Anyone done Dr.Oz HealthCorps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sundaymorning7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, I am looking to talk to someone who did the 2 year Dr. Oz HealthCorps. I want to get a perspective on what it was like from someone who is not my interviewer. I have been offered the position in my ideal location and am seriously considering taking it. Or does anyone know how medical schools look at this particular program? I am passionate about childhood obesity etc. and would love to work in a school, but the two year commitment is holding me back.

I also would love some more general advice. I sent in my primaries in early July and am currently filling out secondaries. If I do decide to do HealthCorps, I will probably withdraw my applications (painful to think about the money/time lost) as the program is a 2-year commitment and I also think having the program on my application would greatly strengthen the app. Will this look weird to medical schools when I come to apply again next June? Will it look like I don't know what I want if I explain the situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anyone unfortunately who has done this program, so unfortunately I can't help you there, but I have heard of it and it sounds AWESOME imo.
It will NOT look weird to medical schools when you apply next year! Many people apply to programs that require extended commitments like Teach For America, AmeriCorps, etc. and then withdraw their med school apps if they are granted acceptance. The time between college and medical school is the best time to participate in these things. Opportunities like this don't come everyday, and medical schools will understand that.

I know some schools will allow you to defer; for example, Tulane's "Time Out" program is meant to encourage individuals to pursue service opportunities by allowing 1-3 year deferment. http://goo.gl/5Z51o

Probably better than doing the whole process again...

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice guys, I would look into deferring, but I think having done this program for a year will probably add a lot to my application, and would hopefully help me get into a school I otherwise might not have (esp the UCs, I'm a cali resident)
Would still love to hear from anyone who has done the program!!

If you're interested in other opportunities, global health corps does 1 year placements. Despite their name, they do have domestic opportunities available, and they're all quite interesting. www.ghcorps.org

BTW, I find your interest and willingness to take action on childhood obesity commendable. Great stuff :thumbup:

thanks for the advice guys, I would look into deferring, but I think having done this program for a year will probably add a lot to my application, and would hopefully help me get into a school I otherwise might not have (esp the UCs, I'm a cali resident)
Would still love to hear from anyone who has done the program!!

Good luck with everything! Again, I think what you're doing is fantastic.