Anyone buy any of the books on the Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Things like First Aid for the Match? I feel like I remember being advised to pick it up, but I can't imagine it being all that necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Things like First Aid for the Match? I feel like I remember being advised to pick it up, but I can't imagine it being all that necessary.

I feel as if everything that you would need to know about the Match is here on SDN or better - ask one of your friends who matched into a competitive specialties for advice.

I personally didn't. My roommate did. He ended up at UCSF. I did not. Perhaps a correlation? Actually I think it was that he was like number 7 in a class of 180 and had a 274 on his Step 1, but who knows...

Realistically, your school should be giving you information about the match (it is advantageous for them for you to match well), and you can find help online. If, however, reading a book on the match will lessen anxiety, I'd say its worth dropping 50 bucks on one book. The match can be a very stressful time for most people, deciding the fate of their career at times. If you can be a better person, live a better life, and ensure in your heartsoul that you did the very best you could (no regrets), then isn't that better than wondering for the rest of your life?

So, if you're thinking about it. Buy it.
If you just heard from someone else that these exist and you're looking for some intel, no need to buy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally didn't. My roommate did. He ended up at UCSF. I did not. Perhaps a correlation? Actually I think it was that he was like number 7 in a class of 180 and had a 274 on his Step 1, but who knows...

Realistically, your school should be giving you information about the match (it is advantageous for them for you to match well), and you can find help online. If, however, reading a book on the match will lessen anxiety, I'd say its worth dropping 50 bucks on one book. The match can be a very stressful time for most people, deciding the fate of their career at times. If you can be a better person, live a better life, and ensure in your heartsoul that you did the very best you could (no regrets), then isn't that better than wondering for the rest of your life?

So, if you're thinking about it. Buy it.
If you just heard from someone else that these exist and you're looking for some intel, no need to buy it.

Maybe it was morseo the 274 than class rank, but both helped..... definitely more than having a book on the match. :laugh: OP if you can get it from the library or a used version cheap online then go for it. Otherwise I'd say save your money! I know plenty of people who matched well without having to read any books on it

I've purchased a few that are pretty good.

• First Aid for the Match
  • Iserson's
  • The Successful Match
SDN obviously has a lot of good advice, but these also go into more depth on certain topics.

They certainly aren't essential but they also can be very helpful.

I've purchased a few that are pretty good.

• First Aid for the Match
  • Iserson's
  • The Successful Match
SDN obviously has a lot of good advice, but these also go into more depth on certain topics.

I liked Iserson's better than the Successful Match. They share the same themes, so if I were you OP I'd pick just one. All the match advice I've read so far basically echoes - do well. There's a couple other things here and there, timing wise/etc that aren't well known, so whether it's worth the money is up to you. It's more for reassurances purposes imo and if you have 0 idea of what to do.

Just my 2 cents.

i liked iserson's better than the successful match. They share the same themes, so if i were you op i'd pick just one. All the match advice i've read so far basically echoes - do well. There's a couple other things here and there, timing wise/etc that aren't well known, so whether it's worth the money is up to you. It's more for reassurances purposes imo and if you have 0 idea of what to do.

Just my 2 cents.

+1