Anyone considering Iowa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalala21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I'm an out-of-stater considering University of Iowa. Does anyone know about the school? It was hard to get an impression of the area and the students during the interview day (very short tour/lunch) so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Congratulations!!! Here is a bit from Iowa's site--it's the "Admitted Student" section. They have the student handbook which has a lot of basic information about classes ect.

As for the school, to me, it seems very very primary care oriented. If you look at the residency match list, you'll see that a good number of grad's go into Family Practice, Ped's, and Internal med. (However, I do understand that Ped's and Med. residencies dont always mean prim. care--they could go do a fellowship to specialize.)

http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/osac/admissions/adms_student.htm

Also, if you're interested in going back, Iowa has a 2nd look day April 17--goto "Get Acquainted Day" from the page linked above.

What other schools are you thinking about?

Thanks for the links!

I am also considering University of Virginia (also out of state). I do want to go into internal medicine, and both schools seem strong in that department. I'm waiting to hear from a few other schools post-interview, but right now it's either Iowa or Virginia.

Hey- I'm on the out-of-state waitlist at Iowa. Anyone have any idea how much the list usually moves???? I have no idea if I have any chance of getting a seat.