anyone else applying to Kentucky schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cowgirl

persian princess
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just found out I'll be interviewing at University of Kentucky in early December. I'm driving down to University of Louisville to hand-deliver my secondary for them tomorrow. Can those of you who have applied or are applying to these two schools and are instate keep this threat going by talking about your stats/application process/interview experiences? I think it will be a good threat for the rest of us Kentuckians applying this year. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sure. I've interviewed at both now. Thoughts on it:

-UK was very nice and seemed to really want to impress me. The interviews were very conversational and laid-back and friendly. They seem to put their students first and the students seem to have a lot of cameraderie. The curriculum seems quite impressively innovative, and they put a lot of priority on how you relate to the patient and respecting them. The cadaver labs are only big enough for half the students so the dissection goes in groups of six split into groups of three, and each student basically does half the dissection. They seem very flexible about letting students do lots of different things with their elective time. Block scheduling allows most afternoons off. There's a neat clinical-skills exam that foreshadows USMLE Step 2.

-U of L had sort of depressing dark old buildings. The interviews were like job interviews -- tough questions about "you." The simulated patients are very impressive, i.e., dummies with pulses and heart monitors and pupils that dilate and blinking reflexes, and they respond to various medications and suchlike. Pretty state-of-the-art. There is a ton of clinical opportunity due to lots of adjacent hospitals. U of L has "block exams," i.e., there's a week of no classes and then six straight one-hour exams -- students seemed to like these because they supposedly help prepare for Step 1. The curriculum seems to be changing, as they are finally going to more PBL stuff, but it still seems relatively traditional.

Someone at U of L seemed concerned that UK was badmouthing them, but the only badmouthing I heard was U of L students badmouthing UK (just a little bit). I felt I "fit" better with UK. Almost every other interviewee I talked to at U of L said U of L was their first choice, but it seemed to be mostly because they wanted to live in the city of Louisville rather than specific amenities of the school.

Is Lexington a nice city? Anything to do there for fun? I'll be interviewing at UK Oct 23rd and I've never actually stopped in Kentucky, just driven through it to other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's a college town with a young college atmosphere. I have been here for 4 yrs and maybe it's just me but I like the fact that when i go out i see a lot of the same faces. It's a blast here if you know where you need to be on a certain night.
I can give you the lowdown on bars right now in case you decide to stay in town for the night after your interview and want to get a feel for the town. Mondays (gambinos $10 dollar all you can drink), Tuesdays (kitty's $8 penny pitchers), Wednesdays (austin city karaoke night), Thursdays and Saturdays (avio - can get a little expensive but still a blast), fridays back to gambinos. Just a quick review of night life for ya! :D

I am in at UK for Class of 09. Any of you guys with questions feel free to PM me. I applied ED, so I didn't have any other interview experience, but I will help where I can....

And the nice ladies' names are Robin (the secretary), and Kim (the admissions officer). I am pretty sure they rule the world.

S

Cowgirl, thanks for the social advice. I'll only be in town for the day though, but if i get accepted then i'll know when and where to find you.

Nebulizer -- Lexington has a distinct gap in things to do for people older than undergraduate but younger than married-with-children. However, you'll be in med school, and it seems like the med students manage to have a relatively decent social life -- it's okay in Lexington if you have some friends, and the med students provide a ready-made pool for that.

cowgirl, I thought the U of L admissions director was pretty nice -- she's a tad brusque but not mean or rude. U of L's turnaround on my app was really fast: they actually sent me an interview invite the same day they received my LORs, which was less than a week after they got my secondary. On the other hand I knew someone who applied last year who didn't get his interview invite until around February. So it'll just depend, I guess. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

abraxas20, I totally agree that Kim and Robin are just about the nicest people in the world.

aparecida...just heard you got accepted to uk today. congrats! what do you think about me interviewing in early december? good timing or too late? I've heard the class fills up by late december/early january..so do you think I'm still ok for uk?

Hey hey. I've talked to some of you here before, but I'll re-extend the offer to answer any UKCOM questions I can. I'm MS1 at UK and I'm a big fan of the school and the city.

I was in grad school in Louisville, and I didnt think the school (UofL) was a "dump" necessarily... it's just downtown. I actually like the city of Louisville better, but I've enjoyed Lexington too.

One other thing, I got plenty of negative talk about each school during interview tours and other contact with people from either school.

In general, I thought UK's interview experience was more laid back than any of the other schools I visited. I thought the sitting in the hall outside the admission's glass... waiting... waiting... at UofL was particularly nerve wracking.

Anyway, good luck. BTW, the director of the scholarship committee told me you guys had 26 (I think) ED people accepted. That's a lot I think. Sounds like they are putting together an impressive class of 2009.

can't be that impressive a class just based on ED (at least not on an individual basis.) I was reading up on mdapplicants and this girl with a 3.16 and a lower-tier mcat was accepted early decision. Now I'm beginning to wish I had applied ED . In any case, I know UK fills their class by late december/early january. Do you all know what the trend is for UofL since they have more spots? I read about a girl who interviewed there in late february and was still accepted without getting waitlisted. I'm asking because I just became complete there so I want to figure out how late I can get an interview and still have a shot. The ulcers are already forming. Yikes! :(

cowgirl, you totally need to relax some :) I know that's really, really hard if not impossible, but please try, for your own sanity! I'm sure you're fine with an early December interview. They wouldn't bother interviewing people if they didn't have a chance of getting in, would they? Honestly, Kentucky is one of the better states to live in as far as having a good shot at getting in to med school. Did you apply to Pikeville, or just the allo schools?

I have no interest in pikeville's DO program but my dad is insisting on at least applying so i guess I am going to apply just for the heck of it. But, even If I get rejected from everywhere and get accepted to Pikeville I still will not attend that school . My dad's been practicing in Appalachia for several years and I know that the area in general, and all the frivolous lawsuits he has faced specifically, have contributed a lot to his state of depression. Also I think my stats are decent enough for both uk and uofl, 3.5 gpa and 29Q mcat. My science gpa is a little on the lower end but I think everything else I have going for me (2 yrs research, lots of volunteer work, plus a kickass essay) will hopefully help improve my chances. By the way,thanks for keeping those fingers crossed for me!
;)

seems like u and i are in the same exact boat cowgirl :cool: with some minor differences. gpa, mcat, essay, extracirrics.... maybe the undergrad institution stuff is different. i haven't gotten an invite from UK as of yet... but soon enough.

cowgirl said:
I have no interest in pikeville's DO program but my dad is insisting on at least applying so i guess I am going to apply just for the heck of it. But, even If I get rejected from everywhere and get accepted to Pikeville I still will not attend that school . My dad's been practicing in Appalachia for several years and I know that the area in general, and all the frivolous lawsuits he has faced specifically, have contributed a lot to his state of depression. Also I think my stats are decent enough for both uk and uofl, 3.5 gpa and 29Q mcat. My science gpa is a little on the lower end but I think everything else I have going for me (2 yrs research, lots of volunteer work, plus a kickass essay) will hopefully help improve my chances. By the way,thanks for keeping those fingers crossed for me!
;)

virilep said:
seems like u and i are in the same exact boat cowgirl :cool: with some minor differences. gpa, mcat, essay, extracirrics.... maybe the undergrad institution stuff is different. i haven't gotten an invite from UK as of yet... but soon enough.

Virilep, I'm sure you will hear from UK soon enough also. Are you in-state? and have you applied to UofL as well? I just received my confirmation today from louisville that my application is now complete. For anyone who has applied to UofL what was your turnaround time from the point you received the completion email to when you received an interview email? I know for aparecida it was same day. Anyone else have a different experience?

hey yeah, i'm in state. my apps for both are done and my interview for UofL is nov 3rd. I need to find out from UK.... i'll call em today.

cowgirl said:
Virilep, I'm sure you will hear from UK soon enough also. Are you in-state? and have you applied to UofL as well? I just received my confirmation today from louisville that my application is now complete. For anyone who has applied to UofL what was your turnaround time from the point you received the completion email to when you received an interview email? I know for aparecida it was same day. Anyone else have a different experience?

virilep said:
hey yeah, i'm in state. my apps for both are done and my interview for UofL is nov 3rd. I need to find out from UK.... i'll call em today.

virilep, did you get my pm? Lord am I addicted to this website! Amazing how I manage to stay away a few hours several nights a week to go party in lexington. But in the morning it is back to SDN. Is there a patch or something I can wear on my ass to wean myself off this? HELP! :)