anyone applying to pacific u in oregon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dovebar

anyone waiting for pacific's apps to come out july 1. this is one of my choices cuz it's 3 years and on the west coast. anyone else applying to this school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be applying to Pacific U as well. Already sent in the pre-req worksheet about a month ago to get my name thrown out there.

One of their requirements is to have 40 hours pharmacy experience/observation prior to your application, so make sure you've got that done. :thumbup:

it used to be one of my choices..
but this school doesn't have full accreditation yet.
you guys already know it, right?
That's what makes me hesitated on applying.
I also asked opinions from many pharmacy school students, and their answers were "Do not apply!".

what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
im planning to apply to this school....

so...what was the reason that pharmacy school students told you not to apply to pacific u?

I also asked opinions from many pharmacy school students, and their answers were "Do not apply!".

what do you guys think?

what do you guys think?

Talk to some current Pacific students on this board, there are a few if you do a search. You can also call the school and voice your concerns and they will give you their speel, I am sure they have fielded this question many times.

The school has put a lot of time and money into this program. Pacific has successful Physical Therapy and Optometry programs as well as PA program. Nothing is a guarantee but Pacific has proven it knows how to run Health professional programs, Optometry and physical therapy, so I see no reason to worry about the accreditation going through.

does anybody know when their application will be posted on their website???

it says that their application will be posted july 1st. but i cant seem to find it.:confused:

Talk to some current Pacific students on this board, there are a few if you do a search. You can also call the school and voice your concerns and they will give you their speel, I am sure they have fielded this question many times.

The school has put a lot of time and money into this program. Pacific has successful Physical Therapy and Optometry programs as well as PA program. Nothing is a guarantee but Pacific has proven it knows how to run Health professional programs, Optometry and physical therapy, so I see no reason to worry about the accreditation going through.

Pacific U has already been granted candidate status: Every student that graduates from Pacific University's School of Pharmacy can sit the NAPLEX - and become a pharmacist.

That is straight from the horse's mouth. I would spend sometime getting to know the program at Pac U - I am a HUGE fan of Pacific, but it is not for everyone. If you are thinking about attending just because it is on the west coast and is 3 years - you may be biting off more than you can chew. It is an accelerated program, and the information flies at you fast and furious.

If anyone has questions about Pacific - feel free to post here or PM me...

~above~

does anybody know when their application will be posted on their website???

it says that their application will be posted july 1st. but i cant seem to find it.:confused:

They seem to run 15 days behind schedule with these type of things - Feel free to email Lonnie with any questions. She responds quickly and is very friendly.

~above~

I have nothing but good things to say about this school. The current students are super friendly and Oregonians in general are very down-to-earth and humble people.

I interviewed in the last application cycle, had the opportunity to meet the students and Lonnie in person which made me want to attend Pacific U despite the accreditation status. When the time is near to apply, you'll find Lonnie's personality very refreshing compared to the other admission staff members you'll deal with in the future. She's patient, consistently friendly and makes every effort to answer your inquiries, comments or concerns in a timely manner.

The only downfall is the admissions acceptance deposit. It's a whopping $1,000. I put my deposit down and though I'm not attending the school in the fall, I'm glad it's going to school I would've been happy to attend.

what do you guys think?

To address your concern regarding Pacific U's accreditation status, the school has to wait until the 1st charter class (Class of 2009) graduates, take & PASS the Naplex until they are granted full-accreditation. At least they're moving in the right direction and as aboveliquidice mentioned, they've been granted Candidate status, which is always a good sign.

What concerns me about applying to PU is that you'd need to get a recommendation letter from a pharmacist. This is what's listed on their website:

One evaluation form MUST be from a pharmacist with whom you have worked, volunteered or observed within a professional capacity.

I volunteer at two pharmacies, but I feel that it's impossible for me to get a recommendation letter from a pharmacist simply because they don't know me. There are 6 or 7 pharmacists total that work there and they rotate pretty much week by week. So I only get to see one pharmacist once like every 4-5 weeks. I usually work with the technicians. I can get proof from the volunteer department saying that I have observed at a pharmacy though.

So for those of you that have gotten into the program at PU, did you get a rec letter from a pharmacist?

What concerns me about applying to PU is that you'd need to get a recommendation letter from a pharmacist. This is what's listed on their website:

One evaluation form MUST be from a pharmacist with whom you have worked, volunteered or observed within a professional capacity.

I volunteer at two pharmacies, but I feel that it's impossible for me to get a recommendation letter from a pharmacist simply because they don't know me. There are 6 or 7 pharmacists total that work there and they rotate pretty much week by week. So I only get to see one pharmacist once like every 4-5 weeks. I usually work with the technicians. I can get proof from the volunteer department saying that I have observed at a pharmacy though.

So for those of you that have gotten into the program at PU, did you get a rec letter from a pharmacist?

An excellent way to evaluate whether or not a person would be a good pharmacist - is to ask current pharmacists. Would this person, in your opinion, be a good pharmacist? I believe on the recommendation sheet that must be filled out, there is actually a place where the pharmacist can respond to this question.

One of the best ways to get a recommendation is to share your desire for one from the pharmacist. Then, through hard work, you can earn it. I would worry about a person's ability to handle the many tasks of a pharmacist - if they feel so intimidated by the prospect of getting a LOR. Of all the LORs you will get in your career - the pharmacist should be one of the easiest. I am sure your chemistry professor, when you were just 1 of 500 students, was more difficult.

Do not be discouraged - decide your course of action - and go do it.

~above~

This school is my first choice... i have send the prereq work sheet.. but since i am an international appliacant i still to figure out what prereqs am left with.... good luck guys... apllication form will be out in a week

Has anyone been able to find the application online yet? On the Pacific website it says that the application opens on August 1st but it seems like its not up yet...

They have had some technical issues and said that they will post up the online application by September 1st. The deadlines are the same as before...

I made it through the first year of pharmacy school at Pacific University unscathed and I have to say that I'm really impressed with the block system. As mentioned above by a fellow classmate, the accelerated program is indeed "fast and furious" but as I worked my summer externship I found that I was ahead of the curve when compared to other pharmacy students that had just finished their first year. One thing that puts this pharmacy school ahead of the others is the accessibility of the faculty. If you are planning on going to this school or applying to this school keep one thing in mind: this is a 2-year old program and there are many "kinks" to be worked out, but overall you will receive the same education that you would have at other schools. Any other questions that you may have feel free to post again and I'll try to get back to them swiftly or just PM me.

Pacific was one of my non-PharCAS picks until I saw the recommendation form. It's already a pain in the ass to get extra references or to have pharmacists do multiple ones, but man it asks a lot of them. Maybe I should ask the pharmacist to bend over and take it while there at it! I'm applying to 17 others schools so I just said fuggetaboutit!!

I know where they're coming from though and I think Oregon would be a cool place to live!