Anyone else doing absolutely nothing during their year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeffy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please share.

My schedule each day pretty much consists of watching some CNN, going to the gym, and then going out with friends for ****s and giggles. That's pretty much the way its been since October or so. Oh yeah, I also did temp work packing files in boxes for 4 days (because I called in sick the 5th day out of laziness).

Members don't see this ad.

I have a job, but really they are just paying me to surf sdn.

must.....stop.....reading.....sdn.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Pinkertinkle said:
Gluck writing an essay on it.

I guess that would be a problem if it weren't for the fact that, again, I'm in my year off. Hence, my apps were sent in July.

Jeffy said:
I guess that would be a problem if it weren't for the fact that, again, I'm in my year off. Hence, my apps were sent in July.
Didn't the secondaries ask what you're doing in your year off?

Pinkertinkle said:
Didn't the secondaries ask what you're doing in your year off?

I told them what I was doing at the time: research with a professor from undergrad. I also told them that I intended on getting a job and possibly taking biochem. None of that has really changed.

Wilbury said:
I have a job, but really they are just paying me to surf sdn.

must.....stop.....reading.....sdn.....

Same here.
Jeffy, are your parents just paying you to sit around? Sounds nice to me... unfortunately, some of us need to earn money during our year off...

boardchic said:
Same here.
Jeffy, are your parents just paying you to sit around? Sounds nice to me... unfortunately, some of us need to earn money during our year off...

boo-hoo, f*cking crybaby. i worked all four years of undergrad and have been leeching off of what i've been saving, jackass.

dude, i'm in the SAME exact boat as you are. whenever any friends talk about current events, i'm all about it. i get up at 10, watch ER, chill, get on the net, SDN, clean around the house, and then play poker with some friends. i got a job on the wkends at my dad's business, but that's about it. i applied for substitute teaching jobs, and i'm tryin got get a job with webMD.... but the job market is suckin, they want a long term person. oh well. i was thinkin about buying xbox and halo.. we'll see. but damn, it sucks, i've never felt so worthless in my life.

i work 20 hrs a week in a clinic and maybe 2-3 hrs a wk tutoring SAT. still have plenty of free time and actually feel guilty about it, like i should be saving up for med school.

virilep said:
dude, i'm in the SAME exact boat as you are. whenever any friends talk about current events, i'm all about it. i get up at 10, watch ER, chill, get on the net, SDN, clean around the house, and then play poker with some friends. i got a job on the wkends at my dad's business, but that's about it. i applied for substitute teaching jobs, and i'm tryin got get a job with webMD.... but the job market is suckin, they want a long term person. oh well. i was thinkin about buying xbox and halo.. we'll see. but damn, it sucks, i've never felt so worthless in my life.

yeah see that's the problem that i've run into. had a few interviews with small pharma companies and whenever my availability came up, the response was always, "well, the training alone for this position is about a year long." :rolleyes: and since i refuse to make pizzas or sell photo printers to jackasses in my hometown i figured that temp. work would be a good way to go. :thumbdown:

Jeffy said:
Please share.

My schedule each day pretty much consists of watching some CNN, going to the gym, and then going out with friends for ****s and giggles. That's pretty much the way its been since October or so. Oh yeah, I also did temp work packing files in boxes for 4 days (because I called in sick the 5th day out of laziness).

You're my hero.

Ive been playing Halo 2 on XBOX live wayyyyy toooo much. I need to find a job! I hope im not this lazy when Med school starts this fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
virilep said:
i've never felt so worthless in my life.

You should enjoy the time off while it lasts. ;) It'll be another forty years before retirement. NOW how do you feel?

count me in. I havnt done dick since the MCAT in august. Been thinking about applying for a job at home depot.

that's what so many people have told me. i'm goin to europe in june and all i'm doin now is tryin to make money and go to places like vegas

There are more of us than I thought there were :thumbup:

Jeffy said:
boo-hoo, f*cking crybaby. i worked all four years of undergrad and have been leeching off of what i've been saving, jackass.

then start saving for med school; time=$ in any system, even if your ass saved for years before. Its gonna suck with you have to pay interest on every dollar you use in med school b.c you wanna watch cnn right now

By night, I wait tables... By day, I sleep, eat, run, swim and ass-camp on the couch. I am doing a few positive things that I'm actually interested in, but those taking up only around 5 hours in a week leaves much to be desired. I must agree with the sentiment that no one wants to hire someone for 6-8 months, unless you want to sell someone something in a thrift store or continuously ask, "would you like some fresh pepper on that?" By the way, I have the latter of the two down to a science, thank you very much :cool:

AJ

ME ME ME! Add me to the list of doing nothing. I mean, I technincally show up at an office and sit at a desk for 50 hours a week, but they pay me to surf the web all day. I've never read so many websites and sent so much email in my life.
I started this "job" in June, and at first it was really fun to slack off all day. Now, after a few months I am really getting ready for a challenge again...my brain is rotting. In fact, sometimes I feel like warm mush start sliding out of my ears and I think to myself, I need to start med school soon before all my thinking capabilities dissolve ;)

I've noticed a disturbing trend among many of my highly-motivated, goal-oriented acquaintances: when deprived of being told what to do, they flounder. Many of these people seem perpetually unhappy, they are either "overworked" or "bored" depending on how much work they are assigned. A good deal of success, however, depends on being comfortable with oneself in one's "own" time and knowing how to make use of the gift of freedom and leisure.

I am pining for "free" time now and have a million and one ideas for what to do with it, starting with the sadly unread books on my shelf and ending with the dusty guitar in the corner.

If you're bored, check out worldhealthnews.harvard.edu, as well as the nytimes.com or the New Yorker - besides the news and op/eds, just reading the book reviews could spin off countless hours well-spent on recommended literature. hey, more exotic possibilities like roadtrips, foreign volunteer work, etc, are all out there for the taking as well. enjoy, you'll miss this time later on!

Haybrant said:
then start saving for med school; time=$ in any system, even if your ass saved for years before. Its gonna suck with you have to pay interest on every dollar you use in med school b.c you wanna watch cnn right now

I thought about that for a while the other day, but then Rocky III was on TBS and I stopped caring.

Jeffy said:
I thought about that for a while the other day, but then Rocky III was on TBS and I stopped caring.
:laugh: I love SDN :D

Jeffy said:

Funny, James Bond marathon did the exact same to me. I blame television for my increasing debt, maybe a lawsuit is in order

ajnak182 said:
Funny, James Bond marathon did the exact same to me. I blame television for my increasing debt, maybe a lawsuit is in order

Yeah, "The World is not Enough" must've played at least 5 times during those 7 days. Why don't they show "Goldeneye" instead instead of crap like "A View to a Kill" and "Octopussy." I hate Octopussy.

Jeffy said:
Please share.

HAHA

thats so tight, enjoy the life man.

screw work, i strategy consult and make a ishload of money but i hate it.

i would love to do what you're doin'...

-a

shawty ya'head said:
HAHA

thats so tight, enjoy the life man.

screw work, i strategy consult and make a ishload of money but i hate it.

i would love to do what you're doin'...

-a

I dunno, a fecesload of money would be nice. Cause then I could buy Goldeneye instead of having to watch Octopussy everyday on Spike. I hate Octopussy. I hope all the desi's don't attack me for hating Octopussy.

we need to go to the same med school

-a

ps. i'm not gay, i just love you

i'm trying to make a full time job out of getting this ipod thing. check it out in my link below!... i sound like a dork. oh well.

kinetic said:
It'll be another forty years before retirement. NOW how do you feel?

during which we'll have disposable income, vacation, and business trips. i feel quite good about it actually.

oh, oh, oh ME, ME, ME!!! i havent been doing squat for the past 8 months!! well over the summer it was cool cause i traveled a lot and then applications were pretty much my full time job...then i had interviews...in between weeks of just getting up at 10...watching CNN alternating with Dawson's Creek (yes, and whats sad is this is my 3rd time around watching the whole season..) working out, and staying up with my bf watching movies and going to starbucks for late night lattes....uh then he ruined our eternal pre-honeymoon and got a job! now im not doing crap all day and im by myself! im going to look for a job though. i was thinking of waiting tables, i hear you make decent $ for it. but i dont know...old, retired floridians are really annoying...jeffy..youve got the right attitude....youll get far in life my friend! :D

acl3623 said:
jeffy..youve got the right attitude....youll get far in life my friend! :D
:laugh: Jeffy owns ! :cool:

At least work out and get fit again, keep the body and mind sharp too.

btw, i'm assuming you guys graduated from college already and are just waiting for acceptances or w/e? if so, doesn't that mean that you have to start paying back your undergrad loans?

wow, im kinda like this and I hate the fact that I knew I would be; Like I did really well in college even tho i knew what was making me do good would not apply to the real world at all. How do you turn this around? Is it motivation?

freebird said:
I've noticed a disturbing trend among many of my highly-motivated, goal-oriented acquaintances: when deprived of being told what to do, they flounder. Many of these people seem perpetually unhappy, they are either "overworked" or "bored" depending on how much work they are assigned. A good deal of success, however, depends on being comfortable with oneself in one's "own" time and knowing how to make use of the gift of freedom and leisure.

I am pining for "free" time now and have a million and one ideas for what to do with it, starting with the sadly unread books on my shelf and ending with the dusty guitar in the corner.

If you're bored, check out worldhealthnews.harvard.edu, as well as the nytimes.com or the New Yorker - besides the news and op/eds, just reading the book reviews could spin off countless hours well-spent on recommended literature. hey, more exotic possibilities like roadtrips, foreign volunteer work, etc, are all out there for the taking as well. enjoy, you'll miss this time later on!

hahah I know all about thatHalo2 xbox live, i cry, weep, laugh, yell, so many emotions so much laziness.

Halflife 2 is where it's at :cool:

I'm 27. I worked full time through undergraduate. Worked full time and volunteered for the next five years. Took some time off while studying for the MCAT. Still working full time, but...
Okay, though, my job rocks. I'm a ski patroller in Tahoe for 50 hours/week (which is GREAT medical prep, let me tell you- I am using my EMT background and then some), so that's kind of like a year off. I also have another job to maximize paying for my extraneous expenses while I'm chained to the books for four years. :eek:
You are VERY VERY lucky if you get a year off and are supported by either your parents, a trust fund, your grandparents or the lottery. Don't feel guilty, just recognize that you are very lucky. Rock on, and enjoy.
If I had an x-box, I'd be all over it. I'm excited over my DVD player and "The Big Lebowski" (Dude!).

nikibean said:
I'm 27. I worked full time through undergraduate. Worked full time and volunteered for the next five years. Took some time off while studying for the MCAT. Still working full time, but...
Okay, though, my job rocks. I'm a ski patroller in Tahoe for 50 hours/week (which is GREAT medical prep, let me tell you- I am using my EMT background and then some), so that's kind of like a year off. I also have another job to maximize paying for my extraneous expenses while I'm chained to the books for four years. :eek:
You are VERY VERY lucky if you get a year off and are supported by either your parents, a trust fund, your grandparents or the lottery. Don't feel guilty, just recognize that you are very lucky. Rock on, and enjoy.
If I had an x-box, I'd be all over it. I'm excited over my DVD player and "The Big Lebowski" (Dude!).

Niki, where do you patrol at? I'm impressed that you're a pro-patroller in Tahoe, not an easy gig to get. How long were you volunteer patrol before you got hooked up? I skied for Cal, so I was up in Tahoe 3 days a week in the winter during my four years there. Have fun digging your car and bad bay area skiers out with all those storms!

AJ

acl3623 said:
jeffy..youve got the right attitude....youll get far in life my friend! :D

If by that you mean winning my 5th straight season on NHL '96 for the Sega Genesis, I think you're right. :cool: Man, I'm unstoppable with the Maple Leafs! :horns:

Ive got 6 months to kill till med school. Been workin, readin, hanging out, tryin to find a higher payin job. As far as job searchin is concerned and the problem with only workin 6 or so months, there is an easy solution.... don't tell the employer how long you plan on working for them; dont bring it up period.

Jeffy said:
If by that you mean winning my 5th straight season on NHL '96 for the Sega Genesis, I think you're right. :cool: Man, I'm unstoppable with the Maple Leafs! :horns:

I thought I was the last person on Earth with a functioning Genesis. Of course, I only have like two games for it anymore (Street Fighter being one). Time to invest in some gaming upgrades (it'll make the time pass much more quickly).

latinfridley said:
Ive got 6 months to kill till med school. Been workin, readin, hanging out, tryin to find a higher payin job. As far as job searchin is concerned and the problem with only workin 6 or so months, there is an easy solution.... don't tell the employer how long you plan on working for them; dont bring it up period.

if it was for some lame job at a store or something i wouldn't mind. but at a pharma company that needs me for over a year just for training - i just don't have the heart to screw them over like that. besides, once they said the words lots of responsibility, hard work, and challenging, they lost my interest.

kinetic said:
I thought I was the last person on Earth with a functioning Genesis. Of course, I only have like two games for it anymore (Street Fighter being one). Time to invest in some gaming upgrades (it'll make the time pass much more quickly).

I've been playing SNES everyday lately. :laugh: