Anyone at SLU yesterday?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwoSteveSquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to see if I was interviewing with any of my peeps.

Oh yeah...SLU IS AWESOME!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've got mine on the 16th...why is the school fairly unknown? I've heard from people who have been there that it is an awesome place, so I'm left wondering why it's not very high on people's wish lists.

The only reason why it's not famous is cause it has little NIH funding (22 million). So it doesn't get ranked. But this is a clinical institution. They are proud of how they produce top notch clinicians. They look at personality over mcat's and gpa's. It's obvious when you meet their student body. A bunch of great people, no gunners allowed. Besides, they have one of the best match lists I've ever seen for a school not in the top 15.

If you want a big name, don't go there. But if you want a good education with cool classmates, this might be the place for you. It just jumped up to my top three choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Darwin: I'll be at SLU on the 16th as well. See you there!!!

I saw that most people are staying at the Days Inn Airport, so I guess I'll make my reservation there. Does anyone (2Steve?) know how far away the university is from the airport? And is the Days Inn Airport actually at the airport? Taxi? Shuttle? Thanks.

PS: See ya' there Barton!

I'm a first year at SLU and it's been awesome so far. Try staying somewhere with some night life. I've stayed at the hotels around the airport before when I first came here and the ones in downtown. Maybe try one of the Drury Inns in downtown, like the one by Union Station. You could kill two birds with one stone as the Gateway Arch isn't too far and you can use the metro to get to the med school or airport and back.

If you have any other questions in general, let me know. Hope the weather keeps up when you guys get here. Good luck!

wyldstyle2000

Is anyone staying with a student from the class of 2004? I am. I got stuff about this with my interview invite. What's it like? Decent?

Originally posted by Darwin:
•I saw that most people are staying at the Days Inn Airport, so I guess I'll make my reservation there. Does anyone (2Steve?) know how far away the university is from the airport? And is the Days Inn Airport actually at the airport? Taxi? Shuttle? Thanks.

PS: See ya' there Barton!•

I stayed at the Days Inn Airport when I interviewed at SLU. Its like $50 a night or so, and nothing fancy, but its good enough for me.

They have a free shuttle that will take you to the airport any time you want. The metrorail has a stop at the airport you can use to get to SLU.

The hotel is actually about 1.5 miles away from the airport, so you need to call them to pick you up when you arrive.

I'm not sure about distance of SLU from the airport/hotel, but by the metrolink its about a 15 minute ride. The metrolink drops you off about 1/2 a mile from the medical center. You can walk from the metrolink stop off Grand Blvd or you can wait for a bus or free shuttle to stop by every 20 mins or so.

Thanks for all the help guys...I'll certainly let you know how it goes. BTW...I didn't get anything in the mail about staying with students. All they sent me was a generic letter (addressed to "applicant") telling me to call to set up a date. I wish I had received a little more info...would've made things a bit easier. I don't even know when I'm supposed to show up. The only information I have is my interview date, time, and interviewer name...but as far as the schedule for the day...NOTHING. Thanks again everyone.

Hey Darwin,

Give the admissions office a call. Ask them about the student stay over. They may or may not have some available, but I'd ask anyways. I had that same letter when I applied and it really doesn't expose the admissions offices resources well.

I know they have student volunteers to house interviewers overnight as they sent all of the med students emails info regarding it.

wyldstyle2000