Anyone applying to University of Sydney vet med for 2016 entry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

middlemergs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to see if anyone is applying to the University of Sydney vet med this year for 2016 entry!

Anyone know what their admissions stats look like?

Also has anyone heard anything good or bad about the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently studying abroad (undergrad) at USyd right now and have talked with a few vet students who I've volunteered with. So no personal experience but from what I can tell the program is undergoing some pretty big changes right now...they've just added their DVM program and are fading out the Bachelors of Vet Med program so that part is fairly new.

Something to keep in mind if you're not from Australia or Sydney in particular: everything is crazy expensive. Tuition, housing, food, transportation...everything!

If you have any questions PM me and I'll try to answer. I have some friends in the veterinary program and have volunteered with a couple of DVMs who teach there.

Reactions: 1 users
wait! What? the usa agent from Sydney mentioned nothing of fading out the BVMed. The program I am applying to is a 6 year program" 3 years undergrad - then if all is going well - onto DVM for 3 years. As long as the grades and interest is there, one progresses from undergrad to grad/DVM. is this not so?

Members don't see this ad :)
wait! What? the usa agent from Sydney mentioned nothing of fading out the BVMed. The program I am applying to is a 6 year program" 3 years undergrad - then if all is going well - onto DVM for 3 years. As long as the grades and interest is there, one progresses from undergrad to grad/DVM. is this not so?

Okay so as far as I know you should still be good. By changing to DVM they aren't making 4 years of undergrad and 4 years of vet required like the states...it's still 6 years but instead of coming out of school with a Bachelors, you finish with a DVM. My main point is that this is a new program for them so if you're contacting current students about the program, make sure you talk to those who are doing the DVM.

It seems that in order to get directly into DVM you have to have an undergraduate degree first. The other option is to go into their 6 year program like animalrie said, with the first 2 years focusing on prerequisite science courses and what not.

I've just been accepted and have committed to the USyd DVM program starting 2016! USyd Vet actually came out 1st this year in the souther hemisphere and 11th in the world!

Hey Ivan. I also have been accepted to the DVM program at USyd! Looking forward to it!!!

Can anyone speak to the Sydney Vet DVM Program as a US Student? I have gotten into a few vet schools some in the states and some in UK as well but love the idea of being able to live in Australia. But I just feel like for some reason I shouldn't do it or it will make it harder for me to find a job later on in the US. Would love to hear from some US students!

Curious to see if anyone is applying to the University of Sydney vet med this year for 2016 entry!

Anyone know what their admissions stats look like?

Also has anyone heard anything good or bad about the program?
Hey I know this is a little late, or 2 years late , but I was wondering if you applied to the Bvetbiol/DVM program at USYD? I'm really interested and want to know my chances of getting in and the rigor of the courses? I hope you reply, and thanks in advance!