anyone considering retake MCAT in April?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roo425

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.
I need your advice.
I'm an Aug MCATer and applied most of UC schools, some OOS schools, and a few private schools. My GPA is good (~3.9) and MCAT improved a lot (25 Apr 05 -> 31 Aug 05). Yes, I knew I applied late but didn't have much choice. Well, I submitted AMCAS in June but had to wait until late Oct~late Nov. to be completed. So far I got one inverview from VCU in Jan and on hold for interview at UCSD. And I haven't heard anything from the other 13 schools! I think I have a good LOR's and average EC's. It looks like my MCAT is a little bit weak for most of UC schools.
If you were me, would you retake MCAT just in case I have to apply again next year? My top choices are UC schools, preferably UCSD and UCLA. I was pretty lucky in Aug. MCAT but don't feel that was my best. I estimate that I can bring up 3~4 points if I take again. (of course, no garauntee.) What would you advise me? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

roo425 said:
Hi, all.
I need your advice.
I'm an Aug MCATer and applied most of UC schools, some OOS schools, and a few private schools. My GPA is good (~3.9) and MCAT improved a lot (25 Apr 05 -> 31 Aug 05). Yes, I knew I applied late but didn't have much choice. Well, I submitted AMCAS in June but had to wait until late Oct~late Nov. to be completed. So far I got one inverview from VCU in Jan and on hold for interview at UCSD. And I haven't heard anything from the other 13 schools! I think I have a good LOR's and average EC's. It looks like my MCAT is a little bit weak for most of UC schools.
If you were me, would you retake MCAT just in case I have to apply again next year? My top choices are UC schools, preferably UCSD and UCLA. I was pretty lucky in Aug. MCAT but don't feel that was my best. I estimate that I can bring up 3~4 points if I take again. (of course, no garauntee.) What would you advise me? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

that will be the 3rd time you took the mcat.. I don't know how schools feel about that.. i was told that schools don't like to see multiple mcat scores.... but i could be very very wrong, feel free to correct me

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters, I probably wouldn't take it again as I don't think that is your limiting factor. CA schools have hundreds (ok, thousands) of applicants with good stats, they look at other parts of the application once you have the numbers (which you do). CA schools are kind of slow in the whole process, so you still have a lot of potential for this application cycle. If you end up not getting in, I would apply early next year (primary & secondary), and really put your all into your application. Do you have something that makes you stand out? Meaningful experiences that show your passion? Do you have great LOR? All those are essential to compliment academic achievements to get into a CA school. In addition, I would apply more broadly (ie, to a wide range of OOS) because there's no guarentees in this game. Keep your chin up for this year though, still plenty of time!

Thank you all who provided me very helpful advice. My thought was what would make me stand out. I thought I was one of extreme non-traditional, post-bac students. I came to America to study music at The Juiiliard, got married after my masters', worked as a piano teacher for two years, have two kids, and started pre-med courses. I have volunteered at ER for 2 years, as hospice for 1 1/2 years so far, a couple of leadership experiecne, two semesters of research experience. I know I haven't published anything nor any honors due to my status. I think I have much more life experience than other college students but it doesn't seem to be helpful that much. Anyhow, I will take your advice seriouly and try to find a better way to improve my application. Also I will try to stay more positive throughout the rest of the process. Thank you so much.

i totally agree with the others.i have 30Q and GPA of about 3.64 from UCLA. I also applied to UCs and still not heard back post-secondary apart from UCI that put me on hold. ANyways, i am still waiting but i have 4 interviews from good schools OOS and 1 from USC. In other words,dont give uo yet, there is more to the package than MCATs. Cos for reals, that was a torture i cannot go through one more time