Anyone do SN2ed's study plan during school and found success?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know if it's possible to experience the same success with a course load like what others have gotten while using the study guide during summer.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt you'll get many responses. My guide hasn't been around for very long. This is the first major cycle it's been up. Also, the most recent test takers who might have used my guide haven't gotten their scores. Based on past opinions, the general consensus from the few people that used the guide and posted was that it is not a good idea. I think you know where I stand already. Furthermore, I'm sure you'll find anecdotal evidence to support what you're thinking of doing. Similarly, there's anecdotal evidence provided by 40+ MCAT test takers that 2 weeks is all that's needed to succeed. That doesn't mean it's a good idea for the majority of people.

I started following it in early January with a part-time course load (7 300-level science credits with one lab), a part-time job (~10 hours/week), and ~10 hours of commuting to school each week and burned out very quickly. I'm going to push back my exam from May 7 to June 17 and stagger the studying so the bulk of it happens after the semester ends.

It's a lot of hard work; the normal days took anywhere from 4-6 hours per day, while the review + EK1001 days took anywhere from 5-8 hours. And they have to be "good" hours in that you have to concentrate intently the entire time, so you probably won't want to do the studying in the evening when you're starting to get tired and burned out (like I did).

I'd probably avoid taking summer classes if I was in your position. You want to have as much time available to focus on the MCAT as you can because you don't want to take it twice.

Again, this is just my experience, and you might be different.

Good luck.

Right now, I'm taking Ecology w/ Lab, Physics II w/ Lab, Pathophysiology and also research. I dont have a job so hopefully my schedule isnt as demanding. I'm fine with juggling the mcat and these classes but the hardest part is being consistent once midterms and finals come in :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now, I'm taking Ecology w/ Lab, Physics II w/ Lab, Pathophysiology and also research. I dont have a job so hopefully my schedule isnt as demanding. I'm fine with juggling the mcat and these classes but the hardest part is being consistent once midterms and finals come in :(

Definitely don't recommend it with that course load. If it was with classes like pottery making 101, fine, but not BCMP classes. Don't blindly rush into the MCAT because you're likely to run head first into a wall.

You also want to be sure you devote enough time and effort to your classes throughout the semester, as well (not just during mid-term and finals weeks). You don't want your MCAT studies to harm your GPA.

Another thought: you might also consider holding off with your MCAT studies until you're completely finished with physics II. Electric fields, magnetism, and circuits are important subjects for the MCAT and TBR's physics doesn't do them justice (in my opinion). You might find that you'll have a better experience preparing for the physics component once you've completed the course.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I agree with SN2ed here. I'm organizing a study group for people at my school and advocated for using the schedule to anyone interested (they'd be studying during school). The only reason I'm content doing this is because a lot of people are determined not to take a year off, or to go ahead and take the MCAT, regardless of what someone else might say. In addition to this, I feel this schedule is significantly better, even if it's near impossible to stick with all the passages, than what people can generally come up with on their own (e.g. You have these books, figure out how many weeks until the MCAT and assign this many chapters per week).

I agree with SN2ed here. I'm organizing a study group for people at my school and advocated for using the schedule to anyone interested (they'd be studying during school). The only reason I'm content doing this is because a lot of people are determined not to take a year off, or to go ahead and take the MCAT, regardless of what someone else might say. In addition to this, I feel this schedule is significantly better, even if it's near impossible to stick with all the passages, than what people can generally come up with on their own (e.g. You have these books, figure out how many weeks until the MCAT and assign this many chapters per week).

Yeah, the typical cycle is:

Person asks about taking MCAT under bad circumstances ->
Majority of posters say it's not a good idea and to wait ->
Person claims they're different or "must" take the MCAT now ->
Says they'll come back later to prove it ->
Never comes back

It's weird to know that so many people are using my schedule.

I am planning to start this schedule on Monday (02/08) with a May 22nd MCAT date. Right now I'm taking Orgo II/w lab and immunology (lecture only) for a total of 8 credits. Note: Orgo II is a re-take so I'm not learning the material for the first time. I'm tutoring chemistry part time and waiting tables a few shifts per week.

I hear what everyone is saying about not concurrently taking classes or working while preparing for the MCAT to prevent burnout and such. It's important to find that balance where both sustaining your GPA and MCAT preparation will not be harmful to the other. etc. My only counterpoint would be: in med school, there is no designing of the perfect class schedule under the most optimal conditions with the most highly acclaimed profs. The circumstance is in front of you, and you just have to do it. If you can't succeed under pressure or sub-optimal conditions studying for the MCAT, how can we expect to succeed in med school?? This time in my (and many of your lives) life probably won't be as time consuming as med school will be anyway.

I thought I'd offer that as another viewpoint as many of us are probably stressing that we can't get it all done or adhere to a good schedule. Not to slap anyone in the face, but it's only going to get tougher and you only have the set of circumstances you're given. SN2's schedule is very thorough, but I'm personally more thrilled that it removes the guesswork than I am afraid of sticking to the schedule. Being able to see it through (or any rigorous MCAT schedule) despite extraneous commitments will make you that much more prepared to work efficiently in med school. Basically, attitude is everything!

With that, best of luck!

I completely agree with you on that. I know that med schools ultimately want their students to succeed. However, I'm sure that if each med student put together an optimal study schedule to master the amount of material tested on step 1, it would be longer than the ~6 weeks usually given. I know the amount of time off varies, but I'm sure most would've studied longer if they could.

I completely agree with you on that. I know that med schools ultimately want their students to succeed. However, I'm sure that if each med student put together an optimal study schedule to master the amount of material tested on step 1, it would be longer than the ~6 weeks usually given. I know the amount of time off varies, but I'm sure most would've studied longer if they could.

Most of the ones I talked to on interviews felt like 4 weeks was enough. They said you retain a surprising amount of information from your classes. Regardless, taking the MCAT under tough circumstances isn't smart when you could easily avoid the situation. Furthermore, medical school admissions won't care that you got a 30 without all of your pre-reqs and/or with a heavy courseload. A 30 is a 30. Why shot yourself in the foot when you don't have to?

I'm currently using SN2ed's schedule and I am enrolled in school simultaneously. (BTW, Thank you SN2'ed) While I cannot say I have a heavy course load, only virology and Asian studies, I will say that it is still challenging. The extra time that you spend going to class, getting food, studying for those classes, and how the mental drain from school itself will hit you must all be factored into the schedule.

Also be mentally prepared to really buckle down, spend every day studying for either school or MCAT. For me, that meant basically segregating myself from the rest of my house hold (they tend to party alot). I had to eliminate any Tv time (those 30 minute shows end up being 30 minutes+small chat afterwards+time needed to reset your self into study mode)

In short, I'm doing it during school and even with a small course load, I find it very difficult to abide by. Note, I have also been semi-half ass studying for the MCAT for about 6 months now, doing some extremely basic content review. Also, I should also add that I am a pretty normal (not genius) student AKA I have to work my ass hard if I want grades and results.

My advice: Stay away.

In short, I'm doing it during school and even with a small course load, I find it very difficult to abide by. Note, I have also been semi-half ass studying for the MCAT for about 6 months now, doing some extremely basic content review. Also, I should also add that I am a pretty normal (not genius) student AKA I have to work my ass hard if I want grades and results.

My advice: Stay away.

I too am currently taking classes and studying the MCAT originally based on SN2ed's schedule, but after 2 weeks, I had to make some major changes because I just don't have as much time to do all the questions as I need to. I am a Non-trad so I have to study for the MCAT while taking Biochem and Physics 2/Lab. I had my first test in both classes last week. Although, I am kind of still preparing for the MCAT by studying for these classes, I have fallen behind. And, I've had to stay up pretty late the couple of nights after those tests in order to catch up with the schedule. This weekend, I am taking an unscheduled break from studying since I do in fact feel a little burnt.

I am not taking a heavy schedule at all, but I am still falling behind. Thus far, I am doing alright by adjusting my MCAT study schedule so that 1) I take break days when I feel the need to, and 2) covering each MCAT topic based on whichever topic we're about to learn in Biochem or Physics ... but it's taking a lot more work and time than I orginally planned.

I can't imagine someone taking a full course load and studying for the MCAT; especially, if they don't have a comprehensive understanding of ALL the material beforehand.

My advice: (ditto badminton) STAY AWAY:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys have any specific modifications to the schedule? Would you say it's complete overkill and becomes counterproductive if you're taking other classes OR does it just need to be spaced out over a longer period of time? I'm worried of beginning and failing, but I haven't devised an exact schedule of my own. I don't want to be a "wandering soul" so to speak as I prepare for the MCAT. My conclusion is that it this schedule be adjusted as needed, but each person will determine when and what adjustments need to be made based on what else they've got going on. We shall see.

i completely agree w/ badmintondr...

i'm doing sn2ed's schedule with a pretty light course load (english, some easy cancer class, exercise physio(super easy)) + research and yes, even a light course load does wear you out...but i think that the key to doing sn2ed schedule is to stay on track and even try to get ahead at first just in case you get sick, hungover, tired, etc...

Do you guys have any specific modifications to the schedule? Would you say it's complete overkill and becomes counterproductive if you're taking other classes OR does it just need to be spaced out over a longer period of time? I'm worried of beginning and failing, but I haven't devised an exact schedule of my own. I don't want to be a "wandering soul" so to speak as I prepare for the MCAT. My conclusion is that it this schedule be adjusted as needed, but each person will determine when and what adjustments need to be made based on what else they've got going on. We shall see.

if i were you, i'd just take out TBR o-chem, its a bit overkill IMO

I'm using this schedule right now during my summer vacation and I can't imagine how I'd be able to do it if I were taking classes as well. For me, it's averaging about 6 hours a day normally, and maybe 8 hours on the review chapters + EK 1001 days.

Yeah, the typical cycle is:

Person asks about taking MCAT under bad circumstances ->
Majority of posters say it's not a good idea and to wait ->
Person claims they're different or "must" take the MCAT now ->
Says they'll come back later to prove it ->
Never comes back

It's weird to know that so many people are using my schedule.

Sadly, this is true :(

OK, I am new to studentdoctor but I have a very complicated situation that I request you or anyone experienced to address, please. I have an undergrad and Grad Degrees in Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering, respectively. I am currently being interviewed for employment and I also applied for med school admissions this year. Due to unfavorable disadvantaged circumstances in the last 7 years particularly due to lack of permanent residency, I couldn't apply for med school admissions even though that's what I wanted to do from the beginning. Only this year in late April, did I get green card approval and was lucky to apply and get FAP. My application includes extraordinary research experiences, publication, shadowing, employment, internships, Charity Trust, research fund raising, volunteer, business, manufacturing, construction experiences. My only problem is uGPA of 3.2, post -bac 3.9 (21 credits-in one semester), gGPA 3.65. Moreover, a 21Q on MCAT :oops: I couldn't spend much time in MCAT prep as I was working up to 60 hours per week, but I do believe, if I spend enough time, I can pull off a very good score. I applied to 30 :xf: schools this year, and now I have 30 secondary applications to work with. I thought if I had a good MCAT score, I might stand a chance at top-tier schools. But given the MCAT, I honestly am having a hard time trying to decide whether to even complete secondaries.

Please know that I do not have to pay for secondaries due to fee waiver, thank God! However, I needed to know if is it worth doing secondaries, knowing the MCAT? Also, since I am planning to retake MCAT in Jan 2011 (with full prep, of course) and if I do have to reapply next year, how do med schools look at reapplicants? The only changes or updates I could make to my application would be a new MCAT score and hopefully Biomedical Engineering related employment. Do med schools expect reapplicants to have their ps changed? What changes are they exactly looking for in reapplicants?

Also, do I stand a chance for an interview invitation this year?? :luck:

I will appreciate your input or anyone else's?

Thanks,
p.s. In case you are wondering, I am 26 years old!

I think you're wasting your money. You can't do nothing with 21Q MCAT. You should retake it. Put time for it even you have to quit your full time job. (part-time is ok).:D

Sorry but could you explain to me if there is SDN study material or not ?
please let me know
thanks

Most of the ones I talked to on interviews felt like 4 weeks was enough. They said you retain a surprising amount of information from your classes. Regardless, taking the MCAT under tough circumstances isn't smart when you could easily avoid the situation. Furthermore, medical school admissions won't care that you got a 30 without all of your pre-reqs and/or with a heavy courseload. A 30 is a 30. Why shot yourself in the foot when you don't have to?