Anyone doing anything cool this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twohearted

The whistle go . . .
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone doing anything cool this summer? I am going to S. America for a month to be an intern in a clinic and learn Spanish. But I have 2 mths with nothing to do. I'll prob. just end up volunteering and playing with the band. Just seems like I'm going to be bored with little to do during those 2 mths. that I'm not abroad. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I should have known that a thread like this would be DOA.

that sounds really cool. how did you find out about that kind of opportunity? i'm just working as a lifeguard again...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wierd . . . just as I was posting about how much my thread sucked, a fish bites.

I just applied. My study abroad advisor recomended it as well as a couple of other people. So we'll see how it goes.

im going to Johns Hopkins and Stanford this summer for an internship working with the nations top high school students who are interested in medicine.

ive got a month in between the 2....would love to get a job but dont know of any place that will hire me for a month....i'll just go to the gym

im going to Johns Hopkins and Stanford this summer for an internship working with the nations top high school students who are interested in medicine.

Sounds cool. What are you going to be doing . . . leadershipy type stuff?

ive got a month in between the 2....would love to get a job but dont know of any place that will hire me for a month....i'll just go to the gym

Yeah, my problem exactly. No place will hire me for 1 month at the begining and then rehire me for the last month. I am thinking of looking for some temp phlebotomy work. I have experience and am certified, but it may take to long for them to train me to their specific policies, billing codes, etc. Maybe if I could find a place where I could just jump in . . .

There are also some jobs I know of (well in NYC anyways) where you sell tickets on the streets for comedy clubs and the like, and a large part of the money you earn is collateral.

There are also some jobs I know of (well in NYC anyways) where you sell tickets on the streets for comedy clubs and the like, and a large part of the money you earn is collateral.

Yikes. . . sounds kind of janky. But I'll check craigslist for the temps. Thanks

I will be moving up North, probably for July 1st or August 1st, so the packing/unpacking is going to take up like 2 weeks of my time. Then I also gotta finish up Orgo I by early June, and then move on to Orgo II, which I need to finish by September so I can take Biochemistry.

I will also be working part-time (25-30 hours a week) at least until I move, though possibly also after. I'm going up there tomorrow for a few days and I will go to a couple of our stores in the area (I work for a major retail chain) and explore the opportunities for transferring. I think work is going to eventually decide whether I move for July or August - if I can't transfer, I'll stay here till the latest possible date.

I will be moving up North, probably for July 1st or August 1st, so the packing/unpacking is going to take up like 2 weeks of my time. Then I also gotta finish up Orgo I by early June, and then move on to Orgo II, which I need to finish by September so I can take Biochemistry.

I will also be working part-time (25-30 hours a week) at least until I move, though possibly also after. I'm going up there tomorrow for a few days and I will go to a couple of our stores in the area (I work for a major retail chain) and explore the opportunities for transferring. I think work is going to eventually decide whether I move for July or August - if I can't transfer, I'll stay here till the latest possible date.

Sounds like a busy summer.

Sounds like a busy summer.
Not too bad, actually, my job is kind of a joke. I got 80% of my MCAT studying done there, and I studied like 2-6 hours every day.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm manning my college's bootleg distillery.....um, I mean ethanol research program (and I'm serious). This is in addition to writing journal articles and preparing for the conference in Paris in August.

Backpacking through Europe. It's on my life's to-do list and now, I'll be able to check that off. Hopefully, check off get in to med school sometime before I leave? Also, heading to the motherland (India) for a month to hang out with family. Should be a good time, all around.

Lol i was gonna do that but my other activities are in the way :(.

I have a research internship to study alzheimer's disease at a premiere institute in Arizona. I'm also volunteering and doing full time school and working in the ER on weekends. I also just got another job to draw blood for dedicated phase 1 trials. I've also been told by the operations manager that he may hand over operations to me. :eek:

yeah..this awesomely rad thing called the amcas.

yeah..this awesomely rad thing called the amcas.

Hahaha....Hey! I'm gonna do that too! Oh man, it was so much fun last year! I can't wait to do it this year....I'm so excited I can barely hold in the excitement. I'm gonna jump off a building now so I can somewhat express my joy.

Disclaimer: I'm not suicidal, though this process can instill some of those thoughts.

I am looking for an asian girl friend to have some fun with this summer :laugh:

ARGH! I just checked my e-mail and Knitpicks e-mailed me with the subject "Easy breezy summer knitting." Torture! I haven't knitted since I started studying for the MCAT sometime in January.:( And I don't think I'll have that much time for it this summer, either!

Anyone doing anything cool this summer? I am going to S. America for a month to be an intern in a clinic and learn Spanish. But I have 2 mths with nothing to do. I'll prob. just end up volunteering and playing with the band. Just seems like I'm going to be bored with little to do during those 2 mths. that I'm not abroad. Any ideas?

What's the program called?

Physics summer school + working in a free spanish-speaking health clinic taking vitals, blood, histories, etc + MCAT

i'm doing my MPH practicum in India w/ this organization called Child Family Health International. We're gonna be "working", but me & my classmates who are going planned a trip to the Himalayas and to Bombay (aka Bollywood). i'm excited :cool:

gonna go to china! :) :) some shadowing, but really just visiting family, and preparing for my 1st lab rotation in july! :D :D :D

Whats the program called. I really want to apply to such a program.

shadowing a surgeon. Filling out secondaries

Travel all over Europe/North Africa and hitting up San Diego and Disney World...non-stop travel and fun for 3 months :)

Whats the program called. I really want to apply to such a program.

It's called the People to People Future Leaders Summit in Medicine: http://futureleaderssummit.org/
You are a Conference Facilitator and you are in charge of a group of 13-15 high school students. You run them through a curriculum that involves medicine, you have class room time to do different assignments with them, you get a guide to teach them about different cases, just teaching them everything about medicne. It's a great experience and for me was life changing. Last summer I was a Conference Facilitator at Johns Hopkins and we visited the NIH, JHU School of Medicine where we had a Q & A with the dean, visited D.C., visited different hospitals, had a liver transplant case, had different doctors and a resident come talk to us. I learned just as much as the students did, just a wonderful mentoring and educating experience.

Working, filling out secondaries, going to Canada for a wedding, going to Sturgis in August!

My buddy did that last summer. A couple of his friends got a little wild and arrested. Not for the faint of heart from what I heard. You should def mention it in your PS though. :)

Wow! I'm so jealous of you all. Your summer is coming up but we are well and truely into our academic year over here in Australia. I am looking forward to summer but mine isn't until November. :( Oh well! Medical School is pretty fun anyways.

I am procrastinating right now. We are studying a patient who has just developed hyperthyroidism. I am only in second year at University doing an undergraduate medical course. Maybe all of you are thinking I'm so ignorant in my knowlege. Hehe! Oh well...you have to start somewhere...

If we are talking about what we are doing this summer then I am hoping to go to the UK this summer to work in a bar. Then I want to travel around a bit, especially to France because I have a passion for the french language. Who knows if these plans will actually happen though. I have a 21st at the beginning of summer...something to look forward too...

Well, back to my studies on hyperthyroidism and how digoxin can help prevent atrial fibrillation.

Pippa =)