Anyone else experiencing post-M1 summer laziness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JosephFaecesMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I had all these ingenious plans to study m1 material, take nbme shelf exams, review rid. simple micro, etc, etc. bla bla bla.

Yea, i'm doing "research," but I find myself completely unmotivated to do anything school related. Just wanted to make sure I'm not the only one...

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I had all these ingenious plans to study m1 material, take nbme shelf exams, review rid. simple micro, etc, etc. bla bla bla.

Yea - same boat here. Thinking about it, though, M1 was too much of a grind to not take a break in the summer. Next year will be another grind without a summer to look forward to, so I'm happy enough giving my brain a little break now :D.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the same way, i brought my costanzo some brs stuff and rid. simple micro, well as of right now my costanzo is being used as a furniture support and waking up to no alarm has to be the best feeling now. enjoy it now cause some a few weeks from now it'll be gone.

I was planning on reviewing Anatomy and listening to Goljan lectures at the gym every morning.

Instead, all my Anatomy notes are collecting dust somewhere and I've slept in and have only gone to the gym a couple times. And even when I do go work out, I crank up some Metallica instead of Goljan. Rock on :cool:

Additionally, I have a meeting with my research supervisor this week because she "has been concerned about my level of effort and initiative in the lab thus far". Kinda bummed about this, because I was hoping to get a ref letter from her by working in her lab this summer. But looks like I've already given her a bad impression :(

LOL These posts are cracking me up. I've done some 1/2 a..s stuff this summer, but I also think I've "rid" myself of some brain cells......

Some VERY passive reading of Costanzo's text (I stress VERY). Other than that, I'm kind of losing my f...ing mind. I actually can't wait to start up again.

Here's the deal guys/gals; As year II's we'll be learning some more interesting material. Medical stuff, you know? It may be more work, but people generally say it's more interesting. After all, the "normal" is cool and all, but that's not what we're here for....lol

As for board studying, the high yield material is all year 2 anyway, so..... (maybe I'm just consoling myself...)

Here's the deal guys/gals; As year II's we'll be learning some more interesting material. Medical stuff, you know? It may be more work, but people generally say it's more interesting. After all, the "normal" is cool and all, but that's not what we're here for....lol

As for board studying, the high yield material is all year 2 anyway, so..... (maybe I'm just consoling myself...)

my sentiments exactly

I was planning on reviewing Anatomy and listening to Goljan lectures at the gym every morning.

Instead, all my Anatomy notes are collecting dust somewhere and I've slept in and have only gone to the gym a couple times. And even when I do go work out, I crank up some Metallica instead of Goljan. Rock on :cool:

Additionally, I have a meeting with my research supervisor this week because she "has been concerned about my level of effort and initiative in the lab thus far". Kinda bummed about this, because I was hoping to get a ref letter from her by working in her lab this summer. But looks like I've already given her a bad impression :(

The trick is to jump up and down with joy every time someone mentions pipetting or whenever you get assigned the greatly interesting task of putting in samples in a spectrophotometer one by one for hours on end or something of the same nature.

no more dermatology for you!

no. Drinking 5 times a week takes lots of energy.

You'll be glad you took it easy the M1 summer after you're finished. Reviewing anatomy and physiology may seem like a good idea now, but you'll probably have forgotten it by the time your M2 summer rolls around. Step 1 studying consumes so much time you'll be glad you took a summer semi-off. Now, by all means do something cool. Volunteer, shadow doctors, do lab research, but don't sit in your room rememorizing the triangles of the neck.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yea, i'm doing "research," but I find myself completely unmotivated to do anything school related. Just wanted to make sure I'm not the only one...

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I've only been motivated to go out every night for the last 3 weeks. By the way, summer med student research is a joke.

I'm doing research too, and I spend most of my day figuring out how to do as little as possible. Thank goodness SDS gel electrophoresis takes two hours to run, that's two hours to go goof off and run errands. Then another two hours transferring to Western Blot membrane. So Monday and Tuesday are pretty light. I started out strong reading Robbins. Made it through about four chapters. So at least the first month or so back at school will be a little lighter. Read some Constanzo, that stopped about two weeks ago.

I'm doing research too, and I spend most of my day figuring out how to do as little as possible. Thank goodness SDS gel electrophoresis takes two hours to run, that's two hours to go goof off and run errands. Then another two hours transferring to Western Blot membrane. So Monday and Tuesday are pretty light. I started out strong reading Robbins. Made it through about four chapters. So at least the first month or so back at school will be a little lighter. Read some Constanzo, that stopped about two weeks ago.

Hehe....I thank the heavens that a DU600 spectrophotometer takes ~1/2 hour to warm up, and that I have to incubate my samples for a while before testing them. It gives me time to do...well...nothing. :D Although this week I've been involuntarily volunteered to come watch some surgeries in my time off...crap, how in the world did that happen? I'm 3 weeks away from starting medical school, why couldn't they just let me be free for these 3 weeks? Oh the shame.

After reading everything on this thread I feel like deferring another year. :oops:

Haha, let's just say that I'm going to have trouble finding the "on" switch for my brain this August, though I am excited to start.

...I've just been enjoying my free time too much! Part-time research and then party hardy...the video games must be played :laugh:

For those pre-m-I's who are trying to figure out how to have the best summer after m-I, take my advice and definitely plan out the most effective method to do the least amount of work and have the greatest amount of rewards.

In my case, i'm doing research for a prof who's exact words were, "I don't care where you work, just make sure to have the work done."

Translation: "Sleep in until noon, work from 2-5pm while playing ps2, go to gym, go out at night...repeat."

Key point: Stay ahead of prof's expectations. Honestly, people don't expect much from med students, so it's not terribly difficult to impress.

Potential reward from this summer: first author on paper in field of interest.

:laugh: I never ever even contemplated reviewing any of my M1 classes this summer. The closest I got was sorting my papers for an hour or two yesterday just to get them out of the way, but I tried to avoid reading anything. :D

I'm a bit lazy in that I have no remorse for punching out of work as soon as I can (in years past, I've aimed for 80 hour weeks), but I'm up at 6am every day to landscape or work on an ambulance.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I think your brain is smarter than you are. Why would you waste a perfectly great summer studying material when you could be resting, relaxing and preparing yourself for second year? Your brain needs the vacation and no matter what, your "post-M1 summer laziness" is its way of telling you to relax. You will have ample time to revue this stuff for boards, at the end of your second year. Pathology and Pharm are going to have built-in review of loads of M1 material anyway. Rest and enjoy yourself while you can. Next year at this time, you will be wanting this time back because you won't have as much vacation time. Party hearty and enjoy the summer. This is actually the last totally free time that you will have. You will be rested and ready to tackle second year with gusto.

Yes. I'm enjoying my last summer as much as possible. I consider actually purchasing my board reveiw books to be an accomplishment in itself.

Yes, I had grand plans of reading Dubins, reading 5 something chapters of Robbins, listening to a bunch of Goljan, and doing a lot of Neuroanatomy. But, the -itis (what I call laziness) wouldn't let me do too much...its a debilitating illness! I'm almost done with Dubin's (only cause its an entertaining book) and listened to like 2 Goljan lectures total sometimes during workouts (only cause he's entertaining as well). During the school year, I would simply fight the -itis off and keep pushing, but my immunity to it during the summer has been very weak...and I have no regrets...

I LOVE THIS THREAD!

I have read diddly-squat. I've done a little Saturday clinic volunteering, and am doing some odd jobs of o-chem tutoring and sewing, a very small amount of Ren Faire performing, and a lot of staring vacantly off into space. I'm so glad I'm not alone. Oh, and I learned to knit.