anyone concerned about no PPE during a pandemic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard Walmart is going to have plexiglass screens installed

Drive-thru only works when you have window. The tube system is garbage.

Members don't see this ad.

Also LOL @ having a 6 AM thing for seniors at Walmart

We also have ****** FQHCs writing for chloroquine (which is also on B/O). Stupidity reigns

Losing a job at this point would suck, but losing my life could be worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard Walmart is going to have plexiglass screens installed

Drive-thru only works when you have window. The tube system is garbage.

awesome, if im not on a ventilator by then.....

I feel the same way. There is no way that pharmacist who put up that plastic screen had permission. Sometimes you just have to do what you think is right.

I see a lot of pharmacists on Facebook complaining that the pharmacy should be drive thru only. If Restaurants are drive thru or carry out only it makes sense. So why not just do it then? Why wait for a corporate directive to do what’s right?

First time i think we agree owl, but someone will say something, and since i asked to put it in place until we get "sneeze shields" already, i would probably get fired.....right now i cannot relocate back to FL....not during a pandemic...thankfully i scheduled tons of PTO through june....exhausted it. Hopefully i can tough it out safe and see where this goes. I've got hydroxychloroquine and Z-paks on standby for me and the wife, took care of my family and friends too.... beyond that... i dunno.

Get this, the regional DM manual ordered 1000 masks a few weeks ago right? just plain surgical masks from china! lol... so they come in....my OTC manager brings them to me, says keep an eye on them so no one steals them. they were planning to sell them. they come in a 4-pack for 9.98$. Holy S**t......i lost my cool.... i said hey can i store use 200 for the team here in pharmacy? all of the sudden they claimed they did not know why the masks came in and who they were for and secured them in the office int he back. They truly do not give a S**t.......dis-allowed from putting up plastic sheeting over the windows as well.....My concern is not so much contracting the virus, but the sheer lack of concern on behalf of the company. Now is the time to pull out all the stops and slow the spread....fresh ideas , anything ya know? not closed doors, and them selling masks for crazy high profit before offering some to the pharmacy team. My gut says walk out fast..... they gonna get people killed. what do the higher ups care? they are not the ones dealing with this day in and day out at store level.

Reactions: 1 user
Just more evidence of Walmart being sclerotic. I've seen plexiglass at CVS inside Target and Costco, even the Costco food court. They have yet to roll those out in my area

The only good thing about recent trends is drop off volume has died due to people not being stupid enough to hit the ED for primary care and the pharmacy closing at 7 PM. Gives managers some flexibility as techs and other support dip. That's just a prelude to keeping closing hrs at 7 PM regardless of what happens with shelter in place/social distancing directives

Today, they decided suddenly they would "donate" the masks and let me store use 100 of the 1000. The rest go to some children's hospital , police responders....etc. You know why ? they realized as they were packing out 4 count bundles of masks (already priced at 9.98 per 4!) that they would look like total s**tbags while emergency rooms all over the country are dying for PPE......literally. I know for a fact they placed this manual order several weeks ago with the intention of making a LARGE profit off of it.....they have other stuff coming too, purell...gloves....etc... lets see where that goes, cuz we could use em...would have been BAD publicity...was done by the regional on the GM side, what a bitch she is....everyone hates her.

Just more evidence of Walmart being sclerotic. I've seen plexiglass at CVS inside Target and Costco, even the Costco food court. They have yet to roll those out in my area

The only good thing about recent trends is drop off volume has died due to people not being stupid enough to hit the ED for primary care and the pharmacy closing at 7 PM. Gives managers some flexibility as techs and other support dip. That's just a prelude to keeping closing hrs at 7 PM regardless of what happens with shelter in place/social distancing directives

I was thinking that very thing, and yeah my business has dipped down last few days. prob due to shelter in place , but who knows how this will play out for us? No way this is just gonna go away by mid April, we are all bright people here, and you dont have to be an epidemiologist to even know whats coming..you have 2 options with a viral spread

1) identify and immediately remove the infected person from society (failing miserably due to not having 380 million tests and other reasons)
2) Total lock down and quarantine until it passes (cant realistically be done in America)

if you cant meet the above steps there is only one possible outcome. Continued Viral Spread and of course......PANIC.....

What kind of premium did you pay for those?

N95 aren't available from McKesson (obv)

Disposable masks have diminished barrier effect once they're saturated with moisture from your breath.

We get a lot of geniuses who manage to get blood and probably fecal matter on their willy wonka Norco scripts from the ED.

i bought 100 surgical masks for 150 on amazon a few weeks ago. Better than nothing....the team appreciated it.

I was thinking that very thing, and yeah my business has dipped down last few days. prob due to shelter in place , but who knows how this will play out for us? No way this is just gonna go away by mid April, we are all bright people here, and you dont have to be an epidemiologist to even know whats coming..you have 2 options with a viral spread

1) identify and immediately remove the infected person from society (failing miserably due to not having 380 million tests and other reasons)
2) Total lock down and quarantine until it passes (cant realistically be done in America)

if you cant meet the above steps there is only one possible outcome. Continued Viral Spread and of course......PANIC.....

Based on this nice visualization tool, peak health care resource utilization is projected to occur from the 2nd week of April to May, depending on state : IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Of course the virus isn't going to go away but Trump prob counting on massive QE to prop up the FAF financial markets plus widespread herd immunity being established before the election (Trump is totally ****ed if there's a 2nd wave later in the year)

Does Walmart supply sinks with soap to wash your hands? Hand sanitizer? Because that is the extent of the recommended precautions currently.
What @owlegrad said. What do you need face masks for?
ummmm... because this is an airborne virus and we are front line community workers facing community spread? fairly straightforward ......

Re-reading posts from only 9-10 months ago makes me think what an attitude change in American society came about this year.

It boggles my mind trying to understand what the CDC was thinking when putting out their initial "mask isn't necessary unless you're coughing or a caregiver" recommendation. I'm of the opinion this shouldn't have even been up for debate even back in early March. It's hard to understand why CDC didn't take the approach of: if you're not sure, recommend the conservative option - better safe than sorry. We were already receiving enough information from Asian countries who went through SARS and MERS years ago that mask use is essential, and seeing that it was working for COVID-19 again.

I'm lead to 2 conclusions:

1) They knew masks would help, but didn't give this message to the public for fear of hoarding. If this is true, I believe it's a huge disservice to the public. Be transparent and let people know the supply situation, but don't resort to propagating the higher public risk alternative as an assumption. Almost a year later, some people are still skeptical of mask efficacy - probably because of influence from the initial message.

2) They ignored the recommendations of countries who had prior experience with coronavirus epidemics and developed effective mask-wearing protocols as part of a management system, Maybe they needed more time for "irrefutable evidence" or a more dire situation before re-inventing the wheel and making a recommendation similar to that which was already in place and effective in another part of the world. If this is the case, taking the less conservative approach early on simply had consequences.

I realize some of this might prompt a "hindsight is 20/20" response, but I thought it was pretty obvious from as early as February that a mask recommendation would really help in controlling this before it goes wild. Walking around Manhattan, it's apparent that quite a few other people thought so too but at that time there was still risk of hostility to people wearing masks in public (incidents where masked Asian-American women were assaulted and harassed on the subway or street).

From this year, I really hope some policy changes take place at the highest level of disease control in the US - such as more transparency and an awareness that our health policies are not always the best in the world...and it pays to look into what the rest of the world is doing because some of it might be more advanced.

Last edited:
I agree with these conclusions. That's also why I said some months back that 4-6 weeks of real shut down would have been a lot better than months of this let's do enough to slow it down strategy. That's how we get to 15 million cases.