Anyone Attend Umsl School Of Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MZTCM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Dudues and Dudettes! Happy holidays to you all. I was wondering if anyone attends UMSL and how they are liking it. Is it pretty tough to get in? How are the professors there? I am a nursing major now and was considering changing my major to fit the pre-optometry standards. I am just not sure if the nursing profession is for me. Optometry is in my heart. I want to go for it. My grades are great and I am sure that I would do well on the OAT. I would hate to drop a sure thing like being an BSN RN for a long shot, but I would think that it would be well worth the try.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I am a 3rd year at UMSL. If you have great grades and you do well on the OAT, you should land an interview easily. Just apply early. I had a really good GPA and a decent OAT score (I didn't study for the OAT...I do NOT recommend that) and getting in was no problem for me.

Anyway, I like it here. It's kind of a hard question to answer during finals week, when I'm pretty sure NO ONE is that excited about school! :D I am from Missouri, and I have to admit in-state tuition was a big factor for me, as was the relative proximity to family. I also really liked the class size (not tiny, but not huge). I am still happy with my decision to come here. All of the OD's I knew before coming here are really excellent clinicians, and I feel I am getting a quality education.

For the most part, the professors are excellent. There is only one prof I can think of that isn't terrific in lecture, but he is awesome in clinic.

If optometry is in your heart, you should definitely pursue it or at least look into it a little more. PM me anytime if you have any more questions. :)

I want to re-energize this thread:

Can current students and especially past students (who have hindsight!) of UMSL optometry offer their opinions of the school's program, please?

Do you feel that UMSL prepared you for your national boards?

Do you feel comfortable with your clinical experience? Do you feel confident that UMSL will/has helped you secure a strong foothold in the industry?

Do you feel UMSL provided you with enough networking opportunities?---- Is UMSL involved/give students the oportunity to be involved with the AOA more (relatively) than other schools since headquarters is w/in city limits?

What did you like/dislike about the school?

Any other comments/opinions/gripes/regrets/praise/etc. would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!:)