tryp

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I have a one semester gap in my academic record where I withdrew from almost all my classes because I was sick. How specific should I be when explaining this gap in interviews? Would it be helpful to have a note?

Last edited:

startswithb

Future Urologist
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The stigma would be that they worry you can't deal with the pressure. So....don't give them reason to believe that.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
It's fine. If you can maintain the grades and do well mental illness or not you'll be accepted. You'll just need to explain the academic gap because It's more then likely going to come up in the interview, I don't think that you'll need to do bring a note. It's not high school, they will more then likely take it at face value because your disclosing something of such a nature.

Dec 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
this is not something you want to ask premeds or med students really. Most of us have no experience with how this is handled in admissions or what the do's and dont's are. I would post in confidential consult or something like that where you can talk to someone with more experience and still maintain some anonymity.

Suenya

Hail Eris
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2008
Status
Non-Student
I think it would rather strongly depend on the type of mental illness. If you missed a semester due to a first break I think the response would be different from if you missed it due to a problem with depression or anxiety that is now well controlled.

chman

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
this is not something you want to ask premeds or med students really. Most of us have no experience with how this is handled in admissions or what the do's and dont's are. I would post in confidential consult or something like that where you can talk to someone with more experience and still maintain some anonymity.
This.

It also depends on how severe it is/was, if you have had treatment for it, and what kind it was/is.

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
L.A.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Just say you were absent from a semester due to medical reasons. They can't ask any further questions. I pretty sure it would be illegal. You don't need to give any specifics. The specifics are none of their business.

D

da8s0859q

this is not something you want to ask premeds or med students really. Most of us have no experience with how this is handled in admissions or what the do's and dont's are.
This.

Of course, I do agree that there is still a stigma attached to "mental illness" (though I don't know what it is to which you're referring, of course), so I think you'd do well to try and not make that a major part of your application/interview.