Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Anyone do an away rotation that REALLY helped them match?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by blackberry13, Dec 31, 2008.

1. blackberry13

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am a US medical student from a decent medical school in chicago. My step 1 score was a 208, but I plan on improving that with a knockout step 2 score. I will have great psych LOR's and should have at least one publication. I am doing research with a very huge psychiatrist in chicago with whom I will do this research and get this publication which I should get to present at the next AACAP conference. Unfortunately, I got an advanced in my psych rotation due to a scheduling mistake which couldn't be changed. I am worried about my chances with a good psych program such as Stanford or UCSD...do you guys think an away is worth it and can really help? Please let me know your personal accounts and your advice on this issue. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. daru1

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    you definitely need to look at the newest survey posted on http://www.nrmp.org by program directors. It looks like for psych, away rotations aren't that big of a deal.

4. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Interesting--and you'll also notice that "second visit" interviews and post-interview contacts are even LESS of a big deal--and I know how much angst gets expressed here over those.

5. masterofmonkeys

masterofmonkeys Angy Old Man
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, that survey was definitely a cognitive anxiolytic for many I'm sure.