Anyone doing this over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathophys17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this could very well belong in the MCAT forum, I'm not sure. So sorry if it's in the wrong place =]. But...is anyone attempting to do a SURP/REU/other type of research program while taking the MCAT in May or June? Or has anyone done it before (and been successful on the MCAT)?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I took a Kaplan course while interning at a clinic office. I worked M, W, F and took Kaplan courses on Tues and Thurs. However my schedule was very flexible so it didn’t interfere with my studies.

My friend, however, did a SURF/REU program at an ivy league school and the program offered him a free MCAT prep course while he was there. From what he told me, he had a difficult time studying and doing research at the same time. He ended up getting a 28 or something.

It’s really your call, but I think those kinds of programs, you spend a lot of time doing research and making friends. I don’t know what year you are, but consider taking MCAT after sophomore year and doing research after your junior year – or vice versa. This is what I did and it worked out well.

Good luck!

I'm doing a SURF this summer, and I'll probably be taking the MCAT and preparing my med school application during the same time. It seems like a lot to do in such a short amount of time, so I'm giving some thought to taking a year off before I apply. I haven't made up my mind yet. My only concern is that my spring quarter classes and the SURF will jeopardize my MCAT score. Finals end May 22, SURF starts June 1, and I plan to take the MCAT May 28. Also, AMCAS will open at the first of June. I'm leaning towards just putting off applying til next year, since that may be too much stuff to keep together

Anyone out there had a similar experience? 2013ers?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing a SURF this summer, and I'll probably be taking the MCAT and preparing my med school application during the same time. It seems like a lot to do in such a short amount of time, so I'm giving some thought to taking a year off before I apply. I haven't made up my mind yet. My only concern is that my spring quarter classes and the SURF will jeopardize my MCAT score. Finals end May 22, SURF starts June 1, and I plan to take the MCAT May 28. Also, AMCAS will open at the first of June. I'm leaning towards just putting off applying til next year, since that may be too much stuff to keep together

Anyone out there had a similar experience? 2013ers?

Haha, maybe our lack of responses from people who have done this indicate everyone's opinion of it?

I did took a undergrad research position last summer. Worked 40 hours a week in lab and studied for the mcat all summer. I managed it fine, and did pretty decent on the mcat. It's definitely possible. That being said...it was quite the miserable summer. I felt depressed by the end of it. If possible, I would take two months or so off to study the mcat and have enough time free outside of studying for it to enjoy yourself and relax.

I was going to do SURP at my school but they dumped me as soon as they got a hint that I wanted to go to medical school and not be a PhD chemist. :mad:

Oh well. The MCAT worked out and I just volunteered instead.

I did full time research during the summer that I took the mcat. I did well enought to get a job teaching one of the most popular courses (that I didn't bother taking), but I didn't really put much time into the mcat part. Assuming you've actually taken physics, (o)chem and intro bio, there isn't any more information. Hell, I had taken but not passed one of those, not taken the other half of it and didn't study for more than a week part time. Didn't take a single practice test either (but looked over a few briefly).

That said, my case isn't the case for most. I generally kill std tests and might have done much better if I'd spent more time practicing. Realisticly, you should assess your mastery of these subjects, your ability to take std tests and how well you expect to do. In deciding to take time to dedicate to studying for the MCAT, you may find that if you can do OK w/o it, the full time research might help your app more than a few extra points on the MCAT.

Edit: Also one of the most fun summers of my life and I partied a lot. Sort of an late, late night 80's new wave theme.

Well, you know how the premed life is...;)
anything to observe the doctor patient relationship...

I'm a sophomore and I took the MCAT last summer (July 2008). I got a 33 (12 P 11 V 10 B). Will having this mcat score help me get into SURF's/REU's?

I did took a undergrad research position last summer. Worked 40 hours a week in lab and studied for the mcat all summer. I managed it fine, and did pretty decent on the mcat. It's definitely possible. That being said...it was quite the miserable summer. I felt depressed by the end of it. If possible, I would take two months or so off to study the mcat and have enough time free outside of studying for it to enjoy yourself and relax.

Which program did you do??