Anyone else do it this way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDickerson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an acting scholarship at a community college (won state a few years in HS), they pay for 100% as long as I am taking 1 theater class.

What I have been doing it taking all my basics, minus the science courses at this community college while it is free, then after I finish all of them, I am hoping to transfer to a 4-year and take all of my science courses take the mcat, etc...

Does it seriously hurt your chances getting accepted to medical school taking courses at a community college even if they are non science courses?

Of course, during the time I am taking these classes, I am not going to be completely science free. I will be doing some volunteer work at the hospital, shadowing and things of that sort.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you show that you can get A's in science coursework in a four-year school and do well on your MCAT I think you'll be okay. Plus you'll have that whole acting scholarship thing to talk about on AMCAS ;)

I have an acting scholarship at a community college (won state a few years in HS), they pay for 100% as long as I am taking 1 theater class.

What I have been doing it taking all my basics, minus the science courses at this community college while it is free, then after I finish all of them, I am hoping to transfer to a 4-year and take all of my science courses take the mcat, etc...

Does it seriously hurt your chances getting accepted to medical school taking courses at a community college even if they are non science courses?

Of course, during the time I am taking these classes, I am not going to be completely science free. I will be doing some volunteer work at the hospital, shadowing and things of that sort.

nuh..the courses at community college won't hurt; just make sure to prepare yourself for the science courses that you would take in a 4 yrs college.

op, i think you have the right idea. take the important prereqs once you're at a four-year college. you might want to take a year off, though, rather than take the mcat while you're still taking a couple key classes. but a year off is probably a good idea for most people.