1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

anyone consumed with the process that you're MESSING up in class

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jmejia1, Nov 4, 2001.

1. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm considering dropping a course since I'm not dedicating as much attention or time to my classes as I use to. I'm so obsessed with this application process that for the very first time I scored below the average in one of my classes. Usually I am one of the top grades, but I just can't seem to get into the study mode or I'll just start daydreaming in class about medical school, MCAT scores, interviews and so forth.

Anyone know what I mean?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Totally, same problem here.

4. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper
    7+ Year Member

Yep! I only have two classes, though, so my main worry is work. Will I get fired!?! Hope not! :D

5. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, I know the feeling. I'm no longer motivated for my undergrad work, all my science requirements are finished. I'm taking a lot of gen ed. classes, and I'm not having much fun.

Mossjoh

6. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

It's always re-assuring that whenever I have a problem, worry or the like, someone on SDN posts on the topic.

I dropped my first class Friday. The class was Intermediate Analysis I. This purely theoretical 4 credit math course was quite interesting, but like a high-maintenance girlfriend, was a little too much for me too handle right now. Just how bad was I doing? I came out of the first test with that 'slaying a dragon' feel you get after a rough test thinking I got a 80-90. Tests are returned the next week and I get a whopping 56. So I give myself more time to study for the second test and this time I come out feeling like a kid left in a carnival long after the gates have closed.. lost and hopeless. Needless to say, there was no passing this class in sight without some serious reprucussions on my free time and other classes.

Looks like I'll take vector calc instead next semester. And I thought I was gonna have a chill last semester.

7. Tone2002

Tone2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    UMMMM... Folks just make sure that you graduate.

8. teapot16

teapot16 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I feel ya guys! I've been accepted but I'm still worried that I dont get in becasue I'm close to failing a two credit class. The med school said I can't get under a C and I'm working hard to get it. Never got a C before but dont care as long as I keep my acceptance.

9. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I hear ya baby! I'm doing fine in my other classes, but until last Thursday I was FAILING Mammalogy. I studied my ass off for the lecture midterm though, and I think I did well enough to pull my average up to a C! (i'm failing the lab portion still, but the two are averaged). Can you believe it? EEP!

10. coop

coop Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

same boat here,
    i'm stuggling to pull a class up from a C-, I don't want to put an acceptance in jeopardy and i'd drop the class in a second if i didn't need another english class to graduate, anyways, good to hear we're all on the same page (they can't remvoke ALL the acceptances, right?)

11. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I withdrew from a Cell Bio class that I had sorely neglected due to all the med school excitement. I got a 48 on the one and only midterm!!! This is from an already accepted med student to be! The crappy part is I was supposed to graduate in a month...no more! Now I graduate in March. Yes sir I screwed up. A bit of a humbling experience that I am trying to be philosophical about. Glad to hear I am not alone among those former high achievers struggling not to slack. It's important to actually graduate before matriculating to med school!

12. Ohiobuddhist

Ohiobuddhist Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, I'm not exactly going to fail out, but I have definitely been receiving grades that are lower than usual. I am having big time motivation problems. Once you're in, it's like undergrad doesn't really matter anymore. But, I suppose I need to keep my head slightly above water.

13. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Yeah I'm in the same situation as you guys. I had to get a WP in my pchem class (due to absences for med school interviews) even though I had a very strong A average thru 4 tests. Now I dont get to get my chem minor anymore :mad:

The bad part is that the pchem class was really my only strong grade at this point. I'm struggling to make Cs in the rest of my classes, and its going to bump me from magna cum laude to just cum laude probably. I've never gotten a C before, but I'll take Cs in every one of my classes in exchange for acceptances.

I just hope Cs are good enough, and that the med schools wont think about rescinding my acceptance.

14. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Same here... had to drop stat mech so I'm only taking three classes plus my thesis. I'll have to make this class up next semester which means five courses plus thesis... not fun at all.

15. serpiente

serpiente Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Unless you guys have actually been accepted by a medical school, now is not the time to slack. God forbid, you don't get in this time around, you don't want bad grades on your record when you're reapplying. Just try to stay motivated. Also some of you may be trying for certain graduation honors etc. Dont let all your hard work for the past four years go to waste by blowing off a few classes senior year.