Anyone done paying back time for USUHS and have advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliGrl80

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strongly considering attending USUHS this fall and wanted to hear from someone who had done this whole route. I have talked to students who are in school there and students in residency but no one who is all done. What is it like transitioning and are you happy with the route you took? :)

Members don't see this ad.

CaliGrl80 said:
I am strongly considering attending USUHS this fall and wanted to hear from someone who had done this whole route. I have talked to students who are in school there and students in residency but no one who is all done. What is it like transitioning and are you happy with the route you took? :)

Hello,
I am, or was, in the exact same dilemma that you were in. I started a thread called USUHS vs. HPSP. There are about 2-3 pages of dialogue between mysef and other military folks. Maybe you could get some ideas from this, or even add to the thread. Otherwise I would be happy to share my own opinions and decisions for ultimately choosing USUHS.

What most people will say is that if you are not sure, then don't go to USUHS. In HPSP you can get out of the service in a reasonable period of time if you do not like it.

you can email, PM, or just public thread this discussion with me.

CaliGrl80 said:

The people that I know or talked with who completed the whole USUHS + miltary process were very gung ho miltary, and they all stayed in or went back in. However, they say that none of them had a problem when they did finally go in to teh private sector. And many of them did it with a retirement package from the military. I would imagine that setting up private practicve may be a bit more difficult without all of the civilian connections, but getting a job at a hospital or university would not be to difficult.
There is a professor at USUHS, Dr. John McManigle who said that he was retiring and looking at job prospects. You should try and reach him with this question. He will shoot straight with no USUHS bias...He actually did not graduate USUHS, but did HPSP and stayed in. You probably met him during the interview day, I stringly suggest talking with him. You can probably get his email from the USUHS website. I can also give his phone # if you need (via PM).

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the info. I will take you up on that offer to pm you.

You can also contact the USU Alumni association and ask them to put you in touch with a grad who is out of the military. Check out the webpage for more info.

Trix
t minus 2 years and 4 months

I had the same dilemma back in college (many, many eons ago...in a galaxy, far away). I really liked USUHS, but was unsure of the long commitment. I believe the choice between USUHS and HPSP depends on your interests and fit in the military. Some people fit in the military, some people don't. Research, ask past and current military docs, and look inside yourself honestly. Am I military material? Am I willing and able to deploy for long periods of time?

Your commitment to USUHS is 7 years, but internship and residency do not count toward fulfilling this commitment. So honestly, the earliest you can get out is 8 years (1 year of internship and 7 years of GMO work). If you do a military residency, expect to stay in the military for at least 10 years. However, while a med student at USUHS, you can make up to $40,000 per year (YES, THEY PAY YOU $$$ TO GO TO MED SCHOOL!). But you have to wear a uniform everyday (no stylish clothes in school :mad: )

HPSP's typically have a 4 year commitment on their contract. However, the stipend is around $12,000 per year (well, that's what I got when I was a med student)...it may increased since my time. HPSP's can enjoy civilian lifestyles, wear comfortable clothes, suits, ties, and dresses for 11 months of the year.

Also, it depends on the breadth of medicine you are looking for. At USUHS, in addition to regular medicine, you'll see a unique study of medicine with interesting fields such as Tropical Medicine, Aviation Medicine, Dive Medicine, and Bioterrorism :thumbup: However, the disadvantage with military hospitals is their lack of typical diseases (compared to the civilian world). As a NYC med student, I always had patients with HIV, cirrhosis, psychiatric diseases, and working in trauma I level centers. I drew blood and IV's for the patient myself. I rarely saw these cases in the military hospitals :thumbdown:

Again...do the research, Research, RESEARCH...and ask yourself which one best fits you and your goals.

GOOD LUCK!!!

ISHII

P.S. -- HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY EVERYONE :luck:

Your commitment to USUHS is 7 years, but internship and residency do not count toward fulfilling this commitment. So honestly, the earliest you can get out is 8 years (1 year of internship and 7 years of GMO work). If you do a military residency, expect to stay in the military for at least 10 years......

...HPSP's typically have a 4 year commitment on their contract. .

To clarify, HPSP has the exact same time commitment as USUHS, less 3 years. Time spent in residency does not count to fulfilling the commitment.

Also, if your residency time is longer than 4 years, you owe THAT amount instead. For example, my wife is a HPSP student and received the scholarship for 4 years. BUT - she just matched to a six year general surgery program for the army, so she will owe six years payback.

Edit: the above applies for military residencies only. If you receive a deferrment to do a civilian residency then you just owe a one-for-one payback of your med school scholarship. You can't count on deferrments, however.

CaliGrl80 said:

I understand your dilemma, and how hard it is for you to decide on USUHS, but I think one thing that will help you decide is whether you want to be in the military. If you didn't want to go to medical school and be a doctor, would you have wanted to just serve in the military? If the answer is yes, then military physician option is for you. I am a former Marine and hopefully will get my unconditional acceptance in the next week or so. I think military medicine requires a passion for military service first, and being a doctor while doing that is a great bonus. Good luck!

agoodguy said:
I am a former Marine and hopefully will get my unconditional acceptance in the next week or so.

OOOH RAH MOTO DAWG :cool:

Stay motivated!