80B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
Does anyone have anything to say to tip the scale either way. The obvious reasons are UPenn's reputation :D vs Marylands brand new, state of the art facilities :D . Beside those reasons, can anyone offer any input?

Peter North

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
80B said:
Does anyone have anything to say to tip the scale either way. The obvious reasons are UPenn's reputation :D vs Marylands brand new, state of the art facilities :D . Beside those reasons, can anyone offer any input?
I'm in the same boat as you with these schools but also considering NJ and I'm making no progress on deciding.

pastor's wife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
Peter North said:
I'm in the same boat as you with these schools but also considering NJ and I'm making no progress on deciding.
we are all in the same boat!
for me, a new facility isn't that big of a deal!
the issue is more of $ and the possibility to specialize.
$--> umdnj
specializing--> penn
clinical experiences??? --> i don't know

but maryland didn't impress me that much!

About the Ads

80B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
If UPenn had Maryland's brand new building, it would be an easy choice for me. I'm just not too thrilled about spending my first two years in UPenn's dungeonesque basement.

UMB's new building has video-recorded lectures that they say will be able to be accessed remotely, which could come in handy. Its technology like that which could make the whole experience a little easier. Also with the new building comes a bright and uplifting visual environment, which can play a big role in the way you feel.

UMB is probably $6-7k less per year than UPenn (for non-maryland res.) which isnt quite enough money to make it a big factor in my decision.

I just wish I really knew what UPenn could offer me that UMB can't...

Richnator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
80B said:
If UPenn had Maryland's brand new building, it would be an easy choice for me. I'm just not too thrilled about spending my first two years in UPenn's dungeonesque basement.

UMB's new building has video-recorded lectures that they say will be able to be accessed remotely, which could come in handy. Its technology like that which could make the whole experience a little easier. Also with the new building comes a bright and uplifting visual environment, which can play a big role in the way you feel.

UMB is probably $6-7k less per year than UPenn (for non-maryland res.) which isnt quite enough money to make it a big factor in my decision.

I just wish I really knew what UPenn could offer me that UMB can't...
UMB all the way!! Great faculty and a new kickass building. I loved the school at first sight. However, U Penn is a great school too, so I can imagine the difficulty of your decision. Fortunately for me, my heart was set for Maryland from day 1 of application to dental schools.

Best of wishes and good luck in whatever school you choose,
Rich

sunphish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2005
Hometown: Rochester, New York. Current location: G
Status
Pre-Dental
Does anyone know what Maryland's cost each year for out of staters would be? I am trying to decide if I should go to the interview or not since I already got into Pitt which was my top choice. Pitt's price tag is really high though, and even though it's on the cutting edge of technology, I am very curious to see Maryland's new building and resources. If the price at UMB is good too, I certainly will keep the interview.

Thanks!

dat_student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Weyburn Terrace :-)
Status
sunphish said:
Does anyone know what Maryland's cost each year for out of staters would be? I am trying to decide if I should go to the interview or not since I already got into Pitt which was my top choice. Pitt's price tag is really high though, and even though it's on the cutting edge of technology, I am very curious to see Maryland's new building and resources. If the price at UMB is good too, I certainly will keep the interview.

Thanks!
Both schools are good but I believe you should definitely see UMD before you make your final decision.

Peter North

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
sunphish said:

Thanks!
For out of state with all expenses they calculate between 64-69K a year. I would definately go to the interview there if only to see how much more superior the facilites at maryland are going to be. They really are impressive and I think when your spending as much time in a building as we will be in dental school it makes a big difference.

I definately agree with 80B that if Upenn had the facilites that Maryland has it wouldn't be much of a decision where to go. Upenns' basement, while possesing the impressive DentSims.. is.. well.....a basement.

About the Ads