Anyone concerned about flying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Smokey

I have been on a plane once, and it was pre-9/11. With 9/11, the UK to US threat, coverage about the lack of security, and the recent crash in Kentucky, is anyone else concerned about flying? I am particularly less than enthusiastic about flying into NYC (which I am scheduled to do)....

I guess you could cite statistics that flying is safer than driving, possibly even walking down the street, but there is something about the lack of control one has in the passenger seat @ 30,000 feet. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

No, I'm not concerned. Here's some advice: If some jackasses go ahead and hijack the plane, then you get off your ass and fight with all of your ****ing strength to take the plane back from them. Once that plane is hijacked, you go ahead and consider all the rules as being thrown out the window. YOU NEVER GIVE UP. You start fearing that kind of crap and you're letting the terrorists win.

Don't worry, I get on a plane 5 or 6 times a year (since 9-11) because I always fly home, and nothing's ever happened. I'm still posting on SDN.
:love:
Millions of people fly everyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just flew back to NY from Florida to start school and will be flying to chicago for Pritzker soon. I would say the only thing to remember is to check what they are allowing you take on the plane and wear shoes you can take off for security. Try not to let the nerves get you, its not worth hte stress.

Don't ever be concerned with flying. Statistically, you are taking a bigger chance every time you set foot in a car.

The thing that scares me about flying this interview season is the fact that there's so much uncertainty about arrival times, if an airline is going to strike or not, etc. I just hope I don't have to call a med school and explain that my flight got cancelled, and I need to reschedule.

Flying is absolutely totally safe. I fly 2-3 times/year and was abroad this summer (flew home a couple days after the UK bomb plot was foiled; that was quite a story). Getting through security kind of sucks, but I think the airport personnel have done their best to make it as unstressful as possible.

I'd be more worried about paying attention to the restrictions on what travelers can bring, which seem to change every day. Just heard that some airlines are going to disallow any baggage (no carry-ons, no checked luggage) and make you ship your bags to your destination. Which kind of ... doesn't work for in-and-out interviews.

just remember to pray before take off...

And one piece of advice for everyone... DO NOT check-in any bags. Just carry all your items on the plane with you. You don't want to have to worry about them losing your luggage and your interview clothes (the only thing is now you can't have liquids or creams or gels on board, so how are we supposed to carry lotion, shampoo, hair spray or gel....o well)

And one piece of advice for everyone... DO NOT check-in any bags. Just carry all your items on the plane with you. You don't want to have to worry about them losing your luggage and your interview clothes (the only thing is now you can't have liquids or creams or gels on board, so how are we supposed to carry lotion, shampoo, hair spray or gel....o well)

easily solved..........just shave head (eliminates hairspray,gel,shampoo), and put water on your face (eliminated lotion)...and your all set......i hope you not a girl...

easily solved..........just shave head (eliminates hairspray,gel,shampoo), and put water on your face (eliminated lotion)...and your all set......i hope you not a girl...

Darn it. :sleep: Why couldn't my parents make a boy instead????

Just kidding, but it would be a lot easier, as you said. Shave my head and VOILA` !!!

So I'm sharing a little neurotic side of me, but I am currently weaning myself onto solid-based deodhorant, as my Mitchum gel isn't allowed. Now to think about hair care...

To the OP and anybody who's actually concerned with flying: Dude(s), just stop watching Fox, CNN, MSNBC, .... BBC is ok (sometimes). But seriously, American media just makes money by scaring the **** out of everyone. So don't be concerned.

Darn it. :sleep: Why couldn't my parents make a boy instead????

Just kidding, but it would be a lot easier, as you said. Shave my head and VOILA` !!!

hehe, thats what i am planning on doing it (to make things simple)....but then i will have about 2 months of "NO GIRLS" as i look super funny with a shaved head....not sure if its worth it...

Members don't see this ad :)
hehe, thats what i am planning on doing it (to make things simple)....but then i will have about 2 months of "NO GIRLS" as i look super funny with a shaved head....not sure if its worth it...

hmmhn agreed shave head..

If you're really concerned, fly on one of those small planes, especially if it's a short flight. I know Delta runs shuttles from NY to Florida, Chicago, DC, Boston. The planes are smaller, check in takes 5 minutes, and who really wants to hijack a tiny plane?

Seriously, I live in NY, and I fly out of either LaGuardia, JFK, or Newark at least 5 times a year. Mostly JFK though. You'll be fine, relax.

I have been on a plane once, and it was pre-9/11. With 9/11, the UK to US threat, coverage about the lack of security, and the recent crash in Kentucky, is anyone else concerned about flying? I am particularly less than enthusiastic about flying into NYC (which I am scheduled to do)....

I guess you could cite statistics that flying is safer than driving, possibly even walking down the street, but there is something about the lack of control one has in the passenger seat @ 30,000 feet. :scared:

Yes, there's no real getting around that I'm-not-the-one-driving sensation. I fly all the time, and it bugs me a little. Two pieces of advice:

1) Get there super-early. Two hours if you're checking luggage. Four if you're flying with AirTran. :( The pre-9/11 time requirements for checking in and getting through security are totally irrelevant now. Put all your metal items (change, watch, etc) in your carry-on before you approach the metal detectors so you can walk right through. Put everything liquid in your checked luggage (I no-kidding got my eyedrops and lip gloss confiscated). Carry on your interview suit so it doesn't get lost in the checked luggage.

2) Wear solid shoes and imagine yourself planting them in the face of anybody who tries anything. ;)

I had to fly 3 days after the UK incident. I'm being 100% honest when I say it never even crossed my mind when I was sitting in the plane. Was reading my golf magazine the whole time.

Get there super-early. Two hours if you're checking luggage. Four if you're flying with AirTran. :( The pre-9/11 time requirements for checking in and getting through security are totally irrelevant now. Put all your metal items (change, watch, etc) in your carry-on before you approach the metal detectors so you can walk right through. Put everything liquid in your checked luggage (I no-kidding got my eyedrops and lip gloss confiscated). Carry on your interview suit so it doesn't get lost in the checked luggage.

I pretty much disagree. 3 days after the UK incident, it took me a whole 20 minutes to get to my terminal, AND I was put in the line where they were checking people hardcore. The week before in Atlanta, it took about ~30 minutes, and only because it was crowded. 2 hours is overkill.

simple: if it is your turn to die...it is your turn to die

I pretty much disagree. 3 days after the UK incident, it took me a whole 20 minutes to get to my terminal, AND I was put in the line where they were checking people hardcore. The week before in Atlanta, it took about ~30 minutes, and only because it was crowded. 2 hours is overkill.

It really should be. I think airports vary highly in their efficiency, and there are probably time-of-day factors as well. I've had times where I've gotten there 2 hours early, gotten through the whole process in 20-30 min, and felt like an idiot sitting in the terminal for the next hour and a half.

I've also had times that I got there an hour and a half before, and was literally sprinting to the gate.

Then there was two Sundays ago, when I stood in the AirTran check-in line for LITERALLY THREE HOURS!!! (I'd gotten there two hours early, so they put me on the next flight out.) I honestly don't know what I'm going to do next time i fly with them again.

So now I bring a book and go two hours early, and if I'm stuck waiting, well, I can study in the terminal.

simple: if it is your turn to die...it is your turn to die

I agree and disagree with this. Sometimes there's really nothing that you can do, but I don't believe in giving up and accepting fate. There's always something that can be done and you should always be proactive when it comes to your life.

I agree and disagree with this. Sometimes there's really nothing that you can do, but I don't believe in giving up and accepting fate. There's always something that can be done and you should always be proactive when it comes to your life.

Yes, same here. It actually makes me kind of mad when people say "Well, it was his/her turn to go", in times when someone gets killed by a drunk driver, or murdered, etc.
Because I keep thinking, is it really that mother-of-three's time to go, or that 2yo boy's time to go? I don't think so. It wasn't their turn to go, someone else made it their turn to go. These things happen, but people saying it was meant to be sounds to me like saying there's nothing that can be done about anything.

Yes, same here. It actually makes me kind of mad when people say "Well, it was his/her turn to go", in times when someone gets killed by a drunk driver, or murdered, etc.
Because I keep thinking, is it really that mother-of-three's time to go, or that 2yo boy's time to go? I don't think so. It wasn't their turn to go, someone else made it their turn to go. These things happen, but people saying it was meant to be sounds to me like saying there's nothing that can be done about anything.

actually it would be their time to go.....are you an expert at how long each person is supposed to get before they die? no your not.....so saying it was there time is more likely what had happed because lets face it the bit the dust...

actually it would be their time to go.....are you an expert at how long each person is supposed to get before they die? no your not.....so saying it was there time is more likely what had happed because lets face it the bit the dust...

No, but it bugs me that people try to find an explanation for everything, whether good or bad. If God answers your prayers God is good, if God doesn't answer it's because it's best for you, so either way, answered or unanswered, it's explained. (Don't get me wrong, i'm not against God or anything, I'm using this as an example).

Life isn't fair, deal with it. Don't come up with excuses for what happens, because at the end, no one really knows (HOW DO YOU KNOW IF IT WAS OR WASN'T THEIR TIME TO GO? That was my point)

Everyone gets 90 years. I talked with HIM about it. Anything before and it wasn't their time, after that they're blessed. Yes, I have just blasphemed. :laugh:

LOL, nothing is going to happen, just sit back and enjoy your flight.

Hmm. I think people say everything happens for a reason when they have no other explanation for what's going on in their lives. I don't think **** happens for a reason, I think **** just happens. We make decisions everyday, and they affect other people. That's it. If you had decided not to drive drunk, or to at least take measure to prevent yourself from doing so unwittingly, that mother of two may have lived another week, year, decade.

So, if someone decides to hijack a plane, I may have to decide to plant my foot up his ass. No one decides when I die if I have anything to say about it.

*cue "The Final Countdown" by Europe and crazy lazer show*

Yeah, I've been on a plane 4 times from Miami to Phila in the last few months, and nothing's happened. The worst thing was a huge delay, but that isn't so bad as long as the plane makes it from A to B in one piece.

I fly all the time (more than round trips a month) and I think you shouldn't worry too much. It is statistically safer. Also since hijackers are people you can try to resist, at least you have a shot. On the highway if some drunk driver goes in the wrong direction and slams into you, you won't even have that.

ok so give an example

I second this, in my experience almost all airports have reasonable wait times. The security part has been pretty quick for me in every major airport since a couple of months after 9/11 and it has remained that way since the UK liquids scare. I'm not sure about UK waits though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, even if your checking luggage, don't wait in the real ticket counter line. Use an automated kiosk or curbside check in. If you aren't checking luggage use online check in and go directly through security. If flying southwest use online check in regardless since it will get you a more favorable boarding group.

One simple rule: GOMERS AND GOMERES DONT DIE...YOUNG PEOPLE DO!!!!;) :p

It really should be. I think airports vary highly in their efficiency, and there are probably time-of-day factors as well. I've had times where I've gotten there 2 hours early, gotten through the whole process in 20-30 min, and felt like an idiot sitting in the terminal for the next hour and a half.

I've also had times that I got there an hour and a half before, and was literally sprinting to the gate.

Then there was two Sundays ago, when I stood in the AirTran check-in line for LITERALLY THREE HOURS!!! (I'd gotten there two hours early, so they put me on the next flight out.) I honestly don't know what I'm going to do next time i fly with them again.

So now I bring a book and go two hours early, and if I'm stuck waiting, well, I can study in the terminal.

I think most of the time you are most likely not getting tied up by TSA security, but rather by ticket agent lines, am I right? See my above post for how I try to avoid that, because ticket agents are in my experience the slowest part of the process. That's why I do go early for international flights, because I am forced to deal with them.

ok so give an example

United flight 93 is the first example that comes to mind and it fits into the theme of this thread. I know how it turned out and I'm not referring to that. What I'm saying is that apparently, the people on board weren't going to let some terroists decide their fate and they took action and retook the plane.

United flight 93 is the first example that comes to mind and it fits into the theme of this thread. I know how it turned out and I'm not referring to that. What I'm saying is that apparently, the people on board weren't going to let some terroists decide their fate and they took action and retook the plane.

THEY STILL DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch the movie Final Destination (or one of the equally bad sequels) about folks who cheat death and avoid being in an airline disaster only to have death hunt them down and get them in various other macabre ways, because it was their time to go. Very on point. And creepy.

Well, if that's how we're doing it, then watch the movie Casper and learn how to bring back their ghosts. :rolleyes:

If you think you'd feel better having a window seat or an aisle (either so you can see out and reassure yourself all's well OR so you can avoid having to look out), make sure you request such a seat.

I disagree with the suggestion to carry everything on board. Security is a hassle as it is--why make it worse with a suitcase that has to be searched meticulously? I do think you should bring your suit onboard with you (they have little closets up front), but check the rest--if they lose your bag, it's fairly easy to replace all the rest of the stuff. And bring a SMALL tote with any documents/meds you need and something to keep yourself entertained (your application and an interview-tips book if you're obsessive, your ipod if you'd rather forget about the interview!).

Getting through security: wear shoes that come off easily, and also be prepared to remove your outer layer (coat, blazer, sweater, whatever) if you're wearing something like that over your shirt.

Flying is not fun, IMO, but neither is it something to be worried about doing.

And stopped the terrorists from taking thousands of innocent people with them... if you're going to die, that's how to do it.

I know they died, but they still got up and fought. That was my point. They didn't die when some ****er flew into a building, they retook the plane and that it the point that I am focusing on. Another example: Contractor got taken hostage in Iraq. He learned when the guards were doing their "rounds" and made sure that he was praying and looking at his family's photo whenever they were around. They sheik took pity on because of his devotion to his family and to his God and didn't kill him.
I realize that sometimes there isn't anything that can be done, but I am going to do everything in my power to stop that situation.

I just fly my own plane and don't have to worry about hijackers. "Wheels up on my schedule". Learning to fly is very cost effective. It was also a good "ice breaker" during my interviews. :D

njbmd

I just fly my own plane and don't have to worry about hijackers. "Wheels up on my schedule". Learning to fly is very cost effective. It was also a good "ice breaker" during my interviews. :D

njbmd
It's also, statistically, the least safe way to fly, unfortunately.

njbmd

What sort of weather limitations do you have to deal with?

I know they died, but they still got up and fought. That was my point. They didn't die when some ****er flew into a building, they retook the plane and that it the point that I am focusing on. Another example: Contractor got taken hostage in Iraq. He learned when the guards were doing their "rounds" and made sure that he was praying and looking at his family's photo whenever they were around. They sheik took pity on because of his devotion to his family and to his God and didn't kill him.
I realize that sometimes there isn't anything that can be done, but I am going to do everything in my power to stop that situation.

In that case they did not have to accept what was happening...but the outcome was the same...it is the outcome that is most important...they prevented more mass casualties but did not survive themselves...thus it was their turn to die and maybe it was not time for whoever was in the Whitehouse or on Capitol Hill at the time

In that case they did not have to accept what was happening...but the outcome was the same...it is the outcome that is most important...they prevented more mass casualties but did not survive themselves...thus it was their turn to die and maybe it was not time for whoever was in the Whitehouse or on Capitol Hill at the time

So are you just along for the ride? Will you accept whatever happens in life as what is meant to happen? Then why even work to get into medical school, if you are "meant" to get in, you will?

I think fatalism is an unpleasant way to live. Outcomes are within our control to some extent and we just need to have it in us to reach out and seize the best one.

Hmm I'd like to hear more about this online check in. I am not checking anything so it might be a good way for me to speed up the process. When/How is it done? I usually use the curbside check in but now i don't have luggage....

Oh and most airlines charge 2-3 dollars per bag on the curbside check in. Come prepared. My dad only had a 20 last time but luckily I, the broke college student, had singles and fives ;)