Anyone else annoyed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, any of you other 4th year med students feeling frustrated that the military knows where we've matched, but won't tell us until the 15th? I might not care as much if I wasn't doing an early civilian match too, but it's so annoying to be flying around the country going to civilian interviews while the army prepares to let us know the results of their match.

Members don't see this ad.

Sledge2005 said:
So, any of you other 4th year med students feeling frustrated that the military knows where we've matched, but won't tell us until the 15th? I might not care as much if I wasn't doing an early civilian match too, but it's so annoying to be flying around the country going to civilian interviews while the army prepares to let us know the results of their match.
GET USE TO IT..YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING YET..THE BULL**** IS STAT TO SNOWBALL. TAKE IT FROM A GMO X 2. THIS AIN'T NOTHING.

gmonavydoc said:
GET USE TO IT..YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING YET..THE BULL**** IS STAT TO SNOWBALL. TAKE IT FROM A GMO X 2. THIS AIN'T NOTHING.

the above is accurate

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah it sucks. I myself think that it is almost comical that I have to go on a civilian interview on the 14th of this month, knowing that I will match the next day.

I believe their purpose is this, yes, the computer has matched you, but none of it is official until the surgeon general of the army approves it, which takes until about the 15th to become official.

Its all frustsrating, but at least they do tell us to expect this.

bustbones26 said:
I myself think that it is almost comical that I have to go on a civilian interview on the 14th of this month, knowing that I will match the next day.

I know how you feel, I have an interview scheduled in NYC for the 15th. Maybe they'll let me check my email halfway through the inteview day to see if I matched!

Well, at least we all know at this point we've matched to something. If you didn't get a phone call at the end of last week offering a spot amongst all the leftovers (I've heard horror stories), then you at least matched to something you put on your rank list.

DaveB said:
Well, at least we all know at this point we've matched to something. If you didn't get a phone call at the end of last week offering a spot amongst all the leftovers (I've heard horror stories), then you at least matched to something you put on your rank list.

Are you sure about this??? If this is true, and I did match into something on my rank list, then that means I can stop worrying about all these frickin interviews.

Sledge2005 said:
Are you sure about this??? If this is true, and I did match into something on my rank list, then that means I can stop worrying about all these frickin interviews.

I can tell you thats how the system works in the Navy, although I guess I'm probably wrong to jump to the conclusion that it also works this way in the Army or Air Force (sorry to get your hopes up). I've encountered at least a few disgruntled Navy interns/residents who didn't match to what they wanted and got a phone call at the send of the selection board week asking them to choose between "middle-of-nowhere" family medicine and "crappy internship that nobody wanted" internal medicine. The Navy intern selection board will not stick you into a spot that you didn't put on your rank list... I've heard from people that they'll even give you a choice of leftover Navy internship spots before they stick you with a 1-year deferment (if you didn't put it on your list).

Heeed! said:
If you get deferred, those interviews might come in handy! :luck:

So if you were granted a deferrment, that means you won't get a phone call?

Sledge2005 said:
So if you were granted a deferrment, that means you won't get a phone call?

Again, I'm not sure how it works in the Army or Air Force, but in order to get a full deferment in the Navy you have to put a civilian deferment at the top of your rank list and "match" to it. So in the Navy if you asked for a deferment and matched to it, you would not get a phone call.

I'm getting the impression that each branch's match systems are more different than I assumed.....

But I guess if you did ask for a deferment, but put military programs on your rank list as well, you still wouldn't know if you needed to continue interviewing because you don't know if you matched to your deferment or not.

You know, now that I think about it more, this really is pretty annoying.

did anyone get a phone call?

I must say that our wait time is not that different from the NRMP where the ROL is due 23 Feb and are processed soon thereafter, but Match day isn't until 17 Mar. The thing that is strange is that our applications were due 15 Oct, but the board doesn't meet until 30 Nov. It seems like they could easily move the military selection board and match 1 month earlier, especially to accomodate those in early match fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
bogatyr said:
I must say that our wait time is not that different from the NRMP where the ROL is due 23 Feb and are processed soon thereafter, but Match day isn't until 17 Mar. The thing that is strange is that our applications were due 15 Oct, but the board doesn't meet until 30 Nov. It seems like they could easily move the military selection board and match 1 month earlier, especially to accomodate those in early match fields.

We (Navy applicants) were actually able to turn application materials until early/middle of November, which is a little more reasonable than 15 Oct. Just another testament to how screwed up the system is......

My thought is that they should change the system completely and throw military programs in with their regular respective matches somehow, or do away with military GME all together and make a move towards military-funded residency slots at civilian institutions.

DaveB said:
My thought is that they should change the system completely and throw military programs in with their regular respective matches somehow, or do away with military GME all together and make a move towards military-funded residency slots at civilian institutions.

No way! I need that pay and want those years toward retirement. :smuggrin:

i know someone who didn't match in pediatrics and was called. she got stuck with a family practice residency in jacksonville. i don't think that was even on the list.

COnavydoc said:
i know someone who didn't match in pediatrics and was called. she got stuck with a family practice residency in jacksonville. i don't think that was even on the list.

Yes, but she wasn't forced to do the residency......the alternative may have been so unpleasant that she chose the residency, but she was not forced to do the FP residency.

militarymd said:
Yes, but she wasn't forced to do the residency......the alternative may have been so unpleasant that she chose the residency, but she was not forced to do the FP residency.

So what happens if you say "i'll take what's behind door #3" Do you go back on a GMO tour from hell? Then retry after another 2-4 years?

Croooz said:
So what happens if you say "i'll take what's behind door #3" Do you go back on a GMO tour from hell? Then retry after another 2-4 years?

That's what some try to do... although from what I've encountered many people in this situation just serve thier comminment out as a GMO and don't even bother re-applying within the military GME system. However, you still have to do an internship in something before you go out as a GMO.

Door #3, if you were to turn down all of the military match leftovers, would be a 1-year deferment to do a civilian internship. In this person's case, the Navy told us this year that nobody will be allowed to do a civilian preliminary Peds internship.

Now my question is, what would happen if this person opted for the 1-year deferment and did a peds internship anyway? Or what if she really grew some cajones and matched into a peds residency? Would Uncle Sam really pull her out of her training to be a GMO?

Could someone remind me, how are we notified of match results? Is it by email? I was under the impression (for the Army anyway) that you could check the results on the HPSP webpage under the match results tab, but the FYGME section of the website is no longer accessible, and there is no match section on the HPSP portion.

bogatyr, I get the same thing when I log in. I cannot answer your question, but at least take comfort in knowing that you are not the only one that cannot log it, I know that I do. Guess we all have to wait until the 15th

I just found out that there will be a website where we will find out where we matched. For those folks in the Navy, we will be receiving an email on where and how to log in, some time before the 15th. My guess is that this would be similar for other branches but I'm not sure. Hope this helps.

CantGetRight said:
I just found out that there will be a website where we will find out where we matched. For those folks in the Navy, we will be receiving an email on where and how to log in, some time before the 15th. My guess is that this would be similar for other branches but I'm not sure. Hope this helps.

You just log in to the same site where you submitted your application.
nshs.med.navy.mil, then follow the links to GME 1 or GME 2+ and log in. Good luck.

well, I know its annoying, but in only two more days, we will know our fate, so hang in there!!

i am not sure, but on the hpsp site if you look under the student status tab it has a fygme/specialty location. this is currently blank on mine, so i assume it will be filled in when the match is complete.

i hope we all get what we want!