Anyone else enjoy undergrad coursework way more than med school coursework?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which coursework did you enjoy more?

• Undergrad (pre-med) coursework

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • Med School coursework

Votes: 88 79.3%

• Total voters

MDPedigree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Been studying all day, and came to a realization. I feel like medical school is 90% memorization. I literally spent all day learning about the minutiae that separates the different brain tumors. The day before, I spent all day memorizing and watching sketchy to learn the autonomic drugs. The day before that I was memorizing drugs to treat gout etc. I feel like theres very little understanding involved, just know certain things. Heck, I feel like my professors call things "idiopathic" or "we don't know why this happens" half the time, and it's annoying sometimes (I know nothing can be done about this lol, can't make up a reason for a disease, but just adds to why studying can get annoying).

I feel like sometimes I'm just memorizing a glorified phone book (first aid). I was never a science person in high school, and so when I got to college I told myself I would force myself to like science because I wanted to be a doctor. It turns out, I ended up falling in love with a lot of my pre-med classes, mainly physics and orgo. Gen chem, physio and biochem weren't half bad either. I remember I used to enjoy study sessions of just sitting down and hammering away physics questions. I never felt like I was memorizing in undergrad, always understanding... even for bio classes. Honestly I would rather be doing calculus than memorizing all this stuff. I know it's important for the real world, and I take pride in learning this stuff that will someday treat patients, but its the process that's less than enjoyable.

P.S not saying I want to drop out of med school, I absolutely love this field and can not absolutely see myself doing anything else. Willing to do whatever it takes.

Sorry about the rant. Just wanted to know if anyone else felt similar.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of medical school is pure brute memorization. Add long hours, labs, etc and all work and no fun makes johnny a boring boy. The "fun" will come during clinicals when you put everything together. When you discover why it's the "art" of medicine when you make those diagnoses that are not supported in your tables/algorithms.

Undergrad you also had the option of other coursework that expanded your mind. I took a ton of literature, history, religion, economics. Upperdivision neuro course work, all of which were fun and exciting. I thought the literature classes would help me pick up chicks, unfortunately too many other people had the same idea. But history, so many of my peers are crazy history buffs so we have tons of fun with that.

Reactions: 3 users
Nothing was worse than having to write papers in undergrad that were arbitrarily graded

Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On one hand, I like med school classes because it feels like the knowledge that I'm gaining will actually be applied to something useful. At my undergrad, our science classes were very detail/problem oriented, and while the intellectual challenge could be nice, it also left me thinking: and so what? But I definitely agree with you on the fun of doing calculus/math, and I ended up really enjoying the many mandatory classics classes that my school required. I actually found the process of reading a literary text carefully, discussing it, putting an argument together very fulfilling.

I think there are ways to try and approach your learning in a more problem oriented way, if that would make you feel better. Regardless, I don't think you're an anomaly at all, my mentor always speaks similarly about his experiences in undergrad vs med school. But he told me that it gets better when you get to delve into a specialty and that he's very happy where he is now.

Nothing was worse than having to write papers in undergrad that were arbitrarily graded

Strangely enough, I loved writing papers. Mainly I loved beating the snot of humanities majors at their own game while I still did the sciences. Take that frat boys! Who's got the chick now, huh?! :-D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I second this feeling which is why I am planning on doing research as soon as possible. I suggest you ask the faculty at your school if you can get involved in their research too, especially if it pertains to some of the topics that you are learning about. It could be a decent outlet to flex those problem solving muscles. As opposed to just memorizing **** all day

Gotta learn the name and function of all the buttons before you can learn to fly the jet.

I despised undergrad but I can see why you feel this way. Get involved in research, that will probably help break up the memorization monotony.

Reactions: 2 users
Actually for me it's the opposite. I studied all day today and still had a smile on my face and ready for another full study day tomorrow. That said, I have not had a midterm and just started medical school a few weeks ago so i may still be in he honeymoon phase.

I love the fact that everything is connected and pertains to the medicine I hope to one day practice. It's ALL interesting to me. Instead of having some random a** project or essay to do for GE's when I have labs/midterms due for my core science courses.

Flipping hated university personally. Med school subject matter is 100x more interesting and fulfilling. Except for embryo. Shoot it twice.

I'd far rather deal with brute force memorizing med school minutiae that'll help establish the foundation of my career than deal with the gruesome torture of undergrad lab reports and painful problem sets.

Have to learn a lot of different ingredients if you’re gonna be a decent chef.

I never really bought much into the whole “art” of medicine idea until I watched my psychiatry preceptor come up with a med management plan for multiple different diagnoses both psychiatric and medical. She was able to do that effortlessly bc she knows the minutiae of how all those meds work and interact cold and tailors it to the patient. If I didn’t grind like crazy in preclinical then I couldn’t have even followed what was happening.

Even with all that hard work, if she’s a chef then I’m over here burnin’ EZ Mac in the microwave lol so keep working hard.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah I do. but destroy boards and study hard regardless. the higher the echelon of medicine you enter the more motivated people you meet and the more well resourced places you have access to, giving you an easier time to do the creative thinking and problem solving with weird cases, research, or device innovation. Board scores are part of the equation to enter that echelon where the aforementioned statistically have a greater likelihood. Bite the bullet. I did. You will be thankful later.

There was a documentary I watched several years ago on an interesting "Islamic Idol" type phenomena. Kids from 3-12 around the Muslim world would journey from all over the world to compete in Egypt to sing verses of the Koran from memory. These kids were trained from the time they could speak to do this. Some were illiterate. None, because they were too young, had any real philosophical understanding of the depth of the text they were reciting. But the winner of the contest got a free trip to Mecca and presumably the opportunity to become an Islamic scholar and thus learn more critical thinking aspects later. This was a ticket out of poverty for many. So they committed to it. The documentary follows a middle class girl from South Asia, a poor boy from Central Asia, and a poor boy from Subsaharan Africa. These three all had exceptional memories but still memory limited the last boy, the youngest of the three a bit. Otherwise, their pitch was the limiting factor. On the other hand, memory eliminated the rest because they would forget verses so the judging Imams would mark them down. The rate limiting step was memory.

In the same way, on STEP exams, the rate limiter is memory but there is some fluid intelligence and reading speed required but a rather limited amount, such that some rich background and non historical partying carib med students I know who were poor SAT takers, poor MCAT takers on several attempts, but hardworkers and some similar DOs were finally rewarded with elite STEP1 and STEP2CK scores via disciplined memorization from the correct resources. On the other hand, I know some naturally good test takers fall very fast down the wrong path. I was almost one of them. But I caught myself just in time.

Do not take this lightly. Do your due diligence and memorize the crap out of first aid, pathoma, and UWorld diagrams. Learn some of the critical thinking needed in biostats or understanding negative feedback. But remember the base of it all is increasing crystallized knowledge base to a point where your fluid intellect and luck are your only rate limiters, a rare point and thus a rare feat to achieve.

On a side note, I wondered why I saw uberreligious kids of all faiths frequently destroy it in med school. Later I learned they just had more practice with heavy discipline than I did.

The documentary:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I do. but destroy boards and study hard regardless. the higher the echelon of medicine you enter the more motivated people you meet and the more well resourced places you have access to giving you an easier to do the creative thinking and problem solving with weird cases, research, or device innovation. Board scores are part of the equation to enter that echelon where the aforementioned statistically have a greater likelihood. Bite the bullet. I did. You will be thankful later.

There was a documentary I watched several years ago on an interesting "Islamic Idol" type phenomena. Kids from 3-12 around the Muslim world would journey from all over the world to compete in Egypt to sing verses of the Koran from memory. These kids were trained from the time they could speak to do this. Some were illiterate. None, because they were too young, had any real philosophical understanding of the depth of the text they were reciting. But the winner of the contest got a free trip to Mecca and presumably the opportunity to become an Islamic scholar and thus learn more critical thinking aspects later. This was a ticket out of poverty for many. So they committed to it. The documentary follows a middle class girl from South Asia, a poor boy from Central Asia, and a poor boy from Subsaharan Africa. These three all had exceptional memories but still memory limited the last boy, the youngest of the three a bit. Otherwise, their pitch was the limiting factor. On the other hand, memory eliminated the rest because they would forget verses so the judging Imams would mark them down. The rate limiting step was memory.

In the same way, on STEP exams, the rate limiter is memory but there is some fluid intelligence and reading speed required but a rather limited amount such that some rich background and non historical partying carib med students I know who were poor SAT takers, poor MCAT takers on several attempts, but hardworkers and some similar DOs were finally rewarded with elite STEP1 and STEP2CK scores via disciplined memorization from the correct resources. On the other hand, I know some naturally good test takers fall very fast down the wrong path. I was almost one of them. But I caught myself just in time.

Do not take this lightly. Do your due diligence and memorize the crap out of first aid, pathoma, and UWorld diagrams. Learn some of the critical thinking needed in biostats or understanding negative feedback. But remember the base of it all is increasing crystallized knowledge base to a point where your fluid intellect and luck are your only rate limiters, a rare point and thus a rare feat to achieve.

On a side note, I wondered why I saw uberreligious kids of all faiths frequently destroy it in med school. Later I learned they just had more practice with heavy discipline than I did.

The documentary:

Not sure where you see these hoards of Caribbean students doing well. Most of the IMGs that do well are non-US IMG. Just look at the step 1 form

Not sure where you see these hoards of Caribbean students doing well. Most of the IMGs that do well are non-US IMG. Just look at the step 1 form

I never said hordes. I gave a specific type. If an exam is too heavily fluid intellect based, even those types, even with mammoth effort, should not have success. But they do. Also, we rotate with a ton of Carib students from St. Georges. A good chunk do have, what some would consider, shockingly high scores (like top 10%, scores, the type that wouldn't bar entry into good programs in all fields for a US MD grad lets say).

I never said hordes. I gave a specific type. If an exam is too heavily fluid intellect based, even those types, even with mammoth effort, should not have success. But they do. Also, we rotate with a ton of Carib students from St. Georges. A good chunk do have, what some would consider, shockingly high scores (like top 10%, scores, the type that wouldn't bar entry into good programs in all fields for a US MD grad lets say).
You never know if they're in the Caribbean for another reason (i.e IA, cheating etc.)

You never know if they're in the Caribbean for another reason (i.e IA, cheating etc.)

understood. I come from a background where a lot of kids are pushed to do medicine regardless of whether or not they have much innate academic knack. A nice chunk of the specific subgroup I specified on my first post in this thread come from it. Please reference that specific grouping. I already addressed your point from the get go. There are enough kids who did everyrhing right nust just sucked at standardized tezts their whole lives but kill USMLE exams. This isn't magic. These exams are not meant to be aptitude assessments. It can be argued for good reason. They are minimal competency knowledge assessments that have been turned into a memorization arms races, given the dearth of other good objective data to cross compare applicants.

understood. I come from a background where a lot of kids are pushed to do medicine regardless of whether or not they have much innate academic knack. A nice chunk of the specific subgroup I specified on my first post in this thread come from it. Please reference that specific grouping. I already addressed your point from the get go. There are enough kids who did everyrhing right nust just sucked at standardized tezts their whole lives but kill USMLE exams. This isn't magic. These exams are not meant to be aptitude assessments. It can be argued for good reason. They are minimal competency knowledge assessments that have been turned into a memorization arms races, given the dearth of other good objective data to cross compare applicants.
How would you define "suck" for standardized testing. What score(s) specifically?

Also agree with OP. There was some annoying memorization in premed (looking at you, Biology coursework). But that was balanced by a lot of coursework like calculus and stats, physics, organic and biochem, or philosophy where memory was much less important than reasoning and problem-solving.

Now in med school it's the reverse relationship. You'll have to dust off your brain occasionally when learning things like EKG reading or to quickly solve the up-and-down arrow tables on endocrine questions for your boards. But the vast majority of the time, your job isn't to think, but to know.

How would you define "suck" for standardized testing. What score(s) specifically?

Poor in the context of what you expect for a top 10% med student nationally. These kids are form well resourced towns, many with tiger parents that pushed them to study. So the argument that they didn't try earlier, I just don't buy it. sub 1300/1600 SAT after multiple attempts or 2000/2400. Sub 30 MCAT after multiple attempts and a lot of studying. These kids almost all uniformly had decent GPAs in life sciences and tended to struggle in classes like physics. Surprise, surprise.

Also many top schools with elite MCAT scorers have STEP averages in the 230s, above the national average but not buy much. Yet the median MCAT is like 95th percentile. So you would expect say at least 70th percentile STEP1 average. I also don't buy the whole "Oh they are smarter but don't try as hard." Through various national organizations (you can start to guess which ones), I have met many. Uniformly, med students all work very hard, for the most part. And yes, I do think in a conventional sense kids at top schools are smarter. They tend to have more fluid intelligence and a more well rounded intellect. But, as seen by the fact that their boards scores are NOT much better, this once again proves the nature of USMLE exams. This says a lot about STEP1 and thus the first two years of medical school, insofar as it is the surrogate marker and the biggest residency screening tool.

If you mosey on down to the step1 subreddit, it's not hard to find people with average or below-average MCAT scores who busted their ass and beat 90-95% of their peers on the boards. You can't really see it happening with way below average scores, because those people don't usually get into med school in the first place.

They're just very different tests. MCAT is a lot harder to improve on through effort, that's why you see people studying hard for it but taking it multiple times with noncompetitive scores. Step1 you can brute force much more reliably. That's also why you can inversely see people with 100th percentile MCATs come into dedicated and hit far below average on their first practice tests. That reflects deficiency in their knowledge, they have more than enough test-taking aptitude.

If you mosey on down to the step1 subreddit, it's not hard to find people with average or below-average MCAT scores who busted their ass and beat 90-95% of their peers on the boards. You can't really see it happening with way below average scores, because those people don't usually get into med school in the first place.

They're just very different tests. MCAT is a lot harder to improve on through effort, that's why you see people studying hard for it but taking it multiple times with noncompetitive scores. Step1 you can brute force much more reliably. That's also why you can inversely see people with 100th percentile MCATs come into dedicated and hit far below average on their first practice tests. That reflects deficiency in their knowledge, they have more than enough test-taking aptitude.

I don't disagree. The MCAT is harder to improve through effort for a reason. It is more of a fluid intelligence aptitude test. The STEP1 is less of one. Test taking aptitude is rarely the rate limiter for most people. We can argue all day if a 270 requires some elite aptitude. Maybe that does. But that is a pointless argument, given 250+ is mostly the same. I think that score is doable for the vast majority of med students. I also have linked on numerous occasions published data showing the average MCAT for top subspecs is like a 32. They have 50th percentile MCAT scores to get in yet 85th percentile STEP1 scores on average. Again, that speaks to the nature of the exams and thus the nature of the first two years and what it is really mostly about.

Ortho 31.7
ENT 32.5
CT Surg 32.5
Vascular 31.9
Neurosurg 32.4

An aside:
By the way, the LSAT is the most fluid intelligence based. But I think there is an interesting point to note here for it. People do improve on it. So to say baseline is all that matters is false. My good friend went from low 150s to high 170s. I believe he beat Ben Shapiro's LSAT score. I did something similar on the SAT going from high 1900s to mid 2300s or the equivalent of 1200s to mid 1500s. I and many of my friends on the MCAT went from lows 30s to high 30s in a few weeks, though some took a few months because of a weak baseline in high 20s. The thing is improvement CAN be seen even on those. Baseline does tell part of the story but not all of it. The degree of improvement depends on innate fluid intellect abilities. So one's potential is the best indicator of it rather than baseline, a rather nuanced point.

Poor in the context of what you expect for a top 10% med student nationally. These kids are form well resourced towns, many with tiger parents that pushed them to study. So the argument that they didn't try earlier, I just don't buy it. sub 1300/1600 SAT after multiple attempts or 2000/2400. Sub 30 MCAT after multiple attempts and a lot of studying. These kids almost all uniformly had decent GPAs in life sciences and tended to struggle in classes like physics. Surprise, surprise.

Also many top schools with elite MCAT scorers have STEP averages in the 230s, above the national average but not buy much. Yet the median MCAT is like 95th percentile. So you would expect say at least 70th percentile STEP1 average. I also don't buy the whole "Oh they are smarter but don't try as hard." Through various national organizations (you can start to guess which ones), I have met many. Uniformly, med students all work very hard, for the most part. And yes, I do think in a conventional sense kids at top schools are smarter. They tend to have more fluid intelligence and a more well rounded intellect. But, as seen by the fact that their boards scores are NOT much better, this once again proves the nature of USMLE exams. This says a lot about STEP1 and thus the first two years of medical school, insofar as it is the surrogate marker and the biggest residency screening tool.
Hopefully I don't fall into any of these groups that you dislike

I don't disagree. The MCAT is harder to improve through effort for a reason. It is more of a fluid intelligence aptitude test. The STEP1 is less of one. Test taking aptitude is rarely the rate limiter for most people. We can argue all day if a 270 requires some elite aptitude. Maybe that does. But that is a pointless argument, given 250+ is mostly the same. I think that score is doable for the vast majority of med students. I also have linked on numerous occasions published data showing the average MCAT for top subspecs is like a 32. They have 50th percentile MCAT scores to get in yet 85th percentile STEP1 scores on average. Again, that speaks to the nature of the exams and thus the nature of the first two years and what it is really mostly about.

Ortho 31.7
ENT 32.5
CT Surg 32.5
Vascular 31.9
Neurosurg 32.4
I will the MCAT is heavily research and experimentally based. I think that somewhat skews the results. I think a student who spent 5 years doing PCR in a lab and learning all about experimental design will do better than the next person.

Hopefully I don't fall into any of these groups that you dislike

Brother why would I dislike them. And more importantly, who cares what I think of you. I am a random SDN poster. My opinion is just that, albeit I'd like to believe it is generally supported by decent inference from facts and good intuitive argumentation. But hey I get enough stuff wrong in all aspects of life. I am still learning myself.

I don't know you or your story. I don't dislike you. I surely don't dislike some of those kids I described. I admire them for their grit and sticking through even when things were not genetically in their favor to a point that was more in the favor of their gifts and motivation.

Yes there is heavy research bias on the MCAT. But humanities majors tend to have higher scores than science majors, when one looks at the data. If it was that research skewed, this would not be the case.

Brother why would I dislike them. And more importantly, who cares what I think of you. I am a random SDN poster. My opinion is just that, albeit I'd like to believe it is generally supported by decent inference from facts and good intuitive argumentation. But hey I get enough stuff wrong in all aspects of life. I am still learning myself.

I don't know you or your story. I don't dislike you. I surely don't dislike some of those kids I described. I admire them for their grit and sticking through even when things were not genetically in their favor to a point that was more in the favor of their gifts and motivation.

Yes there is heavy research bias on the MCAT. But humanities majors tend to have higher scores than science majors, when one looks at the data. If it was that research skewed, this would not be the case.
I was partly kidding. I don't think I'm in those groups. I also think that's because there's also a large humanities/speed-reading component to the exam as well. Experimental knowledge and reading and analyzing experiences is a skill that most traditional science classes don't teach. I also think that the resources for the MCAT were worse than what's out there for step 1 too

Back to the original question...

In undergrad, I took essentially the bare minimum of science classes and filled up my schedule with the arts, literature, philosophy, etc. I enjoyed that so much more. But here I am in med school, so I get my humanities kick by doing research. I do find some of the science boring... but some is interesting! It's a balance.

It gets more interesting after med school and you have time to slow down and process everything with real patients.

Other than anatomy and one decent organ system, I despised preclinicals. I thoroughly enjoyed physics and organic chemistry but hated the meiosis, mitosis part of the premed curricula. Irrespective, >50% of medical school (pre and post clinical) is about senseless memorization and playing the step 1/2 "game". Clinicals are a whole lot better. 4th year is vacation after your sub-is.

Last edited:
Slightly off-topic. I enjoyed the pre-clinical side of med school more than the clinical years.

In my internal medicine rotation I remember that I considered throwing myself down a set of stairs in an attempt to fracture something and get myself suspended for a week. Never did, but it crossed my mind more than once.

Preclinical was fun, everybody was optimistic and actually thought they liked medicine. Ehhh.

A lot of medical school is pure brute memorization. Add long hours, labs, etc and all work and no fun makes johnny a boring boy. The "fun" will come during clinicals when you put everything together. When you discover why it's the "art" of medicine when you make those diagnoses that are not supported in your tables/algorithms.

Undergrad you also had the option of other coursework that expanded your mind. I took a ton of literature, history, religion, economics. Upperdivision neuro course work, all of which were fun and exciting. I thought the literature classes would help me pick up chicks, unfortunately too many other people had the same idea. But history, so many of my peers are crazy history buffs so we have tons of fun with that.
I enjoyed ms1 and 2 more in retrospect than Ms3 (ms4 of course is the best year). Third year was literally just showing up and given bs tasks. I felt years one and two (although brutal), really were challenging and I felt like I learned something everyday. I could make my own schedule and did things how i wanted. Third was “be here at this time” for no reason/ there was nothing to be done or i wasn’t needed but just required to be there

Slightly off-topic. I enjoyed the pre-clinical side of med school more than the clinical years.

In my internal medicine rotation I remember that I considered throwing myself down a set of stairs in an attempt to fracture something and get myself suspended for a week. Never did, but it crossed my mind more than once.

Preclinical was fun, everybody was optimistic and actually thought they liked medicine. Ehhh.
If you like being a learner more than note writing machine, remember Rads is rad. Check it out!

Also, the new interns during my sub-I were joking about how they should try to catch COVID to get suspended for two weeks.

In summation: r a d i o l o g y

I enjoyed ms1 and 2 more in retrospect than Ms3 (ms4 of course is the best year). Third year was literally just showing up and given bs tasks. I felt years one and two (although brutal), really were challenging and I felt like I learned something everyday. I could make my own schedule and did things how i wanted. Third was “be here at this time” for no reason/ there was nothing to be done or i wasn’t needed but just required to be there

Yeah, I feel like I'm going to really hate most of third year; it's like extreme inefficiency 24/7

Yeah, I feel like I'm going to really hate most of third year; it's like extreme inefficiency 24/7
it is, its like 1hr of work but you gotta be there for 10+hrs. What I could not stand the most [except on surgery where I was actually needed], they would give us busy work. "Go take a hx on that patient"....oh you mean the one thats been admitted now for 5 days...like uhhhh no, give me something useful to do

• Sad
it is, its like 1hr of work but you gotta be there for 10+hrs. What I could not stand the most [except on surgery where I was actually needed], they would give us busy work. "Go take a hx on that patient"....oh you mean the one thats been admitted now for 5 days...like uhhhh no, give me something useful to do

God...gonna have to learn the art of being everywhere but nowhere at once so that I can be seen just enough with the letter writers and but not enough to be busy worked away or scutted out. Like I've got actual studying to do, lol

God...gonna have to learn the art of being everywhere but nowhere at once so that I can be seen just enough with the letter writers and but not enough to be busy worked away or scutted out. Like I've got actual studying to do, lol

This is not the attitude to have during third year. Not at all.

I don’t think this will work out the way you want it to...

This is not the attitude to have during third year. Not at all.
I don’t think this will work out the way you want it to...

I like to exaggerate and mess around on here, so yeah...hope that clarifies things a little, lol

Hahaha! Those students are easy to spot! When I was a resident, I always chose them to hold retractors on those really long vascular cases.

• Haha
Third year sounds boring from what everyone is saying. Can we use our phones? How do we not twiddle our thumbs and actually do something?

Undergrad should primarily teach you how to study and research things.

Medical school becomes more worth it when residency starts. That’s when the rubber really meets the road and you learn what really matters for patients.

Third year sounds boring from what everyone is saying. Can we use our phones? How do we not twiddle our thumbs and actually do something?
third year isnt as bad as we are making it out to be. There were plenty of times where I was like "I wanna go home and study/ work out/ play some league bc this is boring and I don't need to be here" but there were lots of times were I learned a lot, saw very interesting things and glad I was there! Every day in third year is different, just take it one day at a time.