Anyone done AOA intership followed by ACGME residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogi

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Let's say I did my AOA rotating internship and then went on to an ACGME IM residency.
Would there not be funding available in my 3rd year of residency?

Members don't see this ad.

The way I understand it is you would either partially funded or not at all.

A better resource might be thru the Rotations & Residencies board. RBorhani is actually embroiled in the residency app process. Also, a poster under the name of 'prefontaine' would be an excellent resource.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited September 18, 1999).]

If you are accepted into ANY residency program you are given funding for up to 5 years. Anything past that would be a fellowship which is then funded by the institution. You will NOT be denied funding in an ACGME residency if you are a D.O.!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, here's the deal.

I did an osteopathic internship, and now am completing my family practice residency at a large allopathic institution. There was no problem with that, especially because I transferred into the ACGME program as a second year (PGY-II).

The osteopathic internship fulfills the ABFP requirements for the first year of FP residency -- so it worked-out perfectly for me (no lost time).

Now, regarding funding. There have been some recent changes in funding for residents. It used to be that you could do as many residencies as you desired, and Medicare would pay for it. But now, your training institution will only receive funding for you to complete your residency in the appropriate time-frame. (i.e. three years of funding for family practice residents). If you go beyond that, the institution will get 1/2 pay or no pay at all (depending on the situation).

Let's say you transfer into an EM program after a year of an osteopathic internship, but have to repeat the first year, you'll go beyond the 3 year funding limit.

So, for osteopathic interns, you'll want to look for a program where you can enter as a second year resident. Now, supposedly there will be an exemption for osteopathic internship year, but I don't know what the status of this is currently.

These changes were made because Medicare is tired of picking-up the bill for residents that can't decide what type of specialty they want to do. They are no longer going to pay for residents that finish one specialty and then enter another (say going from FP to EM to Radiology).

If someone has newer information, please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, if anyone finds the actual current legislation regarding this issue, please post it here.

[This message has been edited by Lee A Burnett (edited September 21, 1999).]

The reply posted by "MedicineMan" is wrong. Gov. will only fund certain number of years depending on the residency as explained by Lee (see above post). The latest information I have received from the DMEs and program directors is the same information posted by Lee.

If you need more info look at my posts in the "Rotations and Residencies (Osteopathic)" section of this bulletin board.

As Lee said I would like to see the regulations. Perhaps I am receiving bad information from administration on this issue but we have been told that you get up to 5 yrs funding no matter how many different residencies you choose. (This is what I have heard and NOT regulation...it would be great if we could see the actual statutes that you are pulling your info from.)

My main point, if you will reread my post and the original question, is that you will not be denied funding for doing an ACGME residency.

Thank you Drs. Burnett and Borhani for your
replies. They have been very helpful.

What is the liklihood that an allopathic
institution will accept the Osteopathic
rotating internship as PGY-1 for IM?

Would I be better served entering an
Osteopathic IM "fast track" and then
transfering out after one year (achieving
my goal, as a fast track might be more likely to satisfy allopathic IM requirements)? This would probably anger the "fast track institution? As I understand, if you enter a fast track, you only sign a contract for one year.

I imagine there are many people in my situation.

If I budget properly, could I live on 1/2
salary for one year of residency?

Go to a dually accredited program and you will not have to worry about it.

Your chances of receiving ACGME IM credit for an AOA internship (unless dually accredited) are extremely slim. So is starting IM at the PG-2 level. It may be common for FP, but not IM. None of the residents, that I know that completed an AOA internship, received any ACGME credit for it. All of them regret doing the AOA internship.

An AOA IM fast track will do virtually nothing to benefit your standing for an ACGME IM slot.

prefontaine,

Where can I find the list of dually accredited programs?

What if I wanted to go to some big name hospital? Could I leave after a year at the dually accredited traditional rotating internship to enter the ACGME program of my choice, with the internship counting as PGY-1 for internal medicine?

What do FL residents who train at Jackson Memorial, or PA residents who train at Jefferson or Hahnemann do?

Where can you find the list of dually accredited programs?

That is pretty funny. Use a little common sense. Who would compose the list? Certainly not the AOA. The limited information they provide is notoriously inaccurate. The ACGME would gain nothing by compiling a list. If you want a list you will have to make it.

It is no problem to go to an advanced position from a dual accredited PG-1.
I already stated that it is difficult to transfer and start as a PG-2 in IM. You are seriously impaired if you think that you will ever be able to 'enter the ACGME program of my choice, with the internship counting as PGY-1 for internal medicine'.

FL residents at Jackson Memorial and PA residents at Jefferson and Hahnemann do the same thing(s) as the rest of the residents. Their state of origin does not change their training. What they do afterwards is another question...

Prefontaine,

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my ?'s.

Are the Jackson/Hahnemann residents, who presumably did their AOA internships, being funded for the entire duration of their ACGME residencies?