Anyone concerned about your OB/Gyn rotations already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exmike

NOR * CAL
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was sitting in bed last night thinking about my ob/gyn rotation three years from now. You know how the babies are all covered with juice and goop when they come out? I know they eventually make the med students deliver the babies. Are any of you afraid the baby will slip out of your hands like a wet noodle and fall on the ground? The thought really scares me. It must happen from time to time right?

Members don't see this ad.

One of our GYN lecturers joked that we should fake a seizure if we drop a baby.

Seriously, though, it doesn't happen often. Some docs use towels around the baby when they're delivering so that they have a better hold. We were told to basically grab the baby at the back of the neck & then flip them over.

Originally posted by DrMom
One of our GYN lecturers joked that we should fake a seizure if we drop a baby.

Seriously, though, it doesn't happen often. Some docs use towels around the baby when they're delivering so that they have a better hold. We were told to basically grab the baby at the back of the neck & then flip them over.

that sounds violent....i guess i should work on my neck grab and flip...:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
you gotta get your body under the baby and make sure you look it all the way in. last, make sure you use two hands. no room for hotdogs on thefield.

You gotta really get in there, kinda like a quarterback. Hike!

Someone told me that once in the delivery room he saw a med student drop a baby after birth. The dad even caught the whole thing on tape. :wow:

hmm.. I never noticed that the babies were slippery most of the time at least not during NSVD's. I never got to deliver a baby without a resident making sure my hands were steady (they are terrified of lawsuits), and most of the female residents wouldn't let me do anything except deliver the placenta. OB/GYN was a fun rotation, although the q3 call and a few cranky residents were the downfall of my rotation.

Originally posted by exmike
I was sitting in bed last night thinking about my ob/gyn rotation three years from now. You know how the babies are all covered with juice and goop when they come out? I know they eventually make the med students deliver the babies. Are any of you afraid the baby will slip out of your hands like a wet noodle and fall on the ground? The thought really scares me. It must happen from time to time right?

You're forgetting the umbilical cord. :)

Seriously, though, everyone makes damn sure to hold on tight. You're using both hands, and they'll teach you the proper technique.

I'm gonna body slam the new borns, and give them the stone cold stunner.

Originally posted by danwsu
Someone told me that once in the delivery room he saw a med student drop a baby after birth. The dad even caught the whole thing on tape. :wow:

and any damage?? i would think something would have went wrong...

I'm afraid of my obgyn rotation, but for different reasons. Every 4th year I've asked about it has said that obgyn has been their least favorite rotation. A combination of the hours and the patients and atmosphere.

Originally posted by smuwillobrien
I'm gonna body slam the new borns, and give them the stone cold stunner.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

my dad was in the delivery room watching, and said that i got "squirted" out from the doctor's hands cause she was squeezing/holding on too tight.... luckily she recovered by catching me mid-air before i hit the ground.

*phew*:p

Originally posted by meanderson
I'm afraid of my obgyn rotation, but for different reasons. Every 4th year I've asked about it has said that obgyn has been their least favorite rotation. A combination of the hours and the patients and atmosphere.

well you wouldnt be the most cheerful person either with a big head squeezing through your cervix... :p
and babies dont break for lunch!

delivering babies 99.9% of the time is easy. remember, women did this for thousands of years without medical students and did fine. they aren't slippery, and are quite resilient little buggers. jsut remember to 1) free up the cord if it's around their neck 2) suction the nose when it's delivered 3) push the baby down a bit to get the anterior shoulder under the pubic rami 4) pull up a bit to free the posterior shoulder and 5) let mom have the baby-- as cool as it is, it's not yours ;)

if you're not delivering and assisting someone, make sure to cut BETWEEN the clamps-- and if you screw up, screw up by cutting on the placental side of the cord *not* the baby!! :laugh:

when delivering the placenta (a medical student job if there ever was one) give only slight traction (some attending won't want any traction for awhile) and have mom push a few times to deliver it. if it's dull, it's a duncan, if it's shiny, it a schultz. toss it in the bucket for the poor pathologist to look at later.

there. that's all my practical OB knowledge. profound, i know :)

yeah, the hours suck. but it's only a month or so. :)

Man, I'll tell you what. I delivered a baby down in Guatemala last year, and damn straight, it was a slippery, gooey mess. But I tell you, without sounding too cheesy, its some magical ****. And I really think that it is hardwired into our brains at some primitive level not to drop the little guys. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, here's the graphic detail:
As long as its not a crazy breach birth, you'll get the crowning, when the head just pokes out. This part is really up to the Mom. Out the little guy will come, and you kind of guide the head up toward your elbow, supporting the length of the body along your forearm. With your other hand you hold him/her there. Then when there out, go Deion Sanders style. Tuck the kiddo up against your body like a football. The nurses will do the rest, they're better at it anyway.
It is undoubtably one of the the coolest, most memorable things you'll ever do. It's like seeing Everest or chilling with the Pope or walking on the Moon.
It'll also make you glad you're a guy-Sorry ladies.

Originally posted by jlee9531
and any damage?? i would think something would have went wrong...

He didn't say anything about damage so I assemed there is none. At least not yet anyway.

Not to mention ORPD (OB/GYN Resident Personality Disorder).

Ed