Anyone deferring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ednamode

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you have or are planning on deferring med school for one year. If so, what are you doing and have med schools been willing to give you the time?

Members don't see this ad.

ednamode said:
I was just wondering if any of you have or are planning on deferring med school for one year. If so, what are you doing and have med schools been willing to give you the time?

I'm probably defer a year or, maybe, two. Doing what? I have no idea. I applied to the Peace Corps, but I'm not too sure if the school I go to will let me. But, I haven't asked yet. Just about every med student I talked to recommended it since once you start med school that's it for extended free time. I know some schools have an agreement with Teach for America to allow students to take that two-year deferment.

I know a lot of schools will encourage one-year deferments, but what about for two years? Anyone know?

If you mean you're applying, getting accepted, then deferring matriculation, you should check with schools, because some "highly discourage" it. (I'd look in the msar or on their websites). I was thinking of doing that, but my top choice schools basically said they'd only let you defer if there was some massive family or personal crisis that prevented you from matriculating. so check first just in case! As for taking a year off before med school, I definitely recommend it! :)