anyone considering changing their major?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by sloneczko, Jan 30, 2002.

1. sloneczko

sloneczko Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am wondering if I still want to do medicine anymore. I'm basically almost finished with my biology undergraduate degree (only 15 more credits left to go) and I am wondering whether i should continue into medical school or not. I am in a combined degree program (BS/MD), but after going through one of those, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone regardless of whether they are sure they want to do medicine or not! Anyone in the same situation? I'm considering getting a second major in an international affairs discipline with a minor in Russian language since i have some russian under my belt. Any comments are welcome!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Voxel

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

The real question is what you want out of life. Do you want to be a doctor? Or is the program accelerated, so that you do not have time to enjoy college? What's really behind this motive, fatigue, change of heart, not being able to must the will to work hard,etc?. I knew someone in a combined BS/MD program who dropped out thinking she didn't want to be a doctor and then a few months later regretted this decision. Then her grades weren't so stellar, she couldn't get into an allopathic school. Had to go the DO route. My advice is to do some soul searching and think about this very very carefully and have a concrete alternative game plan before you drop out.

4. ACY38

ACY38 New Member

I am very interested in the reason why you want to get out of the BS/MD program as well? Is it that you find the accelerated pace too much to handle or you just simply change your mind about medicine? Your sharing of experience is highly appreciated!