Anyone at a school with an active Wilderness Medicine Interest Group?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in talking to someone from an active medical student group...

Members don't see this ad.

We don't have a wilderness group. We have an emergency medicine action corps that focuses on wilderness medicine and medical missions to the underserved.

This is at Temple Med

We have one, and a good chunk of the pharm on our last test had to do with treating venomous bites and toxicity due to Arkansas plants.

Members don't see this ad :)
We do at Kentucky. This week we went to Red River Gorge and were instructed on high pressure situations... cool.

I think we may have the most active chapter for WMIG... because we have several attendings who really like this stuff.:thumbup:

We do at MCW. They go on trips up north in Wisconsin. There are lots of lakes and trails up there.

Thanks all. For those who have participated in your campus' organization, would you mind giving a brief overview of how your group operates? I would imagine most have the occasional lunch meeting with a guest speaker, a few weekend outdoorsy-type trips throughout the semester and maybe a larger trip once or twice a year?

I can't recall ours ever having speakers, but I'm sure it happens occasionally. I'd say they go out to do something at least every 2 weeks and have a bigger expedition maybe every 2 months or so. A lot of the individuals get together to camp and/or climb independently of the club, too. Of course, it's a lot easier to do these things when you're in an outdoorsy state like AR. Things might be a whole lot different at other schools.

Not an allopathic school, but we have one at LMU-DCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be interested in talking to someone from an active medical student group...

I've heard that U of Utah has the best wilderness medicine program out there. I'm not sure how much of it is due to student club activity, but if you're looking for ideas... you may want to contact someone there.

We've got a pretty active WMIG at University of Maryland

I'm at the U of U. We do have a very active Wilderness Medicine due both to a large student interest and a well organized director. We run First Responder courses at least once a month, write text books, and there is even a rotation in WM in Moab. It's pretty cool. If you want to do a rotation in WM, this is the place to do it.

We also have one at Wake Forest.

We do at Kentucky. This week we went to Red River Gorge and were instructed on high pressure situations... cool.

I think we may have the most active chapter for WMIG... because we have several attendings who really like this stuff.:thumbup:

Red River Gorge has some awesome hiking. The natural arches are spectacular. I can see there being a need for some sort of medical training hiking in a few different areas out there.