Anyone eagerly awaiting Pitt results????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
uptoolate said:
I sent my in a couple of weeks ago and received no acknowledgment- and then (b/c I'm a geek) I sent something on Sunday and got no response. No worries.

Last year's thread said they had about a hundred applicants and 10-12 awards. Don't know about the accuracy of it, but hey, these're the jokes folks.
the email said there were only 4 full merit awards. i guess the others are partial merit scholarships.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent my app in a month ago or so, and got no reply. I guess that they will only look at the ones for accepted people....

Got a phone call today at about 630pm. Told me I was accepted. SO EXCITEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
msafain said:
Got a phone call today at about 630pm. Told me I was accepted. SO EXCITEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!

awesome... congrats!

noodley said:
iggyboop, do you know if they will also send an email? I was hoping to hear this week, but now it might be 2 more! considering how slow mail is. Bummer.

I dunno, all I asked is when the next batch of decisions would be coming out, and they said next Wednesday. Oh well. Personally, I'm just thinking "April" to myself, and then anything that comes before then will just be early. :cool:

msafain said:

From who? We have one person saying they're in and another saying decisions aren't out yet... who do we believe?

I can't get the status page to load--is that a sign? :D Treg

Mine's still loading- I so need to stop obsessing...

does pitt have a second look weekend?

I want to say its the week-end of April 16 but I may be making that up just to keep from writing the paper that's been hanging over my head.

Ok, folks. I just called.
I asked when decisions were going to be made, and she asked me when I interviewed. I interviewed November 1. She said I could expect to hear from them in two weeks. They have started making decisions, but the process is slow. I assume, since she asked about my interview date, that they're going in some sort of chronological order. All decisions go out by snail mail, there will be no emails.
The woman I talked to was really nice.

Got a call last night at about 4:45pm. I was told second look was april 8-10th.

Congrats to those accepted, could you tell us when you interviewed? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
criminallyinane said:
Congrats to those accepted, could you tell us when you interviewed? Thanks.
Found out yesterday...interviewed 9/13

pinkice said:
Found out yesterday...interviewed 9/13
I'm curious: did you get the second invite to apply for the scholarship? That is, the one that hinted that you were about to be accepted?

liverotcod said:
Out of curiosity, did you get the second invite to apply for the scholarship. That is, the one that hinted that you were about to be accepted?
I have learned to take everything on this website with a grain of salt. I received one email soliciting applications for merit scholarships, as did MANY other people. I received a second email stating that the general financial aid forms were now available on the website which explicitly stated that said email was being sent to all who interviewed at Pitt. This leads me to believe that someone in FA realized the frenzy caused by the first email and wanted to clarify that everyone was receiving the second (and more than likely the first as well). In light of this I don't believe either was meant to hint acceptance! Just my opinion...

pinkice said:
I have learned to take everything on this website with a grain of salt. I received one email soliciting applications for merit scholarships, as did MANY other people. I received a second email stating that the general financial aid forms were now available on the website which explicitly stated that said email was being sent to all who interviewed at Pitt. This leads me to believe that someone in FA realized the frenzy caused by the first email and wanted to clarify that everyone was receiving the second (and more than likely the first as well). In light of this I don't believe either was meant to hint acceptance! Just my opinion...
Pitt certainly engages in a little gamesmanship! But there was, in fact, a third email. The text reads:
---
Liverotcod, I hope you have received our e-mail concerning the Dean’s Merit Scholarship. This scholarship is offered to those students who have made a commitment to a career in academic medicine. Your application indicates you are a very worthy candidate. So worthy, that a letter of admission will be forthcoming within the next several weeks. I urge you to submit an application via e-mail. I have included our original e-mail as an attachment.
---
The reason I was curious is that I'm trying--just for kicks--to second-guess the Pitt game. If we assume they are calling their favored candidates to give them the good news, doesn't it make sense they would also have received the above email? I'm not overly concerned, but it's interesting to see how they market to us. I hear Michigan is the same way, sending out fleeces to some candidates, offering them instant acceptances after interview, etc.

I love the attention. But the way I look at it, it's important to separate the marketing of the admissions office from the qualities of the actual school.

got the same email as doctorevil. forgot to apply for the scholarship. didn't get a phone call about being accepted yet. i hope they didn't revoke my acceptance b/c i forgot to apply for the scholarship :eek:

liverotcod said:
Pitt certainly engages in a little gamesmanship! But there was, in fact, a third email. The text reads:
---
Liverotcod, I hope you have received our e-mail concerning the Dean's Merit Scholarship. This scholarship is offered to those students who have made a commitment to a career in academic medicine. Your application indicates you are a very worthy candidate. So worthy, that a letter of admission will be forthcoming within the next several weeks. I urge you to submit an application via e-mail. I have included our original e-mail as an attachment.
---
The reason I was curious is that I'm trying--just for kicks--to second-guess the Pitt game. If we assume they are calling their favored candidates to give them the good news, doesn't it make sense they would also have received the above email? I'm not overly concerned, but it's interesting to see how they market to us. I hear Michigan is the same way, sending out fleeces to some candidates, offering them instant acceptances after interview, etc.

I love the attention. But the way I look at it, it's important to separate the marketing of the admissions office from the qualities of the actual school.
Very interesting...I must admit the day the first email went out I was very bored at work so I wrote the essay and mailed it back the next day! I never have been good at playing hard to get...not that I'm easy...but know what I want! :laugh:

pinkice said:
Very interesting...I must admit the day the first email went out I was very bored at work so I wrote the essay and mailed it back the next day! I never have been good at playing hard to get...not that I'm easy...but know what I want! :laugh:
Ahhhh... that's probably it. Because you were on top of the thing, they didn't need to send you a reminder. Cool. Always more to learn, eh? Krelian and I will be waiting patiently by our phones.

liverotcod said:
---
Liverotcod, I hope you have received our e-mail concerning the Dean’s Merit Scholarship. This scholarship is offered to those students who have made a commitment to a career in academic medicine. Your application indicates you are a very worthy candidate. So worthy, that a letter of admission will be forthcoming within the next several weeks. I urge you to submit an application via e-mail. I have included our original e-mail as an attachment.
---

Just out of curiosity, who was the 'special' email from? The same email address as the regular emails? Was it signed? And why can't they get they're grammar/punctuation right? ("So worthy, that a letter of admission will be forthcoming within the next several weeks."?)

boardchic said:
Just out of curiosity, who was the 'special' email from? The same email address as the regular emails? Was it signed? And why can't they get they're grammar/punctuation right? ("So worthy, that a letter of admission will be forthcoming within the next several weeks."?)
Signed, and from, Dr. Curtiss.

So much for Pitt's "nonrolling" admissions. I guess I'll cross them off my list since I didn't get that email.

criminallyinane said:
So much for Pitt's "nonrolling" admissions. I guess I'll cross them off my list since I didn't get that email.
I don't know if you were joking, but I certainly don't think you should write Pitt off. Who knows how they're making these determinations? :confused:

Non-rolling still holds true, because it implies that they don't make acceptances during their interview process, but rather after all the applications are complete. I don't believe they claim to have a uniform acceptance date. But I will admit that their marketing is a little sneaky.

I really like the school, though, and all the conspiracy is at least entertaining.

it's entertaining to you because you got the 'special' email. i got a 'special' early invitation to interview from dr. curtiss and a 'i can't really tell you this but...' assurance from him at my interview. and no 'special' email. all this 'special'ness is just annoying. just tell us whether or not we got in.
liverotcod, when did you interview?

I am just sick of feeling toyed with. Tufts delayed decision, Pitts marketing to some candidates and not others. After almost an entire year of being an applicant, can't they just stop dangling the carrot in front of our noses and tell us our status?

boardchic said:
it's entertaining to you because you got the 'special' email. i got a 'special' early invitation to interview from dr. curtiss and a 'i can't really tell you this but...' assurance from him at my interview. and no 'special' email. all this 'special'ness is just annoying. just tell us whether or not we got in.
liverotcod, when did you interview?
I hear ya. I didn't get the Michigan fleece, and now I'm waitlisted. I am admittedly less entertained.

I interviewed on 10/12.

criminallyinane said:
I am just sick of feeling toyed with. Tufts delayed decision, Pitts marketing to some candidates and not others. After almost an entire year of being an applicant, can't they just stop dangling the carrot in front of our noses and tell us our status?
Hear, hear!

liverotcod said:
I hear ya. I didn't get the Michigan fleece, and now I'm waitlisted. I am admittedly less entertained.

I interviewed on 10/12.

Hear, hear!

Ditto guys...as one Dir. of Admissions from one my state schools put it...you have all worked your butts off to get this point and deserve an honest and efficient response. His philosophy? To heck with the rules and games...he called us the day after our applications were reviewed by the full committe and told us what the deal was gonna be!

I know this is wrong, but feeling like I'm being jerked around by these schools just makes me less inclined to want to go there. Admissions is part of administration, and if the admin thinks that it's okay to treat students the way that admissions treats applicants, then maybe it's not the place for me. I know I am being irrationally pessimistic right now because I want an answer, but I can't help it -- I am feeling very negatively towards these admissions committees at the moment!

liverotcod said:
I really like the school, though, and all the conspiracy is at least entertaining.

I love the school but didn't get the e-mail, so the conspiracy is just plain nerve-wracking to me.

If y'all were to win a full-tuition scholarship from Pitt, would that automatically seal it for you as far as where to matriculate?

Well, the "specialness" is sort of disconcerting. I got a pre-scondary interview invite and honestly, I don't know why. My MCATs were nothing special and my undergrad record is nothing short of appalling. My graduate work is something else, but I'm not even sure they saw that at that point.

What I do really like about Pitt *a lot* is that they seemed to be more willing to take a chance on renaissance candidates than other schools in their tier. A significant portion of students that had so-so to inversely amazing undergraduate records who re-grouped and tried to compensate (either by rocking the MCAT or whatever) were given a fair shake at Pitt. And I did buy into their people first propaganda. I'm currently at a very reputable research institution and the general ambience is so palpably different from what I saw at Pitt, even in experiences as mundane as walking through the hall.

While I feel the same way about the marketing strategies of the school, I do respect their efforts towards at least acknowledging that humanizing medical training and practice is important. I think the types of students they interviewed also reflected that agenda.

I'm not expecting any phone calls, though. My hands were shaking so hard during my student interview that I have no doubt I got a 0 for social skills, but I'll keep my (shaking) fingers crossed anyway.

Good luck!

liverotcod said:
If y'all were to win a full-tuition scholarship from Pitt, would that automatically seal it for you as far as where to matriculate?

Hell, if they made me pay for someone else's full-tuition scholarship I would still seriously consider going there.

liverotcod said:
For me, it would. Alas, 'tis very very unlikely. :(

liverotcod said:
I guess to me, it would depend on the requirements of the scholarship, if there are any specifics other than the vague description in the emails. I haven't seen but a brief emails worth of information on it. Not that I am expecting to receive it. I know someone who did get one of them 2 years ago and declined for Duke.

Kazema said:
Hell, if they made me pay for someone else's full-tuition scholarship I would still seriously consider going there.
You're on. I'll forward you my tuition bill when it comes. :thumbup:
:p

seethrew said:
I guess to me, it would depend on the requirements of the scholarship, if there are any specifics other than the vague description in the emails. I haven't seen but a brief emails worth of information on it. Not that I am expecting to receive it. I know someone who did get one of them 2 years ago and declined for Duke.
There are what seem to be valid arguments on both sides:
1) Earnings as a practicing doc will make educational debt relatively unimportant; people pay their loans off in a couple years, so don't worry about the money.
2) It would be crazy to turn down $150,000 or more in scholarship, for some small perceived advantage in quality of education.

I think Pitt was the best school I interviewed at. I noticed the things uptoolate mentions, and as a seriously non-trad student I think I would be really comfortable in Pittsburgh and at Pitt Med. The only thing it doesn't satisfy is my desire to be close enough to home (Wisconsin) for my kids to see their grandparents regularly. So, sans scholarship, I'm torn. But you can do a lot of flying for $150,000 so that would seal it for me.

criminallyinane said:
I know this is wrong, but feeling like I'm being jerked around by these schools just makes me less inclined to want to go there. Admissions is part of administration, and if the admin thinks that it's okay to treat students the way that admissions treats applicants, then maybe it's not the place for me. I know I am being irrationally pessimistic right now because I want an answer, but I can't help it -- I am feeling very negatively towards these admissions committees at the moment!
Totally agreed. The schools that told me right away have actually risen in my mental lineup, just because it shows to me that they have a lot of respect for their prospective students.

I'm beginning to resent the arbitrary gamemanship being showed by ALL non-rolling schools at this point. I.e., someone gets a phone call from their interviewer or a special email, while others have to wait for news via snail mail... and if you DIDN'T get in, you often have to wait another weeks to get your rejection letter and know for sure.

Plus, the technology exists to let everyone know at exactly the same time. Status pages, anyone? And yeah, I know sometimes people make mistakes with webpages, like Duke made a few years ago. But that doesn't mean you should abandon the internet entirely. Take a lesson from Santa Claus and check your lists twice, for heaven's sake.

Ok, off the soap box now.

liverotcod said:
There are what seem to be valid arguments on both sides:
1) Earnings as a practicing doc will make educational debt relatively unimportant; people pay their loans off in a couple years, so don't worry about the money.
A couple??? It depends on what you end up doing. I know an older student who went to GW and then practiced 5 years as a geriatric doc. Now is working for the government. Is on the 15-20 year plan and says it has been rough.

2) It would be crazy to turn down $150,000 or more in scholarship, for some small perceived advantage in quality of education.
I think that if you know a school is a much better fit for you, you might choose it over money... you would have to be a bit insane too. I think the person I speak of also had location issues.

I think Pitt was the best school I interviewed at. I noticed the things uptoolate mentions, and as a seriously non-trad student I think I would be really comfortable in Pittsburgh and at Pitt Med. The only thing it doesn't satisfy is my desire to be close enough to home (Wisconsin) for my kids to see their grandparents regularly. So, sans scholarship, I'm torn. But you can do a lot of flying for $150,000 so that would seal it for me.
I agree that Pitt is awesome. Just wish that it wasn't so grey in Pittsburgh and inside the buildings. A remember a lot of flourescent lights. Isn't that a weird thing to remember?

No, it was pretty gray. I happened to be staying with my college roommate who had moved there unwillingly from Madison the week after her mom died and hated the city- called it the Pitts. I think she was too angry at the world to give it a fair shot, but its hard to get that out of your head. However, I currently live in city where someone gets shot on a daily basis, so I'm pretty easy to impress.

The location and fit does make it a tough call. My state school is two blocks from my husband's office and 1 block from the preschool (for my daughter) voted Best of Dangerous City's several years running. Half days most days for the first couple of years and in-state tuition. Get to keep house and friends. That said, we would be in Pittsburgh in a heartbeat if full-tuition fudning were involved.

leechy said:
I'm beginning to resent the arbitrary gamemanship being showed by ALL non-rolling schools at this point. I.e., someone gets a phone call from their interviewer or a special email, while others have to wait for news via snail mail... and if you DIDN'T get in, you often have to wait another weeks to get your rejection letter and know for sure.

Right on! Screwing with applicants = not cool. I'm hanging on the edge of whatever sanity remains as this process slowly grinds to a conclusion. Thus, I don't need this crap...TELL ME ALREADY!!!

Have a nice day, y'all ;)

Hey Guys, just thought I'd jump in here and plead with you to try to ignore these games schools play. I'm a first year at Pitt, I had very average stats, but I suppose a unique group of ecs. Regardless, I never got any advance e-mails trying to entice me to come, etc. Try to understand that all of the top schools, in particular those with scholarship money to throw around are scrambling to attract those candidates I can only describe as all-stars. I've interviewed a few people who have simply unbelievable lives, add some nice stats to that profile and you have a highly motivated, brilliant individual that every school from WashU to Penn to Vanderbilt will be throwing money at to try to get them to come. There really aren't that many of these characters despite what you might see here on SDN. SDN is a unique sampling of folk in which there always seems to be an overrepresentation of these applicants, in particular among those who post.
Sooo . . . while it might seem unfair that schools play games, try to realize that they're not doing this for the majority of their acceptances. In other news, I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Pitt. I for one love the city and think it has everything I could ask for. I would bet that at some point every day I realize how lucky I am to be here. Pitt is a great place to study medicine.

Thanks for coming by to calm us down Wardens :D

:scared: so i called the office and they are sending out acceptance packets today....im so nervous

mango6110 said:
:scared: so i called the office and they are sending out acceptance packets today....im so nervous

So, did anyone new get a phone call?

They are sending them out today? What happened to two weeks from now? I don't understand what is wrong with Pitt that they can't get their story straight :eek: It's really annoying!!

Definitely annoyed on this end too, compadre. I think I’ll impose a self-ban until I hear from Pitt. Now where did I leave that bottle of JD?

Tune in next week kiddies. Same spidey time. Same spidey channel.

Ciao...

mango6110 said:
did they ask when you interviewed? when did you interview?

Does anybody know up to what interview date UPitt has made decisions on? When I called on tuesday I was told I was still under review and that it was "a good thing", and to expect to hear in the next week or two. Now, I am even more nervous....oh well