Anyone do realllly bad on a practice and improved?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAnne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the AAMC #4 and am too embarrassed to disclose what I got. Put it to you this way, was not better than these people's http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=626980.

I should've paced myself in verbal, which killed me. I missed a whole passage.

I've been studying for 2 months and I am feeling really crushed. I am scheduled to take it on May 31st. I need some hope please! Any success stories?

Members don't see this ad.

I just took the AAMC #4 and am too embarrassed to disclose what I got. Put it to you this way, was not better than these people's http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=626980.

I've been studying for 2 months and I am feeling really crushed. I am scheduled to take it on May 31st. I need some hope please! Any success stories?
It depends on what your goals are. Generally speaking, you should be scoring within 1 or 2 points of your ideal minimum a month out. If you're nowhere near your ideal minimum (-5 points or greater), it may be worth considering a re-schedule. Good luck!

is this your first exam?

if so, relax. relaaaaxxxx.

the first one is like testing the waters. my lowest scores were my first exam, as well as other students that i've stalked.

spot your errors and weaknesses, fix it up, do much better. don't worry :-3

Just keep at it. There is no "ideal" score you should be at 1 month out. Everyone is different. Put it to you this way - 2 weeks ago I got a 22 after 2 months of studying. I took one on Friday and got a 32.

Some days you are on and some you're off. That 22 served as a motivator for me to hit the areas I'd forgotten and switch up some styles. It is practice for a reason. If you don't score well just use all that panic energy for as an impetus for long sustained study.

Members don't see this ad :)
The people replying obviously did not read that thread. You got lower then a 11 and your test date is may 31st? Going to need some information. What are you using to study, because your content knowledge must be lacking. Your study method may be wrong for you.

You can improve, it's not impossible by a longshot. You're going to need more time and a new plan. What are you currently doing?

is this your first exam?

if so, relax. relaaaaxxxx.

the first one is like testing the waters. my lowest scores were my first exam, as well as other students that i've stalked.

spot your errors and weaknesses, fix it up, do much better. don't worry :-3

If you score under an 11 composite on your first test, then that means you don't get the material AT ALL.

You need to go back to the basics. Then use a study program that is passage based (i.e. tpr science workbook or TBR) and use that to practice. I think you should do about 2x the amount of passage practice as you do content review.

i disagree. i scored a 10 on my first exam in both sciences, and i've been scoring 11-13 on my sciences in recent exams. this is just because i just wasn't used to taking a full length exam. i've eliminated a lot of my mistakes after my first tests.

thats still higher then a 11. an 11 is like 3 4 4. The OP got LOWER then that. That shows that background knowledge is lacking. Plan of attack needs to be looked at again. Don't take the mcat until you KNOW you're ready or you will regret it, trust me.

thats still higher then a 11. an 11 is like 3 4 4. The OP got LOWER then that. That shows that background knowledge is lacking. Plan of attack needs to be looked at again. Don't take the mcat until you KNOW you're ready or you will regret it, trust me.

oh damn. i didn't realize it was an 11! lol

i didn't click that link >.>

yeah reschedule.

Okay for the record, it wasn't lower than an 11 but not much higher either. I've been using the SDN schedule. Obviously I need to study more. I am weak in PS big time. I found myself guessing and then when I did, I felt panicky about timing on top of being mentally drained from personal stuff (which shouldn't matter). And the verbal totally killed me. When I found myself repeating a sentence, I got anxious, then I missed a whole passage and had to guess random answers. I am only taking Orgo 2 lecture this semester so I just need to buckle down and get my concepts down. My final is on May 11 so maybe I can get it up. If I don't see improvement in the next weeks I don't think I can take it.

So bummed right now:(

Okay for the record, it wasn't lower than an 11 but not much higher either. I've been using the SDN schedule. Obviously I need to study more. I am weak in PS big time. I found myself guessing and then when I did, I felt panicky about timing on top of being mentally drained from personal stuff (which shouldn't matter). And the verbal totally killed me. When I found myself repeating a sentence, I got anxious, then I missed a whole passage and had to guess random answers. I am only taking Orgo 2 lecture this semester so I just need to buckle down and get my concepts down. My final is on May 11 so maybe I can get it up. If I don't see improvement in the next weeks I don't think I can take it.

So bummed right now:(

Be honest with yourself. You scored, what, a 14 or 15? And have less than a month until your mcat? Not only that, but you're still in school and have to focus on finals, so your studying is divided...

Reschedule your test right now till at least early-mid July if you plan on applying this cycle. This was you can get a seat if they aren't filled up already. If you aren't applying this cycle, then get a refund and study your butt off until you're more comfortable with the material.

Hm that's strange to me that you did so bad yet you are commiting so much time. Do you feel like you understand the material?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have to postpone your test. If you're that far from a 30 this close to the test idk how you'd bring it up. If you are trying to rush to apply this year, think about how a bad MCAT score would ruin that anyway. I don't think it's worth wasting more AAMC tests to realize that you aren't prepared. You should really audit your MCAT studying and figure out where your biggest weaknesses are. Then postpone the test, and tackle those weaknesses once your done with school.

Okay, I have been going over the exam today and I think I just seriously panicked. First off, I had a really bad emotional fight with my husband the day before (can't remember the last time we did fight like that) and we weren't talking, I have a cold so I took 1/2 the pseudoephedrine dosage which still made me anxious, and only had half a cup of coffee. But with all of that I found myself freezing up. There are a lot of questions that I would've gotten had I not been in such a crazed state. This actually makes me feel slightly better. I think my cold is going away so I think I should be okay to take #5 this weekend. Even with certain topics I am weak in, with process of elimination I definitely could've answered correctly. I think this was a good experience. I really have to amp up the stress levels when I am studying and be more focused.

As of now, I will keep the test date and see what happens next weekend. Man, I wouldn't mind trying out a Xanax. I'm definitely not having any coffee either.

No offense, but I think you're rationalizing your bad score. You should really think about pushing it back.

Okay, I have been going over the exam today and I think I just seriously panicked. First off, I had a really bad emotional fight with my husband the day before (can't remember the last time we did fight like that) and we weren't talking, I have a cold so I took 1/2 the pseudoephedrine dosage which still made me anxious, and only had half a cup of coffee. But with all of that I found myself freezing up. There are a lot of questions that I would've gotten had I not been in such a crazed state. This actually makes me feel slightly better. I think my cold is going away so I think I should be okay to take #5 this weekend. Even with certain topics I am weak in, with process of elimination I definitely could've answered correctly. I think this was a good experience. I really have to amp up the stress levels when I am studying and be more focused.

As of now, I will keep the test date and see what happens next weekend. Man, I wouldn't mind trying out a Xanax. I'm definitely not having any coffee either.

Ok, so if you are weak in PS you have to review hard, I would recommend Chad's videos--I was struggling (in the 5-6 range) and got it up to the 8-10 range..we'll see how my real MCAT goes...anyways work hard at it, you won't magically start doing better. Good luck:luck:

I seem to be posting this **** like, everywhere.

Ry0LL.png

This guy gives me hope. Panicking and test anxiety can totally screw you up. I believe that was the case for me.

davis8018

Status Pre-Medical

icon1.png
Encouragement!
I'm taking it May 24th as well. Can't believe we are less than a month away!
I had always heard from older friends who have gone through the whole MCAT process that it would eventually just "click," and your scores would dramatically increase. I was afraid to believe it, but I think I finally made the leap.
Took a AAMC #3 a few weeks ago and made a 23 (6/10/7). Basically panicked, but kept studying.
Took the AAMC #4 today and made a 32 (9/12/11). Hallelujah!

Shooting for a 30 or better, as I feel like that will be enough since my GPA is strong at a 3.94, and I'm probably going to go the in-state route.
user_offline.gif

Hm that's strange to me that you did so bad yet you are commiting so much time. Do you feel like you understand the material?
I don't think that time=results.

This test is different that anything most people have ever taken before. What I'm trying to say is that method of study is way more important than time spent.

Update:

So whatever, I'm ashamed but here are the scores for you to see:

4/29 AAMC #4- 5/4/3
5/6 AAMC #5- 6/5/3

I did better on PS but halfway through Verbal the library was getting annoyingly loud! Wtf I was on a quiet floor and these stupid people don't know how to be respectful. I have my Orgo final this week and have not been able to do too much MCAT review so do you think if I hardcore study every day a miracle may happen for May 31? I don't need a 30. I'm actually fine with 25 for DO school. June is all booked and I don't want to do July because I will be taking 2 summer classes.

Update:

4/29 AAMC #4- 5/4/3
5/6 AAMC #5- 6/5/3

I did better on PS but halfway through Verbal the library was getting annoyingly loud! Wtf I was on a quiet floor and these stupid people don't know how to be respectful. I have my Orgo final this week and have not been able to do too much MCAT review so do you think if I hardcore study every day a miracle may happen for May 31? I don't need a 30. I'm actually fine with 25 for DO school. June is all booked and I don't want to do July because I will be taking 2 summer classes.

In all honesty I would book it for Septemeber or January then. Your scores right now are showing a lack in content rather than test taking strategy. You can always schedule for July and see how your scoring in June and do light study in July until your test. If your not ready or close in June you should book it in September or entirely restudy in a different period. Good luck!

Update:

4/29 AAMC #4- 5/4/3
5/6 AAMC #5- 6/5/3

I would reschedule.

For the love of god push it back.

Out of curiosity, how are you doing in your orgo class? That 3 in bs could jump up tremendously fast with some efficient study time.

Push it back, study hard, and get the score you need. Don't settle for a 25.

Update:

4/29 AAMC #4- 5/4/3
5/6 AAMC #5- 6/5/3

When there are people with a score in 1 section higher than your composite, you need to push that siht back asap. You are going nowhere fast, not even a 25 anytime soon. Stop rationalizing (about the loud people in the library). You have no idea what you're doing (dog scientist). Push it back at least a year

Update:

4/29 AAMC #4- 5/4/3
5/6 AAMC #5- 6/5/3

Let me start by saying that I don't think is true when people say "you should be scoring X a month out" or whatever. Everyone is different, and plenty of people improve in the last 2 weeks. and many in their last 2 FL's.
Now, having said, that I think your scores reflect gaps in knowledge. Maybe alongside test taking skills. Saying that the library was too loud or not being in the right mood.or tired is not an excuse that is valid beyond one or two tests. Yes all those affect scores, I have experienced it too. If the library is too loud go to other floor or another one, if you are tired don't take the exam (killer) if you just had a fight then wait. Cannot have these going on all the time.
More than that though, your scores show that you are not confident with the material, not even enough for guessing on those last two choices that usually remain.
How far in advance are you with your content review?
you must understand the concepts and then practice more than anything else. Practice-post review-practice is the loop you want to get into a month before the test.
With your scores I think you need to postpone a few months until you are more confident with the material and your score reflect that. a jump of 10+ points is not going to happen in 3 weeks. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, I think you can do it with more time, but you need to be better and more effective. The only way to start improving is by realizing and accepting that a string of bad scores are not the product of circumstances around your test, but the way you are preparing and your approach to it. Find out what's wrong and fix it.
Browse these forums for resources they are great. Good luck.

Being ashamed doesn't matter.

Either you take action and go back to the basics and do it right or you can resign yourself to be one of the people whose mantra is 'woulda coulda shoulda'...

I'd say you should at very least delay and at most reconsider your decision to pursue medicine. If you have seriously committed 4-6 hours per day for two months and cannot do better than someone blindly guessing (I believe that would be a ~13) you may want to step back and reassess.

I'd say you should at very least delay and at most reconsider your decision to pursue medicine. If you have seriously committed 4-6 hours per day for two months and cannot do better than someone blindly guessing (I believe that would be a ~13) you may want to step back and reassess.

I'm with dmf. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but most people have a diagnostic score higher than 14; Mine was a 21 (Kaplan) and at the time I had C's in gen chem, orgo, and physics.

You need to be honest with your self about why you are getting the scores you are getting, then take it from there.

If it is test anxiety, it doesn't matter how much you study if you are not constantly remembering that you are studying so you won't have anxiety. Believe me, you HAVE to be proactive about your anxiety and figure out how it manifests. I have done several simulated practice runs. I have intentionally thought about how important the test for getting into medical school before I started and then brought myself back down. It might sound silly but I would rather practice being freaked out and getting over it than have to do it cold come real test time.

Sometimes it is the "voice" of the test. Going back and slowly analyzing a previous practice test brought my score up 2 points. It was a matter of really understanding what they are asking me and why. I have been studying with ExamKrackers. I like it a lot but the sound of the questions is so incredibly different from the AAMC tests that for the last two weeks I am going to focus on reviewing the tests.

If those are two things are your problems, you need to address them directly and there is a chance you can improve 10points. I once failed a test that I knew every answer to (electrical fundamentals test and my husband is a PhD electrical engineer so I had all the help I needed). I sat down after I got the test back and filled out every answer in about half an hour. That is why it is so important to address if it is test anxiety!

Finally, if you simply do not understand the content, push it back. Unless you have a tutor that can help you, it seems rather difficult to bring your score up that much on your own with a time crunch.

Basically, really figure out what is holding you back. If it really was all of the distractions, then why are you so distracted so easily? This test can make or break, you have no time for loud folks in the library, so don't give them any. I realize it is difficult but that is the mind set you need. It is your test and your chances. Own it.

When there are people with a score in 1 section higher than your composite, you need to push that siht back asap. You are going nowhere fast, not even a 25 anytime soon. Stop rationalizing (about the loud people in the library). You have no idea what you're doing (dog scientist). Push it back at least a year

I am aware, people score one section with my composite. Thanks for the reminder. I don't think I need a whole year of studying in addition to what I have already done.

I am 37, an EMT, own a business, go to school full time and support 2 kids. You think I just want to pursue medicine for ****s and giggles or be some superstar? I want this more than anything.

I'm with dmf. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but most people have a diagnostic score higher than 14; Mine was a 21 (Kaplan) and at the time I had C's in gen chem, orgo, and physics.

Another reminder, thanks.

You need to be honest with your self about why you are getting the scores you are getting, then take it from there.

If it is test anxiety, it doesn't matter how much you study if you are not constantly remembering that you are studying so you won't have anxiety. Believe me, you HAVE to be proactive about your anxiety and figure out how it manifests. I have done several simulated practice runs. I have intentionally thought about how important the test for getting into medical school before I started and then brought myself back down. It might sound silly but I would rather practice being freaked out and getting over it than have to do it cold come real test time.

Sometimes it is the "voice" of the test. Going back and slowly analyzing a previous practice test brought my score up 2 points. It was a matter of really understanding what they are asking me and why. I have been studying with ExamKrackers. I like it a lot but the sound of the questions is so incredibly different from the AAMC tests that for the last two weeks I am going to focus on reviewing the tests.

If those are two things are your problems, you need to address them directly and there is a chance you can improve 10points. I once failed a test that I knew every answer to (electrical fundamentals test and my husband is a PhD electrical engineer so I had all the help I needed). I sat down after I got the test back and filled out every answer in about half an hour. That is why it is so important to address if it is test anxiety!

Finally, if you simply do not understand the content, push it back. Unless you have a tutor that can help you, it seems rather difficult to bring your score up that much on your own with a time crunch.

Basically, really figure out what is holding you back. If it really was all of the distractions, then why are you so distracted so easily? This test can make or break, you have no time for loud folks in the library, so don't give them any. I realize it is difficult but that is the mind set you need. It is your test and your chances. Own it.
Thank you this was nice feedback.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am getting a high B+ in Orgo at the moment so I should be doing better in Bio. I did some silly mistakes and I know what I need to do as far as anxiety. And some questions I got wrong because I was weak in certain areas. I am learning from these experiences and I just need to study more. Maybe I was just studying just to check things off without really taking in everything. I'm still trying to figure it out. I do find myself wanting to jump sentences when I start getting overwhelmed. I have to try harder to take my time and not get anxious. I have until May 17th to re-schedule so until then I will just keep doing more content review and maybe do one more FL.

I seem to be posting this **** like, everywhere.

Ry0LL.png
I follow your posts...You have been doing pretty good...PR must work well for you ...Dont know why it does not work as well for me. Will take AAMC5 in a few days. I will see if I am not gonna break in the mid 20s for AAMC. My first TPR1&2 was in the low 20s after two months of content review... Can you tell me what have you done to have a significant improvement from TPR1 to AAMC 10?

Update:

4/29 AAMC #4- 5/4/3
5/6 AAMC #5- 6/5/3

You can increase your score dramatically since it's very low. For BS, if you use only EK 1001, you can get it up to 9...For PS, TBR can help you to get 8+ since you not doing terrible on it. As far as verbal, I cant tell you what to do since I am doing terrible on it as well...But you will need at least another 2+ months of content review and practice to get your score to the mid 20s range.

Last edited:
I told you this once before but you seemed to disregard what I said.

1. You're going to need to push it back 3 months. You're way behind schedule, but you can still do it.

2. Don't use EK 1001 bio. You will not improve. Use tpr science workbook passages and TBR passages. TPR bio passages are amazing. Also do a ton of FLs

3. Don't let anyone say "you need to revaluate your potential to be a doctor because of your mcat score". Complete bull****. Know how many people become doctors with low mcat scores? Tons. consider this, the average mcat for PR schools is only around a 23 or 24.

I started with a pathetic 21. I worked hard and ranged 29-32 on aamcs. It can be done. Your study time isnt working. You are approaching this test in the wrong way. You need to...

1. Improve your critical thinking skills
2. Stop wasting AAMCs
3. study more effectively
4. make no excuses, only goals
5. Don't "aim low"
6. Do as many practice passages as possible. This is highly important. DO TONS.

you can do it. Let go of the ignorance/arrogance. Go into this with a open mind. Your success will be determined by you

1. You're going to need to push it back 3 months. You're way behind schedule, but you can still do it.

2. Don't use EK 1001 bio. You will not improve. Use tpr science workbook passages and TBR passages. TPR bio passages are amazing. Also do a ton of FLs

3. Don't let anyone say "you need to revaluate your potential to be a doctor because of your mcat score". Complete bull****. Know how many people become doctors with low mcat scores? Tons. consider this, the average mcat for PR schools is only around a 23 or 24.

I started with a pathetic 21. I worked hard and ranged 29-32 on aamcs. It can be done. Your study time isnt working. You are approaching this test in the wrong way. You need to...

2. Stop wasting AAMCs
5. Don't "aim low"

you can do it. Let go of the ignorance/arrogance. Go into this with a open mind. Your success will be determined by you
I will not have enough time to do BR bio since I only have two more months to go for my preparation for the real thing...I did EK 1001 bio and I am doing TPRH bio right now. I will do BR and TPRH physics. I did not waste any AAMC...I only took AAMC3, which was my diagnostic and I scored 17 on it...My frustration is that after 2 months of content review, I have not seen any bid improvement. I scored low 20s on my first two TPR FL...I am shooting for 28+ on the real stuff. I will follow your advice to see if it will get me there.

2. Stop wasting AAMCs
5. Don't "aim low"

Totally agree, I started out badly too, major gaps in physics knowledge and I, too suffer from test anxiety big time. Don't let people on a forum question your decision to pursue medicine. I've seen people getting it right after taking their 3rd MCAT. Don't psych yourself out, do what you gotta do and believe in yourself above all. MCAT is another hoop to jump through. I dreaded this test since day one and now I just see it as something I have to do to make my dream come true. Now, if I were you I would push that test back to where you feel comfortable. It seems like you are very stressed, clear your mind look at your goals, have a date night with your husband. It will motivate you to sit down and study more than ever!!!!

Perhaps you could benefit from a prep course. Some people need to have someone explaining the material for them.

2. Stop wasting AAMCs
5. Don't "aim low"

Good advice. I'm not sure on 3 months. I need to do this in less time. I can't put it off another application cycle. I didn't disregard what you said. I am trying to digest everything and want to make a decision in the next week. If it turns out I have to take it in July then I'll go from there. It just sux that my app may not even get looked at being so late applying in August.
I only have TBR and EK 1001. Do you think it is necessary to drop more $ on TPR instead of reviewing the ones I already did?

Last edited:
Few things. Personally I think prep courses are giant wastes of money. They just give you the materials- and you can get better ones for cheaper.

Whats worse, not applying this cycle or taking the mcat gettind destroyed and having that hit to your confidence?

And temperature, I took a few tpr tests. i thought their bio was rough...They ask super detailed questions sometimes which imo isnt like the mcat. One passage was like like 8 paragraphs long with 3 crazy charts about all kinds of genes and stuff. The real deal was tough but it was manageable..and they werent ridc specific on things.

I remember on my diagnostic test I got a 17. After a bit of studying, I got a 24 on my first practice AAMC test. After about 2.5 months of studying basically non-stop, I got a 33 on the real thing.

Push it back, no doubt about it.

Good advice. I'm not sure on 3 months. I need to do this in less time. I can't put it off another application cycle. I didn't disregard what you said. I am trying to digest everything and want to make a decision in the next week. If it turns out I have to take it in July then I'll go from there. It just sux that my app may not even get looked at being so late applying in August.
I only have TBR and EK 1001. Do you think it is necessary to drop more $ on TPR instead of reviewing the ones I already did?

The sad thing about you is that you're not listening to anyone and probably going to get a sub-20 score on the real thing. YOU ARE NOT READY for the exam. What part of that don't you understand? This isn't a damn "believe in yourself and you can do it" scenario, you're going to get creamed by the mcat. You need to push it back and sit out this cycle, period. No one wants to be pessimistic with you, but you stating that you can't put off another application cycle just shows you aren't even taking this seriously. No one gives a damn if you're an EMT with your own business (whatever that means) and 2 kids, if you get a sub-20 score on your MCAT, you're not going to medical school, period. Your score (AFTER STUDYING) is so damn low, you need a reality check. Reschedule your mcat by at least 3 months or put it off until next year. If you don't, you're a lost cause...

And applying in August won't get your application "not looked at", that would be due to your low mcat score. You're seriously on a road to failure and you don't even see it. Wake up already...

I remember on my diagnostic test I got a 17. After a bit of studying, I got a 24 on my first practice AAMC test. After about 2.5 months of studying basically non-stop, I got a 33 on the real thing.

Push it back, no doubt about it.

You and me are almost the same.

Kaplan Diagnostic: 19
Kaplan FL1: (a month and a half in) 25
FL 2: 32
FL 3: 34
FL 4: 32
FL 5: 32
FL 6: 33
AAMC 3: 30
AAMC 4: 32

Basically, I would not have seen an increase if I hadn't studied so much and really learned the base. If you're getting less than a 7 on any section, that means you're not understanding the material at all. If you claim that it's because other people are extremely noisy, then you may have extreme testing anxiety, in which case that's something I'm not sure how to advise on.

Why can't you put it off another cycle? Should you do poorly on this MCAT you'd have to retake, and then reapply, diminishing your chances. If you're so convinced that this is something you want to do, why not listen to common sense and take the safer route, to push back the exam?

The sad thing about you is that you're not listening to anyone and probably going to get a sub-20 score on the real thing. YOU ARE NOT READY for the exam. What part of that don't you understand? This isn't a damn "believe in yourself and you can do it" scenario, you're going to get creamed by the mcat. You need to push it back and sit out this cycle, period. No one wants to be pessimistic with you, but you stating that you can't put off another application cycle just shows you aren't even taking this seriously. No one gives a damn if you're an EMT with your own business (whatever that means) and 2 kids, if you get a sub-20 score on your MCAT, you're not going to medical school, period. Your score (AFTER STUDYING) is so damn low, you need a reality check. Reschedule your mcat by at least 3 months or put it off until next year. If you don't, you're a lost cause...
And applying in August won't get your application "not looked at", that would be due to your low mcat score. You're seriously on a road to failure and you don't even see it. Wake up already...

I explained my background to the one telling me I should reconsider medicine that it's not like I haven't thought long and hard about this career choice. I'm not looking for anyone to give a damn. Sheesh, you always sound so condescending in your posts, it would be nice to choose a more empathetic way of communication and be less judgmental. Is this the way you talk to complete strangers, peers, teachers? But maybe you don't mean it that way, just saying that is how you come across.

So I have decided to postpone. In going over the tests, I realize this was a sign that I need a a lot more studying to do. It's hard to take, but it's okay, I'm taking it as a learning experience. Thanks again for everyone that gave feedback.

Take a month or three off.

Order the TBR books.
Start. From. Scratch. Do the Sn2ED schedule. Stretch it out a little longer if you need the time.

If you want to do this, do it right!

You got it!