Anyone deciding to attend a SUNY school over a private one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

It seems that Downstate and Stony Brook are the two schools that a lot of fellow SDN-ers have gotten into. For those of you who have accepted but are contemplating private schools, what are your thoughts in terms of how you will decide (i.e. cost vs. reputation etc). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

E'O1

im choosing a SUNY although I have not gotten final word from any privates. I liked NYMC but it would cost way too much. I am definately choosing Upstate regardless of what privates i get invites from (if i even do). I plan to defer my loans through residency, but even with interest it will be worth it. SUNY is too good a deal. I like Syracuse too, so that is a big part of it.

Good luck and go SUNY. It doesnt seem to me that going to a SUNY has a huge impact on residency, but then again i plan to go into primary care.

have a great year and BE EXCITED...i am.

Its a tough choice and will depend on the schools I get into and financials. I'm thinking specialization in residency and am thinking of being on the staff of a teaching hospital in the future so reputation does matter to me.

Between Einstein and Downstate I'm going to wait on the financial aid package. While I prefer Einstein (better location mostly), if the diff. in price is too great then I would go to Downstate. Also have to see ease of research at both schools. What are you thinking?

Members don't see this ad :)
E'O1-

While it isn't a SUNY school, I'm currently debating Einstein and Temple. The difference is 7K a year, which doesn't sound like too much compared to SUNY and a private, but over 4 years, it will be 28K. I'm really just going to need to sit down and think everything through.

-DK

are you guys leaning towards downstate if you're going to a SUNY? how do you think downstate and stonybrook compares?

Hey Kermit - congrats!

soren77 if I got into Stony Brook I would definitely go there over Stony Brook - but I've basically given up on them since my interview was back on October 26th. Doppl I share your feelings completely. I was talking to several doctors that I work with up at Mount Sinai and basically they all said - it DOES matter where you go for med school in terms of residency. So with that, I'll sport the extra $10K a year to go to Einstein - especially since I am thinking of CT surgery, teaching and research in the future.

E'01-

Thanks :) Didn't you interview at Sinai too? I'm about to give up hope on my remaining NY schools. They seem not to like me! Good luck making a decision, I know we still got a couple of months, but keep me posted.

-DK