Anyone else feel behind?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishieFDR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing my sophomore friends post statuses about how they're studying for the MCAT/LCAT this summer. Many of my senior friends knew where they were going to school or going to work in the beginning of the year.

And here I am, taking summer classes to catch up and can't even think about applying until senior year or the year after. Taking a gap year or two is seriously the best thing that could happen to me and my GPA but it just feels weird not knowing what will be after school. I applied to my university ED so I pretty much knew the December of senior year where I was going.

Side question: When do you ask for a LOR? I might have some professors my junior year I'd like to ask, but I heard year old letters is not acceptable. Is this true? And how do they know they're old?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask for LoR as soon as you complete something and will not see that person for a long time (ie something you did over the summer, a professor you won't be taking next sem). Check with your prehealth office for rules on when letters are too late. For ex., mine holds letters for up to 5 years.

Ask for LoR as soon as you complete something and will not see that person for a long time (ie something you did over the summer, a professor you won't be taking next sem). Check with your prehealth office for rules on when letters are too late. For ex., mine holds letters for up to 5 years.
So it's not "old" ever? As long as my prehealth office holds it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely felt this way when I took my gap years. I'm applying this cycle and I've been out of school for 1 year so compared to other ppl I felt like I was behind. But seeing how many ppl wait to apply I don't feel this way anymore. In fact, there's ppl that wait longer, so no need to feell bad :)

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely felt this way when I took my gap years. I'm applying this cycle and I've been out of school for 1 year so compared to other ppl I felt like I was behind. But seeing how many ppl wait to apply I don't feel this way anymore. In fact, there's ppl that wait longer, so no need to feell bad :)
:D True, it is the best decision to make to make an application stronger, but I know I'll see half of my premed friends applying when I'm still cranking through some intro courses. Good luck!

:D True, it is the best decision to make to make an application stronger, but I know I'll see half of my premed friends applying when I'm still cranking through some intro courses. Good luck!
lol yea I get envious sometimes, but I think it was a good thing I had to wait. I feel like I'm much more mature and informed now and that it'll translate well in med school. Thanks! Don't get too down ;)