I've already applied to medical school. I'm on two waitlists, and I haven't gotten in anywhere else yet. Becoming a doctor has been a dream for me, but that dream doesn't seem to be materializing, sadly enough. So what i'm doing now is taking some time off to pursue an M.S. or M.P.H. (still deciding on which program... I love both options). I'm planning on reapplying to both MD and DO programs, but I am also taking the DAT this summer. I dont know if I'll apply to dental school, but I am going to use this year to really explore the career and see if it's a good fit for me. Despite some of the responses in this thread, I think your thoughts are valid. Dentistry IS a health care profession, and many students who are interested in healthcare but find for whatever reason that medicine isn't the best fit for them actually do consider dentistry. So ya, I'm giving it a shot just to make sure ... And who knows, maybe I'll ditch medicine and only apply to dental school.

And I want to tell you that I dont think your thoughts make you some money-minded jerk. Personally, I dont consider myself incredibly money-minded, and I'm not in medicine "for the money." I DO want a job that I can support myself with comfortably... and if I do expensive schooling, I DO want enough money to pay off my loans...and I DO want to have money to give my children (if I have them) amazing opportunities. But I also want to love going to my job everyday, and I want to feel rewarded... And I dont think it's unreasonable to believe that dentistry and medicine could both do that... Yes, they both do have some significant differences, but allowing yourself options doesn't make you a bad person... I think it reflects that you might have a positive attitude and are willing to try different things and allow life to present you with different opportunities...

Anyway, good luck, and if you ever want to talk about this more, PM me or anything :)