Anyone done IM at St. Vincent's in Conn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bts4202

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I was wondering if anyone has done their IM rotation at St. Vincent's hospital in conneticut? If so, how was it. Where there good didactic conferences? Was there hands on training? How was call and how often was it? Would you mind breaking down a typical day for me?

Thanks a million, I am debating on doing my IM rotation here or at Harbor hospital in baltimore. I have heard tons of great things about harbor, but i haven't really heard anything at all about St. Vincent's. Any info anyone has, first hand or second hand, is very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

can you elaborate on why you might want to go to St Vincents in Bridgeport? I did a few months there, it is allright. If you want hands on work its really good.
7:30 am morning rounds on patients
8:30 am attending rounds (M, W, F)
10:00 am morning conference (students not required to go but welcome to)
11:30 noon conference / lunch?
12:30 round patients, complete daily work until
4:30 which is signout.
The residents are exceptionally nice.. but is it the best learning environment? well come on down and tag a resident or hang out with med students for a day, thats my best advice to you, and maybe if you have time do the same at youre other place. St Vincents can be really really good.. I got alot out of it, but my friends doing their rotations at different places, I wonder if they are maybe getting more out of their experience? You know you want to be at a place where you can spend as much time as possible with an attending, and not learn scutwork, writing progress notes is very useful to youre learning process dont get me wrong though.
well good luck, if you have further questions, go ahead and ask or pm me.

Thank you very much AndWhat. I appreciate your help. Do you mind if I ask a couple more questions?

1. At st. vincent's, is there any call? If so, how often is it?

2. What kind of hands on stuff did you get to do besides progress notes? Is that atypical in other connecticut hospitals?

3. Is any of their IM clinicals done in outpatient clinics or is the entire 12 weeks inpatient?

4. What about griffin hospital? Do have any of the same info on that hospital?

Thanks again in advance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so..

1. At st. vincent's, is there any call? If so, how often is it?
Yes there is call in medicine, and it is q4, including call on weekends, typically you start the normal day at 7:30 am, sign out at regular 4:30pm with the rest of the teams, and then I have stayed up until 1 am, but rarely will you stay past 11 pm max.

2. What kind of hands on stuff did you get to do besides progress notes? Is that atypical in other connecticut hospitals?
hands on hmm.. well insertion of nasogastric tubes, drawing arterial blood gases, that type of work is usual, including hemoccult exams, peripheral intravenous lines, and maybe even more, but rarely, thats the usual stuff, including history and physicals in the ER. I doubt its atypical in other Connecticut hospitals, as far as I know they probably all have this type of regimen I am assuming, dont see why not.. if you do not know how to do some of these dont worry at all.. the residents will be glad to show you, and then if you show enthusiasm, you can do it the next time..

3. Is any of their IM clinicals done in outpatient clinics or is the entire 12 weeks inpatient?
You know its totally up to the resident that you work with.. some will allow you to go, and others dont really want you there, its totally up to the resident that you are working with.. but I would say that there should be absolutely no problem, I have gone a few times during the week..

4. What about griffin hospital? Do have any of the same info on that hospital?
sorry no clue at all regarding griffin hospital, isnt it griffin memorial or something like this? nevertheless, cant help you with much there...
hope this helped. good luck to you, any further questions let me know...

AndWhat, thanks a TON! :D

If anyone else has any info on griffin ( I know AUC and Ross students rotate there), please add your comments if you can.

Thanks again!!

Getting ready to go to st. v's and I have another question. Has anyone stayed in teh student housing accross the street from the hospital? if so, how was it, is it more an apartment or a dorm? What are the details, any pics?

THanks