This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puahate

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
only do clinical research

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Research is hard. Most experiments don't work. The worst ones are those that work the first time, and then you can't repeat them.

Research is also over rated as an EC. I suggest you beef up your app with service to others less fortunate than yourself, or get more clinical exposure.

Reactions: 1 users
Research is hard. Most experiments don't work. The worst ones are those that work the first time, and then you can't repeat them.

Research is also over rated as an EC. I suggest you beef up your app with service to others less fortunate than yourself, or get more clinical exposure.
As of right now I think my ECs are in line regarding service and clinical exposure. I am in here for a year at minimum. I think after that year (if I make it) I will do Americorp during my application year.

The brightside is I have no need for a LOR from this lab since my committee letter is finished already.

I want to stick it out just to see how much I can improve and do better. If I can get through this it will only make me more resilient. If I do a turnaround and end up getting great results and dedicate myself to learn more I just proved to myself that I can get over anything even at these low points. If I end up not doing well at the end I at least got to experience failure in an sanctioned environment that will have no impact on my chances getting into medical school. I think getting used to major failures right now will help me if I get into medical school. I will also know what mistakes not to make in a future lab if I decide to continue research in medical school.

One thing is know for sure is I am NOT doing basic science ever again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started doing research in a lab a couple of weeks ago that’s studying a topic that has been largely unstudied so far. I’ve seen a grad student at the lab run his experiment twice, both times getting different results. That’s just the nature of researching an un-explored field, any test you run will most likely result in something unexpected. I’m not sure what you’re studying, but put in more time and show more effort! Tell your PI what your goal is from the lab, whether it’s to run your own experiment and analyze the data from it, or to help someone else in the lab who is starting an experiment (depending on the time and effort you put into helping them, they may allow you to create a poster of their results to present yourself at a conference). I just see research as a waste of time if you’re looking to check a box. Have a goal and strive for it or else you’ll hate the next few months!

Currently doing research in my gap year. As of right now I am doing horribly. These past few months I been doing journal club, taking a course along with research full time. My PI does not think I am doing well in the lab. Currently I been there for a few months and I have zero results. He also found out that I dropped the course I am taking and basically said I need to try harder. I am dragging down the post-doc and honestly not performing well. He also pointed out that medical school is many times harder than what I am doing and if I don't care about this or I am not performing well then I should not go to medical school.

Currently feel pretty bad. My lifting session helped me cope but I could not even finish my last set of rows.

Now that I dropped the course I am trying to look on the bright side. Right now I can start putting my full time into research. Reading every single relatable papes and understanding the details of each procedure in a protocol so I can troubleshoot.

I don't know if I am the only one but research labs have always gave me slight anxiety. Even though I had years of experience in different labs I still have some level of worry about messing up but eventually I got over it in previous labs. After this now I feel like I need to be perfect or else.

Anyone else not doing well in research right now? How are you coping and how did you turn it around? I also do not mind having a discussion through PM.

What do you find difficult about the research you're doing?

Is it boring to you?

Do you not have enough time?

Does it require background math/science you don't have yet?

Does your personality clash with the postdoc's?

I didn't like my research experience either. Just gotta stick through it

What do you find difficult about the research you're doing?

Is it boring to you?

Do you not have enough time?

Does it require background math/science you don't have yet?

Does your personality clash with the postdoc's?

Difficult part is that it is a brand new project. I'm not simply jumping in the middle of a project. Also this is a brand new field im working in. Also i think adjusting to working full time in research along with other stuff is making it hard to focus in research.

I had barely enough time but after i dropped the course recently i think it should be better.

Immunlogy is the only new aspect but for the most part i learned much what i need

Not sure if there is a clash in personality. I know often times when i am explaining something I might stumble on my words and she has a confused face. I usually reword my words and she understands. For the most part i think she's supportive but she is busy running other experiments she is trying her best especially with this currently experiment. Even when she redid the experiments i did she got negative results so she isn't solely blaming my negative results on me. Also when im asked to explain an aspect of an experiment i oftentimes stumble a lot and make mistakes. She wants me to get better at this because she knows my PI will ask me to explain it

Overall i think the post doc doesn't hate me she's probably doing the best she can.

Definitely feel like I'm struggling in my lab sometimes, especially towards the end of the year. On the bright side, I joined a lab to see if I'd prefer research over medicine, and I have my answer!

The more I hear about research the more awful it sounds. Doing a small part of something tedious that someone else chose and will get credit for.