Anyone else been in this situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryin2suxede

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just finished my freshman year at a state university, and I had a fairly good year, except for my prereqs. I took Gen Chem I and an intro Bio class, and I received a C+ and a D+, respectively. Other than that, i received A/A- in all other classes. I should have devoted more time to study for my science classes, and i was still getting used to the college environment. Also, i think it is because I do not like the college I am attending (and i am transferring as soon as i can get some financial matters straightened out).

My main question is, though, whether my D+/C+ is going to impact my chances for med school if i do not give these classes again. (I definitely do not want to take the Bio class again, as i was wrongfully advised and I never needed to take the class anyway.) My "dream" school is a top 40 school, who have an average GPA of around 3.7-3.8 and the best i can do (ideally) is about a 3.6 to 3.7. BAsically, has anyone been in this predicament where they have had an extremely rocky start and still get in to where they wanted? what are some tips i can use to convince adcoms to not judge me based on my mistakes in the beginning?

Members don't see this ad.

If the Bio class was a prereq, you'll need to retake it. Otherwise, you can just ace the classes from here on out and explain that you had a rocky start. Happens all the time.

If the Bio class was a prereq, you'll need to retake it. Otherwise, you can just ace the classes from here on out and explain that you had a rocky start. Happens all the time.

Well that is the problem, The class isn't exactly a prereq for premed students, only science majors (i am dual majoring in Anthro and political science) so i didn't exactly need it. BUT, the problem is that it was the only bio class i could take as it was a prereq for higher classes that i needed (biochem, cell bio, molecular, etc.) My advisor never told me about a way around the prerequisties which i could have done without it affecting my GPA, i found out about it much later, when it was too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that is the problem, The class isn't exactly a prereq for premed students, only science majors (i am dual majoring in Anthro and political science) so i didn't exactly need it. BUT, the problem is that it was the only bio class i could take as it was a prereq for higher classes that i needed (biochem, cell bio, molecular, etc.) My advisor never told me about a way around the prerequisties which i could have done without it affecting my GPA, i found out about it much later, when it was too late.

So I don't understand what you're asking?

If it is a general biology course, you should retake it. If it's some other random biology class and you've done well in subsequent classes then I wouldn't worry that much about it but I would make a point to do well from here on out. There isn't much else you can do. Can't change the past.

bottom line: if it's a prereq for your major/school or if it's a prereq for med school, retake. otherwise, learn from your mistakes and move on. it will affect your candidacy. it won't be a deal breaker if you do well here on out.