Anyone at UMass (Amherst), Suny Albany, NYMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolmavs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys I was looking for some opinions on the MPH program in these schools. If anyone has any info, hint , suggestion on these colleges and what specializations are they famous for in terms of a good program will be hichly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

coolmavs said:
Guys I was looking for some opinions on the MPH program in these schools. If anyone has any info, hint , suggestion on these colleges and what specializations are they famous for in terms of a good program will be hichly appreciated.

I have no directly experience with any of them (short of being interested in Albany and UMass as places to live). But, I can say that I met one of my school's alums who is now a prof at SUNY Albany. She said that their programs is very applied (not reseach heavy). Their students do a lot of internships at the state health department. And, I get the feeling they are stronger in Health Behavior / Health Education, and descriptive epidemiology.

UMass Amherst has a good MPH Epi-Biostats program. SUNY Albany is also a good place for an MPH.
people from both these schools are encouraged to do lots of practical work, and there are lots of good internships the students go to..that being said, from SUNY Albany, there are opportunities to do internships with the NY State Dept of Health.this is one of the most organised,efficient and "cutting-edge" places to gain experience in public health practice, be it in any sphere of public health.it would be a far more enriching experience to work with the NY State DoH than Mass State DoH...that apart, i dont really know much more about these two programs...my 2c.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot guys for the help that you have provided. Anyone has got any views on the MPH degree at New York Medical College?

Guys any recent grauates from Umass or Suny? I have heard that Umass is going through some sort of an accredition problem and it is having some implications on the students passing out from there? Also I have heard that the rpogran at Suny is supposed to be very rigirous and takes a long time to complete.....anyone can provide more info or clarify these issues.

coolmavs said:
I have heard that Umass is going through some sort of an accredition problem and it is having some implications on the students passing out from there? Also I have heard that the rpogran at Suny is supposed to be very rigirous and takes a long time to complete.....anyone can provide more info or clarify these issues.
Yup and Yup.
UMass Amherst is under probation as we speak. It apparently has to do with some admin stuff or something like that, and not the acads. Anyway,their degree is going to be from an accredited school. UMass comes up for review in 2008, so if you enter before then, your degree shouldn't suffer.

SUNY definitely has a very rigorous program. They work very closely with one of the best State Depts of Health in the bizniz, and make sure you will be up to their exacting standards or something.

Thanks Uhoh, for the reply.

I'm considering SUNY right now, but not having spoken to an MPH graduate, I don't know what opinions to believe.

SUNY doesn't rank very high on the US News Report, but then again, I've always been quite skeptical of their ranking.

What does a degree from SUNY look like in terms of credibility or network?

I'm only starting to hear back from schools, so I have a long way to go before I have to decide. Just thought I'd be efficient and find out as much about the schools I've been accepted to as the decisions come in.

Any thoughts?

keep in mind that the us news and world report rankings are not especially reliable because they only include schools of public health. many schools offer accredited mph programs, but will not be included in the rankings because they dont have a dedicated school of public health (brown, upenn, tufts, mt. sinai, ny medical college, etc.)