anyone do a lot worse than their nbme practice exams predicted?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by hippocampus, Jun 18, 2008.

1. hippocampus

hippocampus Senior Member

seems like there are more success stories on sdn than the opposite...
    which... i highly doubt is true...
    reveal yourselves!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wonderboy00

Medical Student
    yea i'm wondering the same thing.
    i'm pretty jaded because i did a lot worse on my actual mcat than my practice exams....did the same trend hold true for board takers? i hope not :scared:

4. boardsbandit524

Medical Student
    i too am interested....

5. HEADintheCLOUDS

Banned

Medical Student
    I am not really that interested.....

6. The Angriest Bird

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it can be well explained mathematically.

The biggest difference, numerically, between MCAT and Step 1 is that a "good score" for MCAT is 95% right, while that for Step 1 is only 75%.

Every seasoned student knows that a higher percentage score is less reproducible. That means it is much harder to be consistently 95% than to be consistently 75%. And it is nearly impossible to be consistently 100%. Common sense?

If you get 95% on an MCAT practice exam, you only need to blow a couple questions on the real thing to lower your total score by 2-3 points, which is major. However, if you get 75% on NBME 3, you may get some questions wrong on Step 1 which you thought you got right, but you would also get some questions right by accident. If you are well prepared, for most questions you have some idea but you are just not sure. The accidentally-correct and the accidentally-wrong balance each other out, and the final score doesn't change that much.

As for the overwhelming majority of success stories on this forum, I view it as a sampling error. People who come to this forum care about Step 1, and people who care about what they do usually do better than those who don't.

7. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    What about those of us that care and are STILL average?:eek:

Its definitely a sample error. I'm guessing it has more to do with who reports their scores and who doesn't on this forum. And also - this forum has attracted the extremely successful all along. It would especially make sense that those of us that stick around for years would be at the upper end of the spectrum (although that doesn't really explain me).

8. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    I think SDN also attracts those who are doing very poorly and need every little bit of help they can get, but those people just aren't going to post their scores.